ATX Community

PROCRASTINATORS!

lydia33

This morning as I arrived at work at 7:10 I noticed a car parked in front of my office. It was raining so I pulled it front to unload the weekend work, then to unload and move my car across the streets so my clients could park in front of my office. Low and behold as I put my hand on the door to unlock it a client of 35 years appeared from the car parked next to mine. With paper work in hand and a sheepish grin he said it's just late old me. HA HA HA. I'm not laughing. Says he want to file an extension. He had left a message several weeks ago that he needed to come and see me, so I figured he would show. I had to deliver some payroll checks next door first so I had him to wait. I explained to him that I could not finish the return before 4-15 and that he had been last minute for 34 of the past 35 years. (One yearly first year children went to college thought he needed return early for FASA) I told him he would have to go the big green block if he wanted in done before then. Of course he did not want the "BGB" to do his return and gave the same old excuses he ad for 34 years. I was in a bad mood, remind you, I had not had my coffee. I was a little rude and I alway feel bad about that especially when he said he had a present for me after doing this every year. I told him the only present I wanted from him was to be timely. From behind his back he handed me a package wrapped in brown paper. Immediately I knew what it was. He has contacts with John Grisham. What is the first thing I do after tax season? Go to the beach with a John Grisham book. (which my husband gave me for Valentines Day). SIGNED JOHN GRISHAM "The Associate" I will not be taking that copy with me to the beach. It's on a shelf. The one my husband gave me can get suntan oil and mixed drinks on! Made me cry.

I love procrastinators, as long as they're cooperative.

They help support an income stream after Apr 15 - revenue I wouldn't have if not for them.

Not a bad deal, especially right now with so many people being out of work.

I've thanked every one of them whom I've heard from in the past week or so.

Don't you just hate it when clients are waiting at the door? I come in the back for that reason mainly. I hate to not have a minute to put down my things, get something to drink, etc.

Don't feel bad about being a bit put out by him, or for being short with him. That present was a 'guilt easer' for him. He KNEW he was in the wrong, that's why he brought it. OK, it was nice, but still, this is the 13th, after all.

Y'know, I don't really mind the same old procrastinators every year. I can depend on them being late, I know they'll extend, etc. And they know they procrastinate and don't try to blame me or pressure me for their lateness. Stretches out the season, and they're grateful that I don't fuss at them.

The ones that drive me nuts and the ones that rush in just inside my "won't guarantee to finish if I don't have docs" deadline, then it turns out information is missing, and they stall on that while still pressuring me to finish. One lady called me on Easter Sunday (she was supposed to get the last docs to me by 4/2 drop-dead latest), and proceeded to harangue me for about a half hour over why she had to pay so much with an extension. Well, when your income just about doubles but you don't increase withholdings, surprise!! I was _very _ close to telling her to come get her stuff and get out of my way. She backed down about 20 seconds before the ultimatum.... she'll either be a really good client from now on, or the next time she fusses I fire her.

Catherine

Yes, they know who they are! And we are, after all, only human. We can only do so much. And for these last three days, just answering all the phone calls from the procrastinators will take most of our time. Thank goodness half of them I have already extended. Because even doing that takes time.

Don't you just hate it when clients are waiting at the door? I come in the back for that reason mainly. I hate to not have a minute to put down my things, get something to drink, etc.

Don't feel bad about being a bit put out by him, or for being short with him. That present was a 'guilt easer' for him. He KNEW he was in the wrong, that's why he brought it. OK, it was nice, but still, this is the 13th, after all.

I wasn't late (well, a little) and I gave my Tax Preparer a present this year :)

Of course, her rates cannot be beat ;) and she is one of the smartest people I know.

Kerry

Just had a call from a former client, at least I thought she was, because she never came in last year. She asked for an extension, and then told me she would be bringing in both years, she has not filed her 07 yet.

Had one come in yesterday, all smiles, with copy of his DIY 2007, WHICH HE NEVER FILED, and a 40 lb stack of folders with crap for 2008. "It's OK if you file an extension."

Me: "Wait. You don't understand. I was not ASKING you if it was OK. I was TELLING you that you ARE getting an extension if I am going to prepare any returns for you. Feel free to ask someone else..." And, I just went back to what I was doing. He left his stuff. (Yay.)

People "showing up" right now (especially 7:10 am or calling on Easter Sunday), I have no patience for. I'm all for extensions, and happy to work after tax season; this is my full-time job. But, these slackers bringing crap in right now...

Now you'd think the guy could have gotten out of the car and helped you bring some of the stuff into the office. If you're going to sit there in the car that early in the morning and wait for me, make yourself useful!

I lost a client last year because I was "late" getting in on a Sunday morning and he was here waiting for me while I was having breakfast with my family. How dare I!

Take all the gifts you can get. I get about 2 a year. I have a teacher friend who complains about all the stuff she gets. Annoys the heck out of me. It's a rare client that appreciates what you do, the hours you didn't bill, or the time you gave up for him this time of year.

At least when the late comers make their way in, I tend to charge them to the max. The early birds sometimes get adjustments. But the late people pay the full cost.

One more to pickup. Several have filed extension. Now to the bookwork I need to finish before the 15th. This is priceless though.....2 years ago a PITA showed up on the 15th and wanted me to do their tax return. I had been doing the return for several year. Not a fast turnover one, either. Told them I could file an extension for them was all I could offer at the time. They went somewhere else for the 07 and 08. I have already put my message on my phone that I am closed and will reopen on the 27th of April. Guess who just called? PITA himself, did not leave a message. LOVE CALLER ID!

<snip> LOVE CALLER ID!

THAT's something I need to investigate ASAP. My Caller ID has been sporadic for this whole tax season. Sometimes it works just fine -- other times not at all. The times it doesn't work is of course the time someone calls and does NOT leave me a phone number, and then I have to dig it out of my files.

Thanks for the reminder!

I lost a client last year because I was "late" getting in on a Sunday morning and he was here waiting for me while I was having breakfast with my family. How dare I!

I lost a client (family member) once because I refused to talk about her taxes at the family christmas paty. It is too bad when we want to just relax and enjoy.

I have a long time client who always ends up being one of the last to call. She phoned yesterday and left a message wondering if "I could help prepare her taxes this year." I phoned her back and let her know that she would have to get me the information, which she did. I prepared the return last night and noted she withdrew $43,000 from an IRA (She is only 50 years old). That resulted in her owing just under $7,000 to the Feds and $1,200 to New Jersey.

I phoned her this morning and let her know the outcome. She tells me she had "a lot of termite damage to her home and needed to take the money out to fix that. Her one friend from Merrill Lynch told her that it would all be deductible on her taxes." My response, "Next time you have termite damage and want to repair it by taking a withdraw from your IRA, try calling your tax preparer first to find out if it's "deductible," because it's not." She responded, "why would my friend tell me that then?" I told her to ask her friend that question.

She phoned this evening and said, please file an extension for me. I informed her, it's an extension of time to file...not to pay. "Oh, I didn't realize that" she says. "Let me call you back. I have to try and find the money."

I don't expect to hear from her.