ATX Community

Dual Monitors

MAMalody

I have seen many of you indicate the benefit of a dual monitor set up. So I have decided to go that way.

Question: I have a laptop and if I set this up can I use my laptop as a stand alone without any problems or other specific instructionsl.

Question: Can someone provide me step-by-step procedure to set this up. I am computer challenged so you may want to include when to plug in the monitor. You can post here or e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks ahead of time for the help. I truly appreciate it, and will probably even appreciate it more during tax season.

have a great day!

Mike

I will tell you the steps in a generic way. The easiest way is to buy a docking station and two monitors. You dock your computer and make one of the monitors your primary one and the second one you make it extended.

You could use the monitor of your laptop as your secondary monitor and only buy one monitor. The problem with this set up is that Windows sometimes forgets the settings and you need to redo them from time to time. The other problem is that laptop screens are smaller.

If you do not want to spend a log of money, you can simply attach a monitor to your laptop and make it as your secondary/extended screen. The problem with this set up is that you need to be connecting cables each time you bring your computer to your desk.

If you tell us what computer you have, maybe you will get more replies. Also tell us if you are planing to buy a docking station and 2 monitors.

I have a 17" HP laptop and want to use it as the primary and a separate monitor to use as the secondary. I prefer not to use a docking station and am willing to hook/unhook as necessary. It is only one cord. I currently need to hook up a USB hub anyway that has my printer, external hard drive and mouse on it.

Turn off your computer and connect the monitor to it. Power the monitor up and the computer. When the computer boots up, you will have the exact same thing on both monitors. Right click on a blank (non icon)portion of your desktop, select properties, click on settings and click on the number 2. and select "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" click OK. In order to drag a program to the second screen, you have to "restore down" your screen by clicking the icon next to the red X that closes the window, then you drag it to the second monitor.

If you physical arrange for the monitor is backwards with dragging and dropping, you go back to the settings scres and drag the number 2 (monitor) to the left and drop it.

>>you will have the exact same thing on both monitors<<

That's exactly why I don't bother with dual monitors--just 'cause one is good doesn't make more than one more gooder. I'll come on board when we got software that will show DIFFERENT things. You know, I don't always want my client seeing exactly what I'm up to. And then there's those divorced couples who still both insist you have to do their return. It could also be useful in IRS audits and all sorts of other situations.

I don't have the same thing on my two monitors. I have my "complete" desktop on my "main" monitor and only what I choose on the second one. When I work myself on tax returns, I have the prior year on the right and current on the left. When I have a client in to see their return (rare because I do nearly everything online), they only see the monitor I choose them to see.

All day I have the internet browser on the right with 2 constant tabs - my homepage and ATXCommunity. On the left I have my email client (Eudora) and most of whatever I am working on at the moment. That could be a document, spreadsheet, QB or other program (although I nearly always have the QB programs on the right).

At any time I can minimize any program and drag to the other monitor if the arrangement is better for a given task. I wouldn't go back to a single monitor for anything.

I don't use a particular program to accomplish what I think you are describing. When I have different applications open, I just reduce the size to drag to the monitor of choice. The next time it is opened, it will be on that monitor.

I adjust the desktop by adjusting the settings for each. Since I normally use the 800x600 size due to bad eyes, sometimes an internet site won't work well. So I change the properties for that monitor only as needed and change back when I wish. No special program.

Since the computer in this case is not a test computer but rather the computer that helps earn income, I will give a general (rule of thumb) suggestion to all in this community. If you need a new feature on your computer, see if a program already installed on your computer (Windows, ATX, MS Office, etc) has that feature. If not, you need to consider how much you will benefit from that feature and how frequent you will use it. Then you will make a decision to whether install or not. The problem with installing new programs for every little thing that you need is that they might conflict with core programs such as Windows, ATX, MS Office. Even if a conflict is not evident, a lot of these little programs start automatically when you boot up your computer and they stay resident all the time. Another problem is that when you uninstall a program, residues stay on your computer hard drive and registry and down the road your computer will not be as fast as before (sounds familiar?). Using a registry cleaner (which I don’t recommend) is a risky business depending on your computer and software installed. Another problem with installing and uninstalling programs is that it fragments your hard drive.

One day I went to another preparer’s office and I saw she had a cool internet screen saver, I told her, “that coolness might hunt you down the road”. I told her, “You shouldn’t do that on your work computer, you could compromise it”. I explained to her that she had: Names, addresses, social security numbers and bank information for whole families, as well as employers information. About two months later, she called me and complained that her computer was not working at all because she had viruses. I explained to her that her computer was working and working hard to satisfy the demands from the viruses and that the computer didn’t have time to honor her requests. I hope no information was compromised.

Going back to the case at hand, see what trash or programs are starting automatically on your computer by clicking on start, run and type msconfig and press enter. Click on the startup tab and most of those programs do not need to be resident all the time. Unselecting them from here doesn’t mean that you will remove that program but it means it will not start automatically. When you invoke the program from your short cut or from all programs, the program will start. If you unselect any program from the startup tab, you will get a message next time you reboot. Just select “don’t show me this message again” and OK.

If you want to see if your hard drive needs to be defragmented, double click on my computer, right click “local disk C:” properties, defragment now, and analyze.

I scooted a few things over until I had enough room for the monitor stand. Then they all got scooted back to their original positions. My first monitor moved over about two inches so I had to permanently reposition my cork teacup trivet two inches over as well. I also changed the angle of my first monitor so it doesn't hide the side of the second one.