ATX Community

ATX Website Passwords

joelgilb

I have several times in the past complained about the password structure at ATX's "Official" site. And once again I am having a problem it. Since their password system is so unwieldy, I had made the decision to change passwords on a monthly basis, using a date system (password+mo & year, ie: pwd1208), requiring staff to do the same. This would allow myself and staff the ability to remember the passwords, just by knowing what month it was. Until recently this worked fine. Now however I am unable to reset the password at all. ATX continues to come back with an error message indicating "current password is incorrect". Since there is no place to input the current password when changing a password, I am now unable to update my ATX password.

As we all are aware, their password system is cumbersome and unwieldy, I am suggesting that we all once again renew our objections to their current system.

Although I am not sure my suggestion for password changes to ATX are sufficient, I have sent ATX the following suggestion , which I am including for all here to see. I suggest we all once again remind ATX of the ridiculous measures they take to secure their website.

MY ATX SUGGESTION:

"Password rules for website are too restrictive. Causes users to have to write down the password in an insecure fashion in our offices, allowing others in the office access. Also causes users to have to lookup the address on paper each time making the website time consuming and difficult to get into, thus reducing the usability of the site.

A site I used to use regularly, I find I rarely go to now, finding it easier to make a phone call to tech support instead.

Suggest allowing at least the ability to rotate passwords every other time, so passwords can be committed to memory.

Further, changing passwords does not always work. Several times I had to get tech support to reset so I could change the password. In addition, it wastes staff time trying to get into the site costing money to my office in wasted administrative staff time.

I have also found staff also writing the passwords down in insecure places in an attempt to remember login information. This allows access by anyone that walks into my office, who can then get into the site. Although I currently have no knowledge of this happening I am concerned that clients would have access to secure information.

Please fix your system."

If anyone else has any thoughts or suggestions, post them here and let's all send them to ATX.

Joel

I ran into the same problem a couple of weeks ago when I tried to reset my password I found that I could reset it by going into the "Manage Users" screen rather than the "Modify Password" screen. Now I fully agree that if they are going to give you an option to "Modify Password" then it ought to work, and I agree that their password security is silly and cumbersome, so I'm on board with your general complaint. But I thought I'd pass this along to you just in case you want to try and get it reset without the aid of customer service.

I ran into the same problem a couple of weeks ago when I tried to reset my password I found that I could reset it by going into the "Manage Users" screen rather than the "Modify Password" screen. Now I fully agree that if they are going to give you an option to "Modify Password" then it ought to work, and I agree that their password security is silly and cumbersome, so I'm on board with your general complaint. But I thought I'd pass this along to you just in case you want to try and get it reset without the aid of customer service.

They not only give you the option; they INSIST that you change it on a regular basis. I am following KC's advice about the month, but that doesn't solve the problems we run into when trying to access their site. So far this year, my change went through just fine, but I am not holding my breath.

That's exactly where I was and it does not work for me.

Joel, I suggest you use a password you can remember, followed by 12 now, change the last two numbers only in Jan to 01. then 02 in Feb, etc.

KC

That's exactly what I do. But now it will not let me do this.

I have a password program that remembers all my "Hundreds" of logins and passwords and also lets me set Expiration Dates, to remind me to change them. ATX will no longer let me change the password in either of the 2 methods.

Have an email to tech support to get it fixed, but still I think they need to hear from us again. They are not listening!

Joel,

I am locked out, also. I called ATX yesterday and he told me what to do and that he had unlocked it, but it didn't work. I gave up because I don't have time to screw around with it right now. I'll call them later.

Bonnie

Not locked out here. The system just won't let me do my now "Regularly Scheduled Monthly Password Change". Guess I still have almost 2 months before it is an issue, but I don't want to mess with this during Tax Season!

Been on with ATX for near an hour trying to fix my password problem. Apparently they have "No Idea" why this is happening either.

INTERESTING NOTE Though

I was informed by support that the whole password complication is due to and IRS contract that CCH has. Apparently IRS has required CCH to step-up their password security. I let support know that this has been an issue with many of us and that it would have go a long way to reducing or deflecting our anger and concerns, if they would just disseminate information like this.

My guess is that they will still keep stuff like this to themselves anyway.

I just hope that they keep on ignoring us here. You never know when some corporate lawyer will decide that our name is an infringment, etc.

This forum is for discussing the ATX motherboard form factor. I don't know what you all keep going on about taxes for. :D

No need to be concerned.

They'll let you know what's up when they decide it's in THEIR best intests to pass along relevant information.

JohnH - I agree, and they will tell us on the Official ATX board!

K.C. I updated my password on 12-01 and tried to get to the official board & got the same response as you, so, I sent them an e-mail requesting assistance. Still waiting!!!!

z