ATX Community

NT: Remember in November

Catherine

It's election day. Please remember to vote.

Please remember also to vote for candidates who are honest and principled, and who will do the best job of representing your values. It doesn't matter whether the person is an incumbent or challenger, Democrat, Republican, Independent, Libertarian, Green, Constitution, Anti-High-Rent, or any other party. Just demand integrity and true representation from them.

Remember - and remind them, that they work for YOU. NOT the other way around, and certainly not for the gaggle of special interest groups just waiting to co-opt and corrupt them. Remind them often, and - if they sell out to those special interests - fire them next time around.

• Like 1

>>It's election day.<<

I was a poll worker. When it came time to reconcile the closing counts, I had a long argument about a partial pack of unused ballots. They were numbered 320 to 350, so everyone else said there were 30 (ending number