ATX Community

The Tax Book

Joel

I've been seeing good discounts on both books (and Kleinrock, too) on their own sites, from organizations such as NAEA and NATP, and from commercial resellers such as Tenenz and maybe even M&C. If you're considering buying one or more as a quick reference, look around to find the best price.

I ordered this year at a very big discount from NY/CT-ATP. The downside is that I won't get it until I attend their January meeting! (Non-attendees will get theirs in the mail after the meeting.)

They all provide short answers for common questions and a good starting point for further research on the more complex issues. You just have to find the book (or even the format) that fits your style of research. You can get books with 1040 only, 1040 and small business together, a binder so you can replace pages when updated, a searchable CD, and lots of other topics in separate books.

I used the professional version of Lassers for years and used it a lot. However, one has to cut somewhere so that was the one to go. I also purchase and need the Wisconsin Tax Guide and I had to weed out which reference material I was using the least. That is not to say that I did not like it very much. Simple economics.

I ordered the Tax Book disk this year instead of the book. If I want to look up something in the book, I can use last year's book unless it is something that has changed, in which case I can use the disk. I will probably use both if I have to research something.

The big advantage of the disk is that you can click a link to the IRS web site which is a lot better than attempting to start from scratch in the IRS web site.

Nothing is more complete than the IRS instructions, but often nothing is more difficult to understand than the way they explain how 2+2 = it's taxable.

Are we still going to get the 1040 tax book from Kleinrock that is very similar to Quickfinder and TaxBook ??

Depending upon which package you ordered and if you are referring to the 1040 Express Answers; it ships the last week in December. The US Master Tax Guide arrived this week and is a very welcome addition; as the 1040 Express Answers often refers to: "For additional Information, consult the MTG." Mine is the Max package.

• 1 year later...

>>What more needs to be said? <<

1) What needs to be said is that bees knees is a vendor!

2) Quickfinder revised all of bees knees work after he left and turned QF into the best tax books.

3) Why don't you rant on the board you administer instead of this 3 year old posts on this board.

4) Were I the administrator of this board I would ban bees knees.

5) This board has never banned anyone but TTB has.. so much for member appreciation and loyalty on TTB.

6) In spite of what bees knees thinks, TTB is still not near as good as Quickfinder or he would not be trying to convince everyone so he will not go broke. :)

bees knees should be banned from this board as he posts here only to sell his tax book.

In his 2 posts he has made no contribution of useful information and it is unlikely he ever will!

Chill, please.

Lots of folks post lots of stuff that isn't useful. Jokes. Responses to jokes. Boasting about our kids. Griping about other members. If we banned people for "no contribution of useful information" there'd be no one left.

If you can't stand someone else's presence here, either IGNORE them, or go sulk in a corner on your own. I didn't put up with this kind of nonsense from my girls when they were little, and it's even less appealing from a supposedly mature adult.

Don't we all have enough REAL issues to deal with this time of year (any time of year)?

So, OldJack and Bees Knees and anyone else with a chip on their shoulder -- get a grip. Please.

Chill, please.

If you can't stand someone else's presence here, either IGNORE them, or go sulk in a corner on your own. I didn't put up with this kind of nonsense from my girls when they were little, and it's even less appealing from a supposedly mature adult.

Catherine, I find your comment a little insulting as I have been a good and long contributor on this board and do not have a chip on my shoulder. This board has previously deleted or banned vendors only here for selling their product and bees knees is no different.

>>Amy McAnarney, Executive Director and VP of The Tax Institute at H&R Block. "TheTaxBook contains superior content, is easy to navigate, and is published by a company with experience we can trust." What more needs to be said? <<

As BeeKnees quotes, The Tax Book can apparently serve the limited needs of the inexperienced workers in national franchise offices, a very different group than the independent practitioners here in the ATX Community. Block employees have far less control over deciding tax positions or even standards of client service. My own evaluation found Quickfinder to be faster to use on topics I know well, with more comprehensive citations for topics I need to research.