ATX Community

State E-file

imjulier

Hi gang-

I just found out about this "unofficial" ATX forum....I didn't know about it and went through withdrawls when ATX shut theirs down. Anyway, since everyone is "hanging out" in this forum I'll try this here as I got no response on the "official" forum. I live in Colorado and want to be able to e-file in CA and Ny since it seems like clients always need these states. Is there a way to apply with the states to e-file even if you don't live there?

Thanks for any input!

Julie

This should help, it is from the CA FTB website:

California e-file Program Enrollment Requirements (Individual and Business e-file)

Beginning August 2007, FTB no longer requires e-file providers to submit a separate enrollment application for authorization to electronically file individual or business tax returns.

Providers approved in the IRS Electronic Filing (e-file) Program are now automatically enrolled in the California e-file Program. In addition, we will automatically receive any updates that you make to your IRS account.

Requirements for e-file participation:

To be automatically enrolled in our e-file program, you must be an accepted participant in the IRS e-file Program. We receive confirmation from the IRS after they accept you into their program.

Use your IRS-assigned Electronic Filer Identification Number (EFIN) to e-file with FTB. If you transmit returns, use your IRS-assigned Electronic Transmitter Identification Number (ETIN) with FTB.

Comply with the guidelines in FTB Publication 1345, e-file Handbook for Authorized e-file Providers, and FTB Publication 1345B, Business e-file Handbook for Authorized e-file Providers of California Business Returns.

Once you receive your IRS EFIN, you can verify your enrollment with California by contacting our e-Programs Customer Service at (916) 845-0353.

Hi gang-

I just found out about this "unofficial" ATX forum....I didn't know about it and went through withdrawls when ATX shut theirs down. Anyway, since everyone is "hanging out" in this forum I'll try this here as I got no response on the "official" forum. I live in Colorado and want to be able to e-file in CA and Ny since it seems like clients always need these states. Is there a way to apply with the states to e-file even if you don't live there?

Thanks for any input!

Julie

I know that at some point several years ago, I had to file with Cal to e-file (one time only). Have been filing for the same client ever since. See post above. I had one return to file for Colorado this year (2007) and e-file went through fine with no separate registering. I am in WI. You can always check the website for the particular state as in www.Colorado.gov for further info.

Welcome to the club. I am sorry that it took you so long to find us. This is an awesome board.

As already stated it is no longer required to get approval from California. If you are accepted with IRS you are accepted with them.

I also was able to e-file to Oregon and New Mexico also without having to appply. So it looks like for the most part that IRS e-file registration is pretty much all that is needed.

Deb!

Welcome! I'm in CT and e-file a lot of NY returns with no extra paperwork. Haven't had a CA return lately. Used to paper file when one came along, but had read that I can now e-file CA as an out-of-state preparer with no extra paperwork as long as I don't step foot within CA to prepare returns nor advertise/solicit business within CA.

Note that many states no longer require we sign up directly, so long as we have been authorized by IRS.

Still you may not be able to efile a state when you have someone that lived in multiple states and you have to file part year resident returns. IL for one will not let you efile if you moved in or out of it to a state that does not border it.

Joel,

Can I e-file IL NR returns? I have farmland in Montgomery County, IL, so have an IL NR return in my own. When I was with that big green company, we could e-file only one state so e-filed CT and mailed in IL. Now that I can e-file multiple states, I'd just as soon e-file everything.

Well, I was checking with a PREPARER from the state involved. I'll check the IL web site. But, sometimes the practicality is different than the law, so I like to check with a real person who's actually filed a PY or NR return as well as read about the procedure on the web or hear about it from a state worker instead of a preparer.