ATX Community

Strange 1099-DIV

Corduroy Frog

Assume FROG Mutual Fund dividends are $100, with $90 being "Qualified"..

I am accustomed to seeing Dividends reported in the following manner:  Frog Dividends $100, Qualified Dividends $90.

But now I am seeing a 1099-DIV as follows:  Frog Dividends $10, Qualified Dividends $90.

Has something changed this year, or is the issuer of the 1099-DIV improperly reporting?

2 hours ago, BrewOne said:

started seeing them last year.  Not proper, according to instructions for Boxes 1a and 1b (specifically says to include amounts in box 1b in 1a total).  The brokers probably just want to keep us on our toes.

I thought so Brew.  The issuer is a major stockbrokerage company.

Wow, obviously Schwab's reporting system isn't categorizing the dividends properly.  They merged with, or bought out, Ameritrade during 2023, so I suspect that this error may be related to that and that a correct form will be issued. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Corduroy Frog said:

Tom, it might be the biggest one out there -- Schwab.

I just finished entering a Schwab consolidated form.   There are very few Qualified Dividends (800 non- qualified, 27 qualified).   Looking at the supplemental schedule the funds are mostly US based and it just looks a little funky.   

The return is going to be on hold for a little bit while the client gets some more documents.   

HMMMMM.....

Tom
Longview, TX

24 minutes ago, DANRVAN said:

There are some exceptions.

Do they meet the holding period requirement?

I am not saying it is wrong, I am just saying that I normally see about 50-75% qualified dividends in a normal portfolio of mostly domestic stock funds.   

Tom
Longview, TX

On 2/27/2024 at 4:10 PM, Abby Normal said:

But I've also never seen worth amending for.

I had one client who, for 6-7 years, got corrected forms in mid-May that were always major corrections. That client got put on extension & we filed after corrected forms arrived. 

• Like 2