ATX Community

Mileage rates increased

JRS

3. IRS Increases Mileage Rates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to rising gas prices, the mileage rate will increase by eight cents to 58.5 cents a mile for all business miles driven from July 1 through Dec. 31, 2008. The new rate for computing deductible medical or moving expenses will also increase by eight cents to 27 cents a mile. The rate for providing services for charitable organizations is set by statute, not the IRS, and remains at 14 cents a mile. See news release IR-2008-82 and Announcement 2008-63.

>>Most of my clients keep their mileage log on my office ceiling.<<

Is that what is known as "high level accounting" in your office?

I keep threatening to put a sign on my ceiling that says "There are no numbers up here, so I hope you are praying for God to give you divine inspiration."

And of course, the answer is always SALY - same as last year!!!!!

Tom

Lodi, CA

>>from July 1 through Dec. 31, 2008<<

Most of my clients keep their mileage log on my office ceiling. Now that they need TWO numbers, should I clear a space on my floor (which wouldn't be very easy) or devise some kind of split screen overhead?

Hmm, I think that would be an improvement if my clients kept it on my ceiling.

>>It makes you wonder if they are working on it.<<

It does NOT make me wonder that or anything else. There are changes and updates and new laws and discontinued laws every year. If they didn't put all the new stuff in, obviously the IRS wouldn't certify the software. This particular change has been done before, so it really isn't that big a deal for the programmers.

I guess I just worded that wrong. I wondered why ATX made no mention of it on their web site.

I enjoy some of the posts on this site - I've learned much, but everytime I make a post I get shot down. There have been times I said or complained no more than others but I seem to be the one to always get put in my place. I haven't been able to figure out why some possts are okay and some not. I don't feel like I have ever said anything to hurt anyone. I no longer feel welcome on this site.

I guess I just worded that wrong. I wondered why ATX made no mention of it on their web site.

I enjoy some of the posts on this site - I've learned much, but everytime I make a post I get shot down. There have been times I said or complained no more than others but I seem to be the one to always get put in my place. I haven't been able to figure out why some possts are okay and some not. I don't feel like I have ever said anything to hurt anyone. I no longer feel welcome on this site.

I think you are being overly sensitive. You certainly are welcome here. I did not get the sense that you are unwelcome or unwanted in any previous posts.

Don't feel bad about Jainen, he shoots everyone down. He really can be nice, but he is very precise in everything he posts, and points out sloppy wording and phrasing on all of us. It is actually very helpful to have him pick on you when you have a problem and need to see it from a different angle.

It may just be coincedence that you have gotten a couple of posts directed at you. Don't stop posting, because it is the interaction between us that makes it so helpful to the rest of us. It is uncomfortable sometimes being the object of the learning experience, but it makes us all better.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I haven't seen anything from ATX about the mileage rate increase, but Drake was nice enough to email me a reminder even though I'm not a paying customer (yet). They have my email address because I've been evaluating their software.

Looks like Drake has some marketing people who are on the ball. Doesn't cost them anything except a few extra electrons to stay in touch with me and now the goodwill extends even to this forum because I admire their foresight & marketing savy.

ATX could learn something from them if they didn't already know it all.

This is the sort of thing that ATX, when it was still ATX, did really well. William would post it in the News section, and also put a post on the Community Board. Now, you could argue that CCH is just assuming that their customers are all competent professionals who do not need to be reminded of things that we already get from the IRS Notes, etc. Or you could argue that they are just not that smart about marketing. I'd guess it's the second, but since we get that sort of notice not only from the IRS but also on here, I'm not going to care that much.

I do miss the old ATX attitude, but the software itself is still great, and so I'm not going to spend much time or thought on what is no longer there. I'll only get bothered when they don't tell us about changes THEY MAKE, that effect how the software works. Those we DO need, the other we get from multiple sources already. My 2¢.

I agree completely with you KC.

From a technical point of view I have few complaints about ATX - it has performed well for me. My problem stems from the fact that I wear a marketing hat in my other role. I admire good marketing & try to learn from it, and it irritates me when a company with a good product does such a dismal job of marketing as I've seen over the past 18 months with ATX

Actually, in spite of all that's been said, I do know what you mean. You want to be reassured that they know what's going on. I have faith that they'll get this part right, since they have to get it right in ATX, Taxwise and ProSystem. With three programs, it's not likely they'll miss a major change in tax law. On the other hand, I still don't plan to renew before fall, when I'll get around to thinking about it.

I received an email from Drake on 6/24/08 announcing this rate increase. They also stated that Drake will add fields to the C, Auto and 2106 screens.

I recieved no notice from ATX and when I checked MyATX, there was no mention of it there. It makes you wonder if they are working on it.

One of the instructors I had at HRB (that was a long time ago now) used to call these "God returns," since presumably that's where they hope to get the answers.

>>from July 1 through Dec. 31, 2008<<

Most of my clients keep their mileage log on my office ceiling. Now that they need TWO numbers, should I clear a space on my floor (which wouldn't be very easy) or devise some kind of split screen overhead?

--> One of the instructors I had at HRB (that was a long time ago now) used to call these "God returns," since presumably that's where they hope to get the answers. <--

That's different from my definition.

I'd consider a "God return" to be any return when my prayers that it won't be audited are more fervent than the client's prayers.