ATX Community

Computer Glasses

mcb39

2 hours ago, mcb39 said:

After a recent eye exam, my Doctor gave me two prescriptions; one for everyday wear and one prescription for Computer and Document Reading only.  Am I correct in assuming that I can deduct the cost of the computer glasses as a business expense?

Make sure you track your business/personal usage so you only deduct the business use!!! 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, cbslee said:

I had a pair of computer glasses for several years, but it was a big pain switching back and forth.

Now I do fine with a pair of progressive bifocals although it did take about 6 months for my brain to adjust to the progressive bifocals.

I need slight (.75) magnification for paper/computer work.  However, then things are blurry in distance. I solved it by ordering glasses with left lens plain glass and right side with magnification.  Much easier to deal with than bifocals. 

• Like 2

These glasses will live on my desk.  He also prescribed progressive lenses in another pair for all around use.  We shall see how it goes.  Most of the time, I don't wear any or pick up a pair of cheaters.  However, lately I have had issues with reading the documents to enter into the tax returns.  I really have no qualms about deducting the expense.  I am certainly not going to track time.  It isn't that critical of a deal.  Thanks for your comments.  I already know that I will be sorry that I didn't have him put distance at the top because the bird feeders are right outside my office window.  Also have wild turkeys and deer walking around the yard quite often.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Lion EA said:

Get the blue-light-blocking computer glasses. Huge reduction in eye strain. Foster Grant has frequent sales if you don't need prescription (just reading, such as 1.50). Look for sale announcements on Facebook.

I will have blue-light-blocking, thank you.  kathyc2, I can't do the two different lenses because I only use one eye at a time.  Hey, remember that I am 80 and probably won't be changing prescriptions again.   At least I might be able to read the MTG without a magnifying glass.🧐

• Like 4

I got the Foster Grant blue light computer glasses on sale. Reading magnification for those tiny numbers on W-2s at the bottom (1.25-1.5), computer distance in the middle, and distance at the top so I can see a client across my desk or look out my window. I don't have to take them off, can walk around in them, sometimes forget I have them on. Also have a lamp on my desk, as well as recessed lights in the ceiling, because good light helps, too.

I have a pair on my desk, a pair in my briefcase for going to clients' sites, and a spare that are darker and show up well on Zoom, also. They were a real bargain on sale. Also, have an even cheaper Chinese pair on my bedside table for reading my Nook.

By February, my eyes were burning. As soon as I put on the blue light multi-distance glasses, my eyes felt better. When I told my ophthalmologist, he said his own kids wear them.

I did buy the three pairs I use for work from my business account as office supplies.

Take good care of your eyes!

• Like 4

I'll have to try the blue light blocking lenses. My progressive computer glasses live at the computer; there's a case there that holds my regular glasses when I switch. Never thought to deduct them, but they are right at my work-only computer and it's the only place I use them. 

I've found that with focus at computer distance they're fine to answer the door, fetch in the mail, talk to a client etc - they're all just a little fuzzy. I'd only try to drive in them if my regular glasses got crushed, though! And it would be straight to the eyeglasses store for replacements.

• Like 3

I'm shameless about this eyesight business.  I alternate between taking my glasses off to look at someone sitting across the desk, putting them on to look at the computer screen or read a document, and grabbing one of several magnifying glasses lying around when the text on a document is too small.  I'm thinking about mounting a magnifier on a swing arm on my desk so I can keep both hands free.  

• Like 6

Now that you mentioned it Lion, Amazon has several sellers of progressive computer glasses.  The trick is getting the right prescription.  I am glad that I took the plunge and ordered them custom made.  Just sorry that I didn't have the top left clear, but it might turn out to be all right.  They will never leave my desk, but I still have my old glasses for distance, although I seldom need that.  I can drive without glasses.  See better without them.  I am definitely going to deduct them as I have separate invoices and, believe me, nothing is inexpensive these days.  Had blue light put on my regular glasses as well.  One thing I do believe in is taking care of my eyes.  They are my greatest treasure and I am so thankful that they are basically healthy, just old.

• Like 5

I love the distance vision in my right eye after having cataract surgery last Wednesday.I am going crazy trying to work. I had super dry eyes and the healing process was so painful over the weekend. I have my right eye patched when I am working, because it is straining too much trying to help. They took out the lens in that my old glasses so that I can see my computer with my left eye. I am alternating them with two different kinds of readers for reading paperwork. My vision in the left eye is terrible and my right eye must have been carrying most of the load. I can't wait until Wednesday this week for that one to be fixed. I'm just hoping that the bad weather stays away until after my surgery. I'm having terrible headaches from the eyestrain.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Use saline eye drops, such as Refresh, many, many times per day. Eye doctor also has me on Restasis morning and night. The blue-light-blocking multi-focus glasses help a lot. And, close your eyes frequently during the day. Cataract surgery was a huge blessing. I was reading a restaurant menu after my first eye was done; something I couldn't do before with dim restaurant lighting and tiny fancy fonts on the menu. Hubby said I was just showing off!! I had both eyes done during December 2019.

• Like 4

I had the surgery several years ago and remember having similar issues as NECCPA.  They told me to use eye drops that were Preservative Free.  I had problems and my husband had none, we had surgery the same day by the same doctor.  I think the fact that I only use one eye at a time entered into it.  Just let me say that after the healing and the glasses adjustment is over; it is the most miraculous and wonderful thing that I ever experienced.  I couldn't read the numbers on the microwave without grabbing cheaters.  Now, much of the time I don't wear any glasses at all.  Once again I say that these new glasses are wonderful.  Nobody ever suggest blue light protection before.  It is a game winner.  Sun on a LOT of snow such as we have today, would have made it very difficult to work before.  For two years I struggled with glasses that they never could get right.  Went to a different vendor this time and what a difference.  

Good luck, happiness and a very happy Holiday Season to all of you.  We all know what lies ahead for us.💕🧐

• Like 2