ATX Community

If paper file federal, can't e-file state?

David

I would still like to e-file state tax returns for the first time homebuyer federal returns that have to be paper filed. Last year we were able to paper file a federal return and still e-file a state return.

This year I can't seem to be able to e-file a state return if the federal return is paper filed. The state EF Info wants my EFIN. I try to hard key (override) but it will only accept the EFIN from the 1040 EF INFO. I can't seem to get around this so I have just paper filed both federal and state.

Has anyone figured out how to e-file just a state return and get around the EFIN issue?

Thanks.

I don't know your state but, if it is a 'piggy back' state like Ohio, you cannot efile as a stand alone. Ohio returns begin with the AGI so cannot be efiled independently. KY and some others can be efiled separately as they begin with original data.

Actually, Virginia returns begin with federal AGI but they can be filed alone because Virginia allows that. It is not where the data comes from but how the state processes e-files and what they allow.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I tried creating the 1040 EF Info but not setting it up for e-filing. However, it seems like everything (EFIN and direct deposit info) all linked back to the 1040 EF Info.

The error message said that the direct deposit info had to come from the 1040 EF INFO, and then the client letter would still say a check was being mailed.

Everything was not linked until I got rid of the e-file forms. I didn't have this problem last year. What changed?

Any other ideas?

If you leave the efile forms in, and complete them just like you were going to efile, then you go to 'create efile' and there you select, if your state allows the option, the state as a 'stand-alone' efile, you can create the efile for just the state. That pulls info from the federal 1040efile page, but does not efile anything except the state. After you efile the state, you paper file the federal, and you are good to go. Just because you have the efile forms in there does not mean you have to efile it. Nor do you have to remove them to do a paper return.

If you leave the efile forms in, and complete them just like you were going to efile, then you go to 'create efile' and there you select, if your state allows the option, the state as a 'stand-alone' efile, you can create the efile for just the state. That pulls info from the federal 1040efile page, but does not efile anything except the state. After you efile the state, you paper file the federal, and you are good to go. Just because you have the efile forms in there does not mean you have to efile it. Nor do you have to remove them to do a paper return.

Thanks, KC, that is the way I have always filed OH (state only) e-files. When you go to select which returns you want to send, choose "state only" and nothing else.

AnnieR

Why are you paper filing the federal? Because of the home credit? Because you are requesting an ITIN? or simply because you want to delay the refund?

In any event, pretend for a moment that you are leaving out the event that forces you to paper file the federal return. Prepare both the federal and state efile files, but do not piggy back it. The go to efile and send only the state efile file and continue working on the paper federal return.

Why are you paper filing the federal? Because of the home credit? Because you are requesting an ITIN? or simply because you want to delay the refund?

In any event, pretend for a moment that you are leaving out the event that forces you to paper file the federal return. Prepare both the federal and state efile files, but do not piggy back it. The go to efile and send only the state efile file and continue working on the paper federal return.

The situation occurs when the filer owes federal but is getting a state refund that will cover the federal debt. Filer e-files state, takes his refund and paper files the fed along with a check in payment.

AnnieR

It is so good to keep learning! Mechanically I have selected to efile federal and Ohio because in the first year of efiling (I just checked back for 2001), it was not possible to select Ohio only for submission. I feel so very dumb to not have realized in the interim that it changed. But then, I don't think there have been more than a handful of clients that would have chosen that. The first few years it was nearly arm twisting to get folks to even consider it. Hmmm, retirement still lookin' good!

I don't know your state but, if it is a 'piggy back' state like Ohio, you cannot efile as a stand alone. Ohio returns begin with the AGI so cannot be efiled independently. KY and some others can be efiled separately as they begin with original data.

WI is piggyback and it can be filed alone. Put at least $1 on the 1040 on Line 7. This will allow the e-file forms to work for you. When you create the e-file, choose state only. It will create and file just fine.