ATX Community

Tax Cheat

ILLMAS

From the Chicago Tribune:

Sentence for tax cheat: Provide free prom dresses

May 19, 2010 8:28 AM | 4 Comments | UPDATED STORY

A bridal shop owner has been ordered to play fairy godmother to hundreds of teenage girls as restitution for cheating on his company's sales tax returns.

Dale Buziecki, 64, president and owner of House of Brides Inc., pleaded guilty Monday in Cook County to filing fraudulent sales tax returns for his stores in Glen Ellyn, Norridge, Schaumburg, Oak Lawn and Chicago.

As part of his punishment, the Wheaton man was ordered to donate 500 formal dresses a year for the next three years to the Glass Slipper Project, a nonprofit that collects and distributes prom outfits for Chicago-area high school students who can't afford them.

"The state will recover the sales tax owed and, through the required community service, many young women who want to attend their high school prom will have that opportunity," Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan said in a written statement.

Criminal investigators with the Illinois Department of Revenue estimate that the tax scofflaw overstated deductions and underreported more than $5 million in sales from November 2005 through June 2006. Buziecki could not be reached for comment.

The court also ordered him to serve 30 months probation, pay a roughly $280,000 fine and perform 250 hours of community service.

Duh!!! My wife got her wedding dress from this joint, that I paid for. LOL

>>$5 million in sales from November 2005 through June 2006<<

Wow! And that's just one company, and just the extra sales not reported. I'm sure glad I had all boys -- $88 tux rental from Men's Wearhouse!

I had boys too, but tux rentals sure sound a lot less expensive in CA than they are in WI. And then the boys have little girls who grow up and get married like ours did last Sept. Sooner or later, you get nailed.

Shoot... thats nothing... wait until the little girl divorces and you pay for a second wedding. I had 3 girls and 2 of them have had a second wedding. The younger generation now days just don't pay attention or take responsibility for what they promise.

My wife and I are from the old school. We are celebrating our 60th wedding anniversary tomorrow May 21. The years have been blessed.

Same here. My husband and I have been married 58 years. It isn't always easy but it was

worthwhile. We have five sons and only one is divorced, so we are proud of that.

Congratulations to all of you on your long marriages. It proves the instituion of marriage is very strong. My wife and I have only been married 15 years so I also feel like we're just starting out. My in laws have been married 62 years and still going strong.