ATX Community

What do other tax preparer's do?

ILLMAS

What do other tax preparers do that bothers you?

I have a couple, but this one is the worst:

They give their clients a print out of their tax return that looks like a book, all these schedules, forms, etc... for a simple 1040. Talk about not being eco-friendly, but it's nothing more than a scam, making people think their tax return was complicated or what ever to charge a higher fee.

I have to disagree with you on that one. While I do agree that some people do include some unnecessary pages, ALL the Forms and Schedules in a return should always be included, and some of the supporting pages, such as depreciation detail report, should also, IMHO. Now, if they are including the W-2 Summary, when copies of the actual W-2s are there, I agree that is not needed. But usually, for a "simple 1040", there are not that many pages that would be available. But if they have a RAL, something I don't offer, then all the pages related to that have to be included.

What do other tax preparers do that bothers you?

I have a couple, but this one is the worst:

They give their clients a print out of their tax return that looks like a book, all these schedules, forms, etc... for a simple 1040. Talk about not being eco-friendly, but it's nothing more than a scam, making people think their tax return was complicated or what ever to charge a higher fee.

I agree. I've seen some crap that was really unnecessary.

One preparer always attaches Sch R, 6251, 8582 even if they're completely unnecessary, and so far that's every one of his I've seen.

(I agree with KC about necessary stuff. For example, I always attach the "Tax Classification Report" for the 4562. I think that's it. The one that shows everything, even property that has been disposed of.)

I give them only what they need. I don't give depreciation sheets. Most of my clients never look at it and call me when they need a form. Some of my clients if they don't e-file I have to fold the forms and put them in the proper envelopes after they sign it. Give them everything ATX would print for client copy and my clients would not know what to do with it.

I give them only what they need. I don't give depreciation sheets. Most of my clients never look at it and call me when they need a form. Some of my clients if they don't e-file I have to fold the forms and put them in the proper envelopes after they sign it. Give them everything ATX would print for client copy and my clients would not know what to do with it.

I always give depreciatio sheets, not so much for the benefit of my client, but for anyone who may come after me. I love getting new clients and if their prior tax preparer has included the depreciation sheets it's a breeze to pickup and follow, however if I have to retrace things it takes time and time is money. So I try to make it as easy for whoever follows me!

Deb!

I agree with KC and Deb....You don't have to try to impress anyone by including every form. However, if you have ever had to try to build a depreciation schedule for a client who has come from another preparer; it can be a nightmare. I give them as much as I think they might need just as I would like that to come to me. I also bind them into a booklet with the letter, the invoice and all necessary supporting schedules. Over the years, countless clients have commented on what a professional return they receive. Of course, very simple returns only get the basic cover sheet with the letter and the invoice. I do put an e=file sticker on each return that it apples to. IMO

I love getting new clients and if their prior tax preparer has included the depreciation sheets it's a breeze to pickup and follow, however if I have to retrace things it takes time and time is money.

Deb!

I usually get permission to contact the previous preparer and ask them for a detailed depreciation schedule so I don't have to retrace.

I usually get permission to contact the previous preparer and ask them for a detailed depreciation schedule so I don't have to retrace.

Often they are out of business, or not cooperative. I believe the depreciation schedule belongs to the client just as well as his w2 and other information.

Often they are out of business, or not cooperative. I believe the depreciation schedule belongs to the client just as well as his w2 and other information.

I agree. I had a preparer request dep schs for a previous client. I told him the client could picke them up at my place. Case resolved.

That is fine, if the preparer is still in business, willing to cooperate, etc. But if he moved away, died, or had a stroke, etc, they may not be able to get them. My brother-n-law, who also did taxes in another town, died suddenly, no warning at all, and his office was shut down and packed up and files moved to his daughter's home, where she has no idea of his password on his computer, nor how to pull up anything, nor wants to dig through the many boxes of paper files. She's telling those who call [and manage to find her] that they can come pick them up. Not a good outcome for anyone.

I do give the Detail report to all clients, if they leave me I don't want to have to stop in the middle of the season to look up old records for a client who has moved on. Why not give them enough that they don't have to bother you, if they don't want to come back?

I agree with KC. I also aways give the depreciation shedules and form 6251 for all applicable clients. However, most of my clients are business returns and complicated individual returns. I do very few simple 1040s. However, I do not print out all the unnecessary input schedules that ATX creates. I print just the forms plus the depreciation schedules.

With our business and farm clients, we don't have a lot of choice about giving them the depreciation detail here in Franklin County VA because the local commissioner of the revenue requires that the depreciation schedule and Sch C. F. or page 1 and 2 of 1120 or 1065 be attached to the personal property tax forms before they are filed. Therefore, if we forget to give them out we know they will be calling and asking for them. Easier to give them a copy on the first pass.