ATX Community

Client can't get PIN

Margaret CPA in OH

A client was notified some while ago that she was to receive a PIN.  She says she never received it and cannot get through by phone and seems to not be able to manage the website link having tried repeatedly.  She is giving up and wants to mail in the return although it will take months for her to get her refund badly needed.  I've held her off for one month and encouraged her to keep trying but now feel a bit guilty that it is one month after we could have mailed it.  Suggestions?

You think I can do it?  I sent her that link and she doesn't seem to be able to get through it.  I always get concerned in trying to do things for clients when I have to input the information which, of course, I know, but am not that person.  I haven't gone through the whole process myself.  I will at least ask her if she would like for me to try.

I am a bit suspicious that she received the letter with the PIN and didn't read down to the bottom to see it.  I have asked her to fax it to me because she actually never told me how she knew she was getting a PIN.  Other clients have just received the letter and provided it.  Sigh...it's always something...

1 hour ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

You think I can do it?  I sent her that link and she doesn't seem to be able to get through it.  I always get concerned in trying to do things for clients when I have to input the information which, of course, I know, but am not that person.  I haven't gone through the whole process myself.  I will at least ask her if she would like for me to try.

I am a bit suspicious that she received the letter with the PIN and didn't read down to the bottom to see it.  I have asked her to fax it to me because she actually never told me how she knew she was getting a PIN.  Other clients have just received the letter and provided it.  Sigh...it's always something...

Have her on the phone while you do it.

• Like 3

On 3/30/2021 at 10:01 AM, Margaret CPA in OH said:

I sent her that link and she doesn't seem to be able to get through it. 

A lot of browsers these days automatically block pop-up windows or other types of fill-in forms.  She may have to lower her security settings (or you may have to, if you help her) for that one site.  The settings are usually per-site so for the most part you don't have to reinstate them afterwards.  I have a couple of sites with pop-up login pages where I had to specifically allow the pop-ups to pop-up.

• Like 2

Yes, the browser issue is getting annoying.  For ages we've been told to use only IE then IE 11+.  I otherwise use Firefox.  During my trials getting back to e-services, the help desk had me use Chrome because it seems IE sometimes causes problems.  She said they weren't supposed to deviate from IE but have found that sometimes only Chrome will work.  So for IRS e-services, I now use Chrome.  Clearly Lion's mileage has varied from mine!

• Like 2

I use IE by default for eservices, but when I'm having issues I fire up Chrome or Firefox. Firefox is my main browser as well.

I just had to switch to Chrome for my online banking because it's not working with Firefox on my work computer, even though it still works fine with Firefox on my home computer. Go figure.

As long as one of my browsers works, I'm good.

• Like 1