ATX Community

Considering ATX

jedjr

I am currently using ProSeries Basic. Have been for 4 years. Prior to that it was the professional version. I have no problem with the basic funtionality of program, however, my practice has outgrown the basic program. Need integrated client letter and billing, organizers, etc. I currently pay about 1,000 with my PPR fees for efiles, various states (I get 4 now) and corporations. If I go to the professional version. my costs will go up about 75%. That is why I am considering ATX. In reading in this forum, I cannot get a feel for how you guys like the program. I did read that since CCH has taken over, the big corporate affect is taking over, similar to Intuit and the Lacerte purchase. My biggest concern would be the elimination of ATX and TaxWise for a "new and improved" program, obviously at a much higher price point I'm sure.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I would take a look at Drake. ATX was ruined by CCH. IMHO

I have tried to get comfortable with Drake, however, flipping between input screens and tax forms has driven me crazy. I know it is a learning curve issue, but it is so frustrating knowing where a number goes on a form, but can't find the input screen.

A lot of people really like Drake, and for customer service I don't think that they can be beat. However, I never could get used to filling out a bunch of worksheets and then pulling up a separate window to see how everything had gone to the form. I like to prepare tax returns directly onto the form so I can see how everything is flowing as I do the return. This is probably because when I first learned to do returns, I learned with pencil and paper.

That being said, I really like the ATX software. I like the way I begin with the 1040, and bunny hop to the supporting forms and schedules. I like the number of forms provided with ATX. We have always used software that had 1040, 1065, 1120, 990, etc. but ATX was the first software we found that had payroll forms such as 941 and W-2's included. I really like being able to enter the data onto those forms and print them out instead of trying to either type them or use a separate program just for payroll forms.

I also really like the enhancement this past year that let me do a partnership or 1102S return and have the K-1 information flow directly to the individual tax return.

The software is not perfect (whose is?) but for the most part I find it to be very intuitive for me, and so far it has the features that I need the most. Until they get rid of the software, change it dramatically, or jack the price up to intolerable levels, I will probably put up with CCH's ownership of ATX.

There is very little that I don't like about ATX and a whole lot that I do like. For the price, Max does everything that I need it to do and then some. I have no problem with it being owned by CCH; as long as they keep it available. If ATX is out there, I will never change, and if it disappears, I may have to retire and disappear too.

depends too on where you are located, i like atx input alot and the federal is a pretty good program but you need to know taxes, it will not automatically add forms ie 8801 unless you know to add it. foreign taxes are not intuitive at all and doesn't flow right from k-1 inputs. also it adds forms not needed ie 1040-v because it adds it right away although the rest of your input may make the return a refund.

for NY a lot of items do not flow automatically and you have to really review the states. for example if you have a long term heath care policy it does not flow the the coorrect forms for the NYS credit. also NYS and NYC printing sucks for entities. atx thinks they are one big returns and comingle the forms and buts schedules specific to each entity on the same page.

-that said, for the money the program is pretty good and by the time you do your 10th return you know just what is missing and just how to print. Don;'t expect a secretary to be able to go into the return and print out the copies though, you have to know the return and select the forms each time you print a return. if you use the default printing you get 100 pages us unneccessary paper every time.

Some of us who have been with ATX since back 8 or more years have both pros and cons with the CCH folks, but we almost all LOVE the program. It's just gotten better each year, without any significant price hikes until recently. And when CCH did raise the price, they also added some significant improvements as well. And so far they have shown no inclination to kill it, they are still adding features.

I expect if you compare what you have now to the Total Tax Office package, you will be surprised at how much more you get for somewhat less money. Look especially at things such as you get ALL states, you get more forms, and no extra fees for things like Payroll forms, Sales tax forms, OIC forms, 706 forms, 5500 forms, gift tax forms, non-profits forms, etc. Even many of the City tax forms are included.

If you would let us know your state, that might help us give you any special 'heads up' about any state issues that are known. Most states there are none, but where they do exist, odds are good we know about it here. Also, if you get the demo and try it out on some of your typical and some of your complex returns, we'd be happy to help you learn the shortcuts and special features. There are so many that it's easy to overlook some of them.

It's hard to compare these 2 programs as they have substatial differences in both strengths and weaknesses.

for instance: Proseries is a faster program in my opinion, while ATX has a depth of forms far beyond anything on the market.

