ATX Community

16 Credits under my Belt

mcb39

NY/CT-ATP Annual Tax Update Seminar

Thursday 30 November - Friday 1 December

Danbury CT off I-84

Ryan Reichert/Brass Tax Presentations

We INCLUDE the printed book!

3-ring 2-3" binder with hundreds of pages (last year's was over 500 pages)

Continental breakfast, sit-down lunch (NOT buffet), morning & afternoon break snacks each day.

Cocktails 5-6:30 pm Thursday with hot & cold appetizers & 1 free drink included.

https://www.nyctatp.org/event/annual-tax-update-seminar-2/

Ethan Allen Hotel group room rate $109 + taxes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

I did the Auburn University's tax seminar in person a couple weeks ago.   I was impressed, and the price was great.   Printing a 650 page book was a workout for my printer, but it was cheaper than buying the book.

Tom
Longview, TX 

Time to invest in an Ipad or a notebook computer, you can even write notes on pdf documents.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Catherine said:

I've done a bunch online and will be at the NE IRS Representation Conference Nov 30-Dec 1. I think they still have online "seats" available. It's always fabulous.

https://irsrepconference.com/

Do you handle much representation? 

I'm currently doing my securities CE via FINRA due next October. Tax CE is done before vacation after tax season.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mcbreck said:

Do you handle much representation? 

I don't do tons of representation, but the information I've gotten from these has been enormously helpful. I've staved off more in-depth audits, I've known exactly how to respond to some of the stranger letters that clients get, I've known more what and how to ask about oddities I see in paperwork. Further, I know exactly when something starts to look like more than I want to handle, and who to contact in that case.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2023 at 12:46 PM, BulldogTom said:

I did the Auburn University's tax seminar in person a couple weeks ago.   I was impressed, and the price was great.   Printing a 650 page book was a workout for my printer, but it was cheaper than buying the book.

Tom
Longview, TX 

I did the same thing this morning, took me nearly 2 hours to print, punch, and prepare a hard copy notebook.  I will also be attending Auburn's seminar in Pelham, AL in December.  I see people with notebook computers that don't have to print, but the batteries don't last and there are not enough power outlets.

The Auburn school is the ages-old "Farm Seminar" developed by U of Illinois decades ago.  The material is still well-written, plenty of demonstrative examples which speak to us in plain straightforward language, not some stilted ethereal cumbersome phraseology.

• Like 4

I just attended Nebraska's webinar that is the "Farm Seminar" for 16 hours. I remember when I was still in college as an intern, starting our with these and going for years. I always swore that I would not be some of the "old people" dragging around their oxygen and snoring in class. My boss was one of them. I was 19 and I thought that he was probably 80. In retrospect, he was probably 60. LOL I still have another 8 hour tax update next month and any random ones that I can fit in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

I always swore that I would not be some of the "old people" dragging around their oxygen and snoring in class. My boss was one of them. I was 19 and I thought that he was probably 80. In retrospect, he was probably 60. LOL I still have another 8 hour tax update next month and any random ones that I can fit in. 

Isn't that the truth?  I don't have the oxygen but have been attending these classes since 2009.  My goal is to take away at least one new item of knowledge as well as the certificate and the credential.  Another successful year.  Happy learning to all of you!

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 12:34 AM, Lion EA said:

The University of Illinois Tax School still exists:

UMass Tax School still exists, too - but I don't recommend it. It used to be fabulous, and I went every year. Yes, there were old fogies sleeping and snoring (one guy always amazed me that he never fell off his chair!). The best ever Ethics class I ever attended was at one of those; all about the grey areas and when trying to help a client pushes the preparer, all unwittingly, against those limits. I learned SO much from that one class and it has really stuck with me. 

Unfortunately, the man running it retired and it was taken over by a self-important bimbo who made it all about her. It was awful, and useless, and annoying, and I stopped going after the first year she ran it. She had been one of their "featured speakers" for a couple of years beforehand, and I always gave her the worst reviews and written complaints. She was truly atrocious.