ATX Community

Is there a fix for this one? ATX won't start

BulldogTom

I've run into this a number of times when trying to open prior years' programs.  Rebooting helps sometimes but not always.

I did have this happen once with this year's program a few weeks ago.  Rebooting didn't help.  I ended up doing a system restore, and that resolved the problem.  I believe an anti-virus (not anti-virus itself, but related security; I use Norton) software update was the culprit, but I'm not sure.

I hope this helps.

Always suspect your security software first. Turn it all off and see if the problem persists. Some security software is hard to turn off but they usually have a pause feature. Or you can try killing the tasks in Task Manager.

Have you tried (or even heard of) the ATX Database Repair batch files?

https://support.cch.com/kb/solution/000048310/15000

https://support.cch.com/sfs/solution/000041746/000041746

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For this problem I have always used Abby’s first link above.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services then restart 2020 but sometimes I would need to close then start the service.  If you have previous years you may have to restart all of them.  It’s a fickle program at times but rarely happens now.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.   Un-installed my virus software, restarted the services on all ATX software and the problem went away.   Going to see what happens when I re-install my antivirus software.

Did not use Abby's repair batch files, but I will keep this in mind.

Appreciate you all.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

You probably want to contact ATX Technical Support first thing Tuesday morning.

This is a privately-run community for tax preparers, some of whom use ATX in their practices. Maybe an ATX user has encountered your problem and has a solution, but reach out directly to ATX. There's also an ATX-sponsored chat that might provide technical help.

11 hours ago, Randall said:

I don't get the message of the original poster.  But off and on this year, I would click on the ATX icon to open it and nothing happens.  I restart and all is well.  But this is something new to me this year.  Not sure what's going on.

I get it every other week. You don't need to restart, you need to "end task". Open task manager look for ATX2022 instance and "end task".

• Like 3

On 4/23/2021 at 9:49 AM, MarlonH said:

I've run into this a number of times when trying to open prior years' programs.  Rebooting helps sometimes but not always.

I did have this happen once with this year's program a few weeks ago.  Rebooting didn't help.  I ended up doing a system restore, and that resolved the problem.  I believe an anti-virus (not anti-virus itself, but related security; I use Norton) software update was the culprit, but I'm not sure.

I hope this helps.

Yeah, I wouldn't let any Norton products anywhere near my computers. I tried a few about 20 years ago and had to uninstall all of them.

• Like 3