Get a demo disk from ATX and try it out for yourself. I have used both and I love ATX, but still have issues with its speed. I also love that not only can I override any calculations, I can actually customize the forms, add my own formulas (ATX is excel based) , or add my own excel spreadsheets and the flow from one form to another, a flexibility not available in any other tax software.

How important is the client letter to you? That is definitely a weakness of ATX. But, you really need to run both along side each other to see what's important to the way you work. I agree that you need to prepare a couple of your typical and a couple of your most complex returns in ATX's 2008 program/demo including the states. Then tell us what's bugging you to see if we can help you with the flow.

depends too on where you are located, i like atx input alot and the federal is a pretty good program but you need to know taxes,

If we are using ANY professional program, aren't we supposed to KNOW taxes? In fact, if we are using any kind of program or doing returns by hand and charging to prepare them, we are supposed to KNOW taxes...........

YES we are supposed to know taxes but not every preparer knows every state return, forms and rules. atx is not multistate friendly and my secretary may not know if idaho gets a copy of sch b but the software should-prosystem does!

my point was its good value for the money but not as proficient as some other softwares and i find i have to spend too much time collating and printing forms, my secretary doesn't know enough to know what to print.

I think that we are mostly agreed that no single program is "the best" for every type of office. Some offices do many RALs, at high speed early in the season, and it pays them to get a program that is as fast as possible and as "automated" as possible, even if it costs significantly more. Especially if they use lower-skilled 'data input' personnel to help handle the rush.

Others handle more complex returns, with one or two experienced professionals doing most or all the work, few or no RALs, and need the wide variety of forms ATX offers more than they need either speed or automation. And for them, the flexibility of ATX, and the price, make it a great fit.

Some offices handle thousands of returns, with an absolute need for data input personnel, extensive error checking, etc. And some need a program that easily and almost automatically handles large, multi-state returns, and the complexity means that they can buy those top-of-the-line, super expensive programs and easily recoup the cost based on the fees for those returns.

Everybody has to decide which factors best fit his or her own level of skill, time constraints, preferred manner of preparation, etc. There will never be a program that is right for everyone. But ATX is a fine program for many, especially many sole proprietors or small firms where we handle a lot of varied types of returns and have a mature practice where we have clients in many states. It's not the cheapest on the market, but it is the cheapest for what it offers, I believe, although Drake is close. It is also one of the easiest programs to learn to use, IF you started out doing taxes on paper, by hand, with just your ten-key and a handful of Pubs. Because you can enter directly on the forms, it's easy for that sort of preparer to learn to use.

Everybody has to decide which factors best fit his or her own level of skill, time constraints, preferred manner of preparation, etc. There will never be a program that is right for everyone. But ATX is a fine program for many, especially many sole proprietors or small firms where we handle a lot of varied types of returns and have a mature practice where we have clients in many states. It's not the cheapest on the market, but it is the cheapest for what it offers, I believe, although Drake is close. It is also one of the easiest programs to learn to use, IF you started out doing taxes on paper, by hand, with just your ten-key and a handful of Pubs. Because you can enter directly on the forms, it's easy for that sort of preparer to learn to use.

This pretty much describes me. I work alone and, of course, concede that if you are doing thousands of returns, you might need a program that does more of the work for you. But, if you are doing thousands of returns, you probably can afford something else. I, on the other hand, only do hundreds. I find Quickfinders "All States" book to be a great help and only renew it every 3 years. It gives me a strong basis for all states and further checking can be done on the individula state web sites.

Remember, every time this board or the original board has asked for ATX to do more, the price has gone up. As far as I am concerned, they have fine-tuned the software extremely well. They were the first (and as far as I know, only) software to offer the Organizer in the prior year software. That has always been a feature that has been appreciated. They were also among the first to integrate free e-filing into the program. I can well remember having to e-file through a third party and pay to do it and it was a nightmare. Yes, everyone has their own set of circumstances, but I still maintain that our first responsibility is to the client and we should KNOW what we are doing. My second responsibility is to myself and making a living by using the skills and knowledge that I have. Software, to me, is a much appreciated aid; but never a crutch.

I think much appreciated aid is an understatement. I think my software is my most important tool. Now, I agree with you that the characteristics that come from within, my intelligence, my training, my ability to relate to clients, my honesty, etc., are prime. But of all the things outside of me, my software is my most valued. It can even be a crutch at times, when I'm sleep-deprived or searching for why something changed.

