ATX Community

Phone technology- nt

kathyc2

I currently have Comcast Business for internet and phone for my home office and Verizon for my personal cell phone.

It seems people don't realize there is such a thing as a landline anymore and try to send a text to that number.  It used to be if someone tried texting a landline they would get a message to the effect but that no longer happens. And of course I don't receive any notification that someone tried texting to it.  I called Comcast to see what options were available and they suggested getting an additional cell phone and then transferring my landline number to it.  That seems like it may work, but then I realized I could no longer send or receive faxes. 

I don't get or send faxes very often, but it would be an issue to not be able to.  I've seen there are ways to mimic faxes to/from a computer.  Does anyone do that and how secure is it?

I'm open to other ideas how people navigate situations like this. 

I'm in a similar situation as OP.  Land line in my office, doubles for fax.  I don't get many faxes anymore, just come ons for vacations and such.  A few of my clients have my mobile number but I usually don't like to give that out to clients to avoid calls at any hour.  I'm trying to hang on a few more years, cutting back, hoping I don't have to get two mobile lines and all that.

• Like 2

I pay eFax annually to save a few bucks.

Send/receive very few faxes.

My all-in-one is not printing, so I need to replace it as it's my only copier (but not only printer and not only fax). It's connected to a second landline, so could return to that stand-alone fax when/if I get a new all-in-one. But that means changing my fax number on biz cards, with clients who do fax, etc.

Not sure what directions I'll go.

I have two landlines through Spectrum (Charter Communications) one for my office phone and one for fax.  It is reasonable and works out very well.  I have ATT for my cell phone.  I really don't mind clients calling or texting my cell phone.  I can always shut it off.  Because of OIH, I am trying to get packed to get out of Dodge for the weekend.  My landline is ringing nonstop.  Of course, I could let it go to voicemail, and will for the weekend.  I am getting away and will be coming back to the gates of Hell so need some R & R.  Surprisingly, the first week of filing was fairly quiet, but we are booked solid for next week.  Starting to book into March now.  In the meantime, all of my business receipts for 2023 are missing and I live in fear that my assistant put them in the burning.  I see the usual extension coming and am trying not to worry.  

On 1/30/2024 at 8:33 PM, Lee B said:

I think Abby has posted several times about using Google for faxes.

I gave up my fax line about 3 or 4 years ago, which hasn't caused me any problems.

I wish Google Voice would add a fax service. What I recommend is giving out a Google Voice number as your cell phone for clients. That way they can text you documents and you can save directly to your computer from your browser. You can also type texts to your clients on your computer.

I have mine set to not forward or ring, but just take messages, if someone calls. Google does a fairly good job of transcribing those voice messages to text. You can also save those voice messages to be replayed later, if the need arises.

I just use GotFreeFax to send faxes when needed. 3 pages is free. Up to 10 pages is 98 cents. I currently can't receive faxes, but clients rarely want to fax me anything.

• Like 2

I went ahead and started the process to change landline number to cell phone number.  Actually ended up saving money doing so.

So many places including IRS POA let you upload rather than fax now.  Most investment companies also have portals now where they send a link if client has missing information.  If I need to fax, I'll try the free one Abby recommended.  Instead of receiving fax for client missing info, if they can't email it, they will just have to wait to get a copy in the mail!