ATX Community

new atx login

zeke

so now myatx.com is going to require new pasword procedure after 10/23/07. i printed out the three pages of instructions as directed. i read them. most are standard, but i really resent that i will have to change my password twice during tax season. i would respectfully suggest that few of us can remember a new password that changes every 45 days. grrr. if i write it down, i lose the purpose of security. is cch goofy or is it time for this old dog to retire??? :angry:

Other than our personal profile info, I can't think of anything on the ATX website that is a security issue. In fact, because of this board and a few others like it, I don't find the ATX board any use at all....maybe somebody needs to tell me where to review on the ATX board so I can more fully understand the security issue. ( I almost said "tell me where to go," but thankfully I did not do that.

Other than our personal profile info, I can't think of anything on the ATX website that is a security issue. In fact, because of this board and a few others like it, I don't find the ATX board any use at all....maybe somebody needs to tell me where to review on the ATX board so I can more fully understand the security issue. ( I almost said "tell me where to go," but thankfully I did not do that.

I assume that means we will need to login to update our programs (I do this daily), which is how they are going to shove another inconvenience down our throats.

I have so damn many passwords that I have them all written down, and what I am going to change them to, on a paper posted next to my monitor. I hope someone steals them and hacks every one of the websites for every bank, credit card, software provider, internet provider, school, utility company, phone company, and computer supplier that I deal with. I even have to login to listen to music on Yahoo! That will teach the buttheads.

Big business sucks.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I assume that means we will need to login to update our programs (I do this daily), which is how they are going to shove another inconvenience down our throats.

I have so damn many passwords that I have them all written down, and what I am going to change them to, on a paper posted next to my monitor. I hope someone steals them and hacks every one of the websites for every bank, credit card, software provider, internet provider, school, utility company, phone company, and computer supplier that I deal with. I even have to login to listen to music on Yahoo! That will teach the buttheads.

Big business sucks.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Tom,

Hopefully, we will still be able to update forms and program right through the MAX interface as you can now, but I wouldn't be too much surprised to see that was changed also. I've still not renewed yet kind of waiting to see what other surprises come our way.

Wayne

Not defending the change, frankly haven't even logged in in a month 'cept for sending returns. BUT, strong passwords are a good thing. Remembering them is the bad thing.

FWIW, I found this nice password manager. It's free, open source, and let's you keep the whole mess of them on a USB stick with a single master password to open the file.

Google for "KeePass"

Big business sucks.

Tom

Lodi, CA

If they really want to make it hard they will make you log in every time you prepare a tax return.

This must be their idea of making it more 'user friendly.'

I have lots of passwords to remember. Its no problem as I have designed a method for passwords. A set number of letters/numbers are standard in every password with a set number of letters/numbers from the website where the password is used. That makes it easy to remember (without a list) each password when I need it for a specific website. You should develop your own method and passwords are never a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Been dealing with ATX's new login procedures myself. Have given several technical support personnel a BIG piece of my mind at how ridiculous their new login procedures are.

Most recently I tried to login as an ADMIN, based on the instructions they mailed with my Year End 2006 Archive disk. Per their instructions I was to (additional quotes ' ' added for emphasis):

"... 'simply' enter your Client ID then use the name "ADMIN' and any one of your current product installation codes as the password ..."

Note the caps on ADMIN!

I did exactly as it said and used 2 different install codes, one of which I also tried without the dashes. All failed and then locked up my account. An email to support from their website and I get back:

"We will need a letter on Company Letterhead with your request to reset the ADMIN password with your signature faxed to 1-800-834-4859. Once this is received your password will be reset and you will be notified when it has been reset."

My response was an angry phone call with a refusal to waste my time sending them a signed letter every time I have trouble with there site, due to their Ridiculous and Excessive login and password procedures. they did help me get in, and to my surprise the only thing I did wrong was to type ADMIN in caps like on their letter, rather than lower case as required by their site! No where on the letter did it say to use lower case.

Then I sent the following suggestion:

"Your requirement for me to fax changes in with my signature to make changes to my account are EXCESSIVE and a WASTE of my time. I bill out at

$300.00 per hour and am a small firm and do not have the time to waste for ridiculous administrative requests!

It should be noted that IRS, Social Security, my banks and credit cards, where security is much more of a concern, have not made me jump through such

incredible hops to get access to my accounts online.

It is extremely frustrating that someone in your administration feels that it is necessary to waste my time and tie my hands to get access to your site. "

Thought it might help if more would complain to them.

I have lots of passwords to remember. Its no problem as I have designed a method for passwords. A set number of letters/numbers are standard in every password with a set number of letters/numbers from the website where the password is used. That makes it easy to remember (without a list) each password when I need it for a specific website. You should develop your own method and passwords are never a problem.

Great idea. If you have to change passwords every hour or two, no problem. I can't understand why someone wouldn't enjoy the challenge of frequently making such changes since it is so easy. I can't understand why all banks, credit card companies and tax software companies don't compete to see how often they can require such changes.

To make it more interesting, they should also have constantly changing 'challenge questions' such as "Who sat next to you in the first grade?" " What were you doing at 11:00 A.M. on October 15, 1996? "

Another suggestion: Require a series of six passwords before allowing access.

Joan, you are going to have to call them. Apparently the system isn't recognizing any of our e-mail addresses even though they continue to send us e-mail. I bit the bullet and called and was led through it very quickly and easily. Just remember to write down the info they give you. Sometimes we just have to concede to "big brother" so that we can end the frustration and go about our business...

I have some problems with that three-hour time difference, too. The last time I needed to call them, I got up extra early and called them before work.

May not matter anymore, though. I seem to have lost my "day job." And I'd already decided not to work there during tax season.

Problem is, I'm not at home when they are open, usually. Or when I think about doing it. Jeez, where did I put that letter with the customer service number on it???