I have tried to get comfortable with Drake, however, flipping between input screens and tax forms has driven me crazy. I know it is a learning curve issue, but it is so frustrating knowing where a number goes on a form, but can't find the input screen.

In Drake, if you type Ctrl+G a form 1040 will show up and you can click on the 1040 line and it will take you to the Drake screen. There are also some "macros" you can use to quickly move you to the exact line on certain screens. I have a macro that generates a PIN for myself and the client, another one to check the boxes on Sch B that there is no foreign interest, and another one to take me to the screen where I enter the client's payment to me so that my client status manger shows my accounts receivable.

A similar function does not yet exist for forms 1120, 1065, etc., but there is less need.

In time you get used to some of the screens, but the Ctrl+G is great for those you forget.

depends too on where you are located, i like atx input alot and the federal is a pretty good program but you need to know taxes,

If we are using ANY professional program, aren't we supposed to KNOW taxes? In fact, if we are using any kind of program or doing returns by hand and charging to prepare them, we are supposed to KNOW taxes...........

The "perfect" program would preclude the need for the prepare to know taxes. All that would be necessary would be for you to scan all the forms, notes, etc., ask any questions that might need answereing, and the program would spit out a complete, accurate return.

For a few dollars more, it would also tap dance.

THERE actually is a such a program called "1040 scan flow" you scan and send them the 1099's, w-2's and organizers and they input to the return.. the best option is that they send you back an indexed pdf file of all the data so you don;t need paper copies of data back-up, we use that part of the program. the input to returns leaves alot to be desired if you have extensiive k-1's, works ok for basic returns. the theory is you can spend more time reviewing than entering. it even reads handwriting in the organizers.

The "perfect" program would preclude the need for the prepare to know taxes. All that would be necessary would be for you to scan all the forms, notes, etc., ask any questions that might need answereing, and the program would spit out a complete, accurate return.

According to a few of my "ex" clients, that's what Turbo Tax gives them now or, when they come back to me, THEN. "All I have to do now is answer a few questions and it gives me all my money back.....well, most of it, AND it doesn't ask me for receipts!" Why did you come back? "IRS threw out some of my deductions." Like your cell phone to kept telling me you could deduct! Or that spot on the ceiling you look at each year when I ask for numbers. 50 % of them "tap dance" right back to me.

I feel my knowledge and good software balance my business. We expect the software to do the mundane stuff correctly and some of the more complicated calculations, but I should know, roughly, the end result of any figures it comes up with. If I start questioning the outcome of a tax return, or, when to add or discard forms the software neglects to acknowledge as necessary or not, I am relying entirely too much on the software.

The "perfect" program would preclude the need for the prepare to know taxes. All that would be necessary would be for you to scan all the forms, notes, etc., ask any questions that might need answering, and the program would spit out a complete, accurate return.

Ah, but that's the rub. You have to know taxes before you know what questions to ask, and to know what the different answers mean to the outcome.

Ah, but that's the rub. You have to know taxes before you know what questions to ask, and to know what the different answers mean to the outcome.

KC,

That's what a lot of tax preparers do. They ask no questions and just take what the taxpayer has given them and put that information into some tax software. They then tell the taxpayer the results and collect their preparation fee. In my opinion, no one deserves to be treated that way.

Wayne Brasch

I think much appreciated aid is an understatement. I think my software is my most important tool. Now, I agree with you that the characteristics that come from within, my intelligence, my training, my ability to relate to clients, my honesty, etc., are prime. But of all the things outside of me, my software is my most valued. It can even be a crutch at times, when I'm sleep-deprived or searching for why something changed.

I agree that "much appreciated" is an understatement. The software IS my most important tool. However, you did get the rest of my point. Wayne posts further down about the preparers who just ask questions and plug in the answers. That is something that we have all seen and many of those returns are ones that we have amended. He is right that nobody deserves to be treated that way. Therein lies some of the reason why the IRS is talking about licensing, etc; which is tarring all of us with the same brush. However, if it comes down to passing a test, that might be for the better good of many.

Nonetheless, my bottom line is that I find ATX to be an excellent choice of software. However, I don't have a pile of research material on my floor and seminars under my belt for nothing. We have to do the best job possible for our clients. None of us can know all of the answers, but we have to know where to find the answers and this board is an exceptional source of knowledge also. :rolleyes: