ATX Community

ATX Website Passwords

joelgilb

I can understand the need for high-security passwords for access to confidential tax information. I have an idea for that which might help (although they no longer listen to my ideas like they used to).

But I've been locked out of the system several times in the last year when all I wanted to do was access a Knowledge Base item or some other non-secure bit of information. This always results in a call or email to tech support, followed by re-inputting the entire 20-digit install code. Again. This stuff should use a simple password, if any is needed at all. Save the high-security passwords for the high-security info.

For that, here's my idea: Access should be possible only through the ATX program, which can add another 50 digits to your normal, easy-to-remember password and verify that it's registered to you at the same time. If access is needed from a remote location (laptop), they might create an access program that you can get on your install disk, for just that purpose. Either way, a data thief would have to have access to your computer, in addition to knowing your own set of personal passwords. Each member of your staff could then have a relatively easy password for the info that they're supposed to have access to.

I got these instructions for developing a password long ago, and have only started using them recently, as companies are requiring me to change passwords more often: Start with a quote you like, or a bit of poetry. Use only the first letter of each word. Capitalize a few letters, and change a couple of them to numbers. The poetry or quote is then the memory-jogger for the password.

"Guess none of you are really true to the "Wonderful" OFFICIAL ATX BOARD, or you would have known about the ultra secret password needed to get in.

and I am keeping it a secret!"

Does your ultra secret password speed up access? Mine works, but it is slower than........

I'm not sure what I'm doing right or wrong, but here's the link I'm using to get started:

https://support.atxinc.com/User/Login.aspx?...%2fDefault.aspx

I just now logged in again just to be sure I could get in from another computer.

For what it's worth, I use several different computers and I don't let any of them remember any of my login info - I just enter it each time I log in.

(I think I remember someone advising me to do it that way because of cache & cookies stuff that I don't understand)

Good Morning Gene,

As we have been updating all of our software and our websites, this may have been a temporary error. In case it wasn't, I have sent an e-mail to the powers that be in order to inquire further. If you are still experiencing this difficulty, feel free to send another e-mail, or call our customer support line.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact our customer service department at 1-800-638-8291.

Your incident number is 5479683

Tip Of The Day: We have a new login procedure for the MYATX website. If at any time you need to reset your password, click on the need help link from the login screen, click forgot password and then click reset.

ATX Knowledge Base.

Thank you for using ATX,

Rec'd this e-mail this a.m. I consistently cannot log into ATX community. Sure glad it took only 11 days to "e-mail the powers that be..." :P:P

zeke

"Guess none of you are really true to the "Wonderful" OFFICIAL ATX BOARD, or you would have known about the ultra secret password needed to get in.

and I am keeping it a secret!"

Does your ultra secret password speed up access? Mine works, but it is slower than........

Faster than a speeding bullet, and I become more powerful than a locomotive and am able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, when using the ultra secret password!

I can login to MyATX (after multiple password changes/updates); but, I can't get to the 'official ATX Community'. It just takes me back to MyATX home page.

Diane

I had that problem for weeks. After many hours on the phone with tech support (no, that was customer service, actually), I tried to login under my original user name rather than Admin. I had been using admin after getting so frustrated trying to change the password. It turns out that Admin has access to all the tabs except the community. There must be some good reason... Anyway, if you've been logging in using admin, try another user. Hope it works for you, too!

New Problem. Now the link to let us change our password is GONE!

I emailed wrote ATX support the following:

"Previously your website would not let me update / change my login password when I go to "Manage My Account / Contact Info/ Modify Password". Now the option to modify password has been completely removed.

I am wondering how am I supposed to change my password, as required by your server, so I am able to continue to login into the website?

Please help"

Maybe they need an info page to let us know what they are doing and why.

Curses! Just when I thought I had the solution... Since you are also Admin, is it possible to create another user and try through that one? If it works, you could delete the user you are now using (hmm, that sounds funny).

Originally I couldn't get anywhere with my username so I went to admin just to get to Myatx. But, as noted, I couldn't get to the community via admin. Good luck and let us know.

Curses! Just when I thought I had the solution... Since you are also Admin, is it possible to create another user and try through that one? If it works, you could delete the user you are now using (hmm, that sounds funny).

Originally I couldn't get anywhere with my username so I went to admin just to get to Myatx. But, as noted, I couldn't get to the community via admin. Good luck and let us know.

Curses.....I am also admin and have no problem getting into the community. One thing that I never do is LOG OFF when I leave the ATX website. Then, I only have to log in when they force me to. This has just been going too well....something is bound to happen. There is very little going on on THAT board. :huh:

BTW, does anyone know whatever happened to Jerry Mealer?

I don't log off either but, from time to time, I have to delete cookies and clear the browser. When? Well, when I call ATX for support and that is the first thing they tell me to do! So, I have to type in all those things again when visiting my favorites.

I also noticed the board is not very active, but there are quite a few folks that I don't recognize after these 10 years with ATX. The more users, the better, I think, and it would be good to nurture those users to a point of satisfaction with the program. It seems that might help convince CCH that there is a critical mass of happy (more or less) ATX camper users out here and to keep the program.

It seems that the password system works fine for me.

The new login procedure requires three items:

1. Your client ID (that is the ID they ask for when you call them by phone)

2. Your user name (I have not changed since the beginning)

3. Your password

I have only had to change my password when they asked me to. I believe I have changed my password 5 times since CCH sent out their sheet titiled "Important Information on Changes to MyATX.com"

• 2 weeks later...

The IRS is not even as restrictive to log on to e-services. This is getting ridiculous. What your mother's maiden name? Whats your grandfathers occupation? What is your great great grandmother's middle name backwards in hebrew?

Come on!

BTW - Where did you get the statistical data that 70%+ of their business is from the IRS?