ATX Community

4/15/08 Unable send Efiles

ed_accountant

Yeah,

I was hoping to be done by now, but I have to stick around until I can transmit 3 efiles (& hopefully get my acks). And everytime you try to send and get a "server error", you have to recreate the efile. How annoying and unprofessional can they get?

I have about 25 returns that pickuped today and needs to be efile not counting all the extension that I want to go out today. I can paper file extension but not returns. God what a mess. On top of that I came in early today to get some last minute things done and my power went out for about 1 and half hours. What a day. Every year I say I will do nothing on the 15th but here I am again.

From the ATX Website:

High volume April 14-15 is generating "server errors"

04/14/2008

We are experiencing very high efile volume today, 14th, and expect that to continue tomorrow too of course. We are seeing more "server errors" today than usual, and there is no action needed. Simply keep trying to send your efiles. This high efile volume translates into higher call volume to the CS Dept and our wait times are much longer than usual. We have added staff, increased hours, shortened lunches, and extended our closing time to 11pm tonight.

I'm not having any luck either. I've tried to send two e-files on two different attempts and I also get a server error. The explanation that this is a high-volume day is unacceptable. The've had an infinite amount of time to get extra server capacity, if this is an CCH flaw. If this is an IRS flaw, than I can't blame CCH. But I doubt it's IRS because the drain occurs twice a day to the IRS.

Are Drakes users having the same issues?

I recall this happened last year, same exact issue. I waited until after 6pm and efiled everything without any issues.

I'll try after 6PM, then.

Have one last return to e-file and have been trying every few minutes for an hour now; all server rejects. Even called tech support, they admit both ATX and TaxWise are having major server problems due to volume. Also, since these are EFC rejects, the reject code doesn't qualify for "timely filed". Which means it will be _their_ fault if our clients can't timely file.

I am decidedly ticked off.

Catherine

I recall this happened last year, same exact issue. I waited until after 6pm and efiled everything without any issues.

This is not good for the first time tax preparer. I wasn't expecting this. I started having funny feeling in my stomach. I hope it's gonna be just fine after 6pm as you said.

This is the very reason I do not work on the 15th. I ask all my clients to pick up their stuff by about 4 days before the 15th. All extension have to be done by the 10th. Had one friend that I did file an extension for him today but no other exceptions. There is no need of me having a heart attack over someone else's procrastination. I am doing my bookwork for payroll deposits and sales tax returns but not dealing with PEOPLE! Beach next week if that light at the end of the tunnel is not a damn train. Love all my ATX Family on the unoffical site!

I've been efiling with ATX for several years now and this is the first year I have ever encountered this problem. This is the latest I have ever had to be in the office on April 15th and I'm not very happy about it but as of a few minutes ago I FINALLY got all my returns transmitted and they all show "Validated by EFC" so I hope that's a good sign. I am outa' here! Hope everyone enjoys their evening!

does all softwares have same problem on or around april 15th? (proseries and such)

ProSeries had HORRIBLE problems last year (along with TurboTax) and got an extra week from the IRS to get everything through. Not only did their servers clog -- they CRASHED. And couldn't be revived easily (if memory serves).

It will be interesting to see how widespread the problem is this year -- all the extra filers because of the stimulus payment may end up with _everybody_ clogged.

Catherine

This is the very reason I do not work on the 15th.

I say this every year. I sure hope I can make it happen next year. The nutty people show up on April 15. These things actually happened to me:

Person #1 (carrying folder full of crap): I could probably do this myself...

Me: OK, good! Thanks!

Person #2: I did my own return and don't know where to mail it.

Me: Do you owe or are you getting a refund?

Person #2: Well, I don't owe.

Persons #3, 4, 5: Say nothing. #3 slids a stimulus package across my desk. It has #4's name on it.

Me to #3: Didn't you claim #4 as a dependent?

Person #3: Yes.

Me: Didn't you call me a month ago and ask about this, and I told you #4 does not qualify for rebate?

Person #3: Yes, but we wanted to be sure.

(I still have no idea who #5 is.)

I hope I am not at my office ever again on April 15...

This is the very reason I do not work on the 15th. I ask all my clients to pick up their stuff by about 4 days before the 15th. All extension have to be done by the 10th. Had one friend that I did file an extension for him today but no other exceptions. There is no need of me having a heart attack over someone else's procrastination. I am doing my bookwork for payroll deposits and sales tax returns but not dealing with PEOPLE! Beach next week if that light at the end of the tunnel is not a damn train. Love all my ATX Family on the unoffical site!

Next year will be second year of my tax business. What do you say if someone new comes for a return on Apr 13th? I am tempted not to accept return after April 10th next year, but afraid of bad publicity. Suggestions?

What I said today, come on in and we'll file an extension. Here it is, go to the mailbox. I'll get to your stuff next week, or the week after. but this is the first year everyone who came in the last week all went on extension, and some that came in earlier. I'm just getting a lot busier. So if you've got the time, do it, but if you don't, don't. And don't be afraid to tell them extension. They know they've waited too long!

What I said today, come on in and we'll file an extension. Here it is, go to the mailbox. I'll get to your stuff next week, or the week after. but this is the first year everyone who came in the last week all went on extension, and some that came in earlier. I'm just getting a lot busier. So if you've got the time, do it, but if you don't, don't. And don't be afraid to tell them extension. They know they've waited too long!

I agree. I have a few tough ones here that brought in their stuff at the end of March. I told them it was doubtful, and that I would get extensions and get the returns done as soon as I could. Almost everyone is fine with this. I had one to bring stuff on 4/14, expecting me to get it done. I don't care if I had nothing to do, I would have gotten them an extension. He said, "Well, I'll just take it to HRB." I am glad to see them leave when they have that attitude. Course they'll be back next year when they think about the difference in price. I really think they were afraid of not getting the rebate. I'm sure the HRB fee ate up at least half of the rebate.

Anyway, don't be afraid to lose people like that. You are better off without them.

Yeah, my extensions were told 'I'll make sure you don't owe anything and if you do I'll give you a rough estimate.' EVERYONE coming in or making an appointment for after March 31 was told that. Last saturday and sunday were a frenzy of entering data like all income and expenses until they got to refund status, then add 4868, create efile, next! so I've got a pile of semi prepared returns. Some just got the W-2 entered and I didn't bother with the piddly interest etc, refund, next! I really liked the refund indicator for this one, so all I really had to check was the state. Most are pretty much done, so I can finish 'em at my leisure.