ATX Community

Is there a "suggested donation" amount?

TaxCPANY

Dear Eric,

ONLY now have I learnt/recognized that this site depends upon contributions, just as my favorite *independent and non-commercial* radio-stations do. Just as those stations have, this site has borne me through the past few, horrific months when it seemed naught beyond my own resources could.

I would appreciate your naming an amount above which you would not feel your inestimable and essential services would be slighted -- or a range, allowing for the typical parsimony of sole practitioners. I just haven't a clue what would be a 'fair amount' to contribute in support of your project.

Gratefully yours, TaxCPANY

P.S. I'm posting this here because "[email protected]" rejected my first sending of this message.

Dear Eric,

ONLY now have I learnt/recognized that this site depends upon contributions, just as my favorite *independent and non-commercial* radio-stations do. Just as those stations have, this site has borne me through the past few, horrific months when it seemed naught beyond my own resources could.

I would appreciate your naming an amount above which you would not feel your inestimable and essential services would be slighted -- or a range, allowing for the typical parsimony of sole practitioners. I just haven't a clue what would be a 'fair amount' to contribute in support of your project.

Gratefully yours, TaxCPANY

P.S. I'm posting this here because "[email protected]" rejected my first sending of this message.

I would also be interested to know what a "fair amount" would be as I would like to make a contribution to this great site.

Eric started this board out of the goodness of his heart. He's not about to tell you what to contribute. I just hope that you all will do at least some. Think how much benefit you have received, then try to put a dollar value on that, and then let your heart be your guide. He's paying out of his own pocket to keep this running. I was so blown away by what he'd done, in those bad days when CCH had just killed our board, that I was thrilled when he asked me to help by being his back-up Moderator. And while I try to contribute that way, I also donate at least a couple of times a year.

If every member would pitch in a bit of cash, either through PayPal or by check, no one would need to give a great deal. But realistically, not everyone will. So if you've had a good year, be generous. If things are tight, even $5 would still show that you appreciate what he does for us. I do hope that everyone will do at least that much.

I have a real hard time asking for money, but essentially what everyone has said here is right on the nose, especially the parts bout me being such a great guy :P

As for the e-mail address, I've created a new one that will redirect to the e-mail account that I check most often. Sorry about that!

Eric, we all thing you are a great guy. Are the donations covering your costs? And will they cover them for the rest of the year, when a lot of the users forget all about this board? If you need more, please at least let us know that, because we value this resource and will dig deeper if you need it.

Eric, we all thing you are a great guy. Are the donations covering your costs? And will they cover them for the rest of the year, when a lot of the users forget all about this board? If you need more, please at least let us know that, because we value this resource and will dig deeper if you need it.

Ditto here!!

Please let us know the status, so all of us that benefit so very much from this resource can make sure it stays viable. If everyone donates an amount equal to what they perceive is the value, then you should not have any trouble staying afloat.

Just be sure to keep us up to date!!!

Well Eric,

Made a donation tonight. Let us all know if you have enough for the board this year. and if I can ask, so we get an idea what to donate, how much does it take each month to keep running this community?

Joel

btw, I notice there are members, advanced members etc. So how did I get the honor of being an advanced member?

Is it because I make lots of advances???

Seriously though what distinguishes us there (and in jest, maybe my grey hair)

Joel

Are the donations covering your costs? And will they cover them for the rest of the year, when a lot of the users forget all about this board?

Yes, there is plenty in the account to cover the rest of the year, and then some. If this past year is any indication, bandwidth use will drop quite a bit over the next few months.

Well Eric,

Made a donation tonight. Let us all know if you have enough for the board this year. and if I can ask, so we get an idea what to donate, how much does it take each month to keep running this community?

I can't tie an exact number to the site's hosting costs, it now shares one of my dedicated servers with a few other sites. That server costs $375 per month plus a little extra if I go over my allotted bandwidth, of which atxcommunity.com uses about half. There are some other little fees for the domain name and forum software, but they don't add up to much.

btw, I notice there are members, advanced members etc. So how did I get the honor of being an advanced member?

KC is right, it's tied directly to how many posts you make.

0-24 posts = Newbie

25-99 posts = Member

100+ posts = Advanced Member

I could add as many of those as I wanted, in fact, maybe I'll add one for 500+ called ATXaholics Anonymous ;)

Actually, it's just a level you reach by making a lot of posts, or replies to posts. The more you post, the more 'advanced' you get.

OMG at this rate my hair will all be falling out.

Wondering if I should stop posting.

Kind of walking around hunched over all of a sudden. And been forgetting things more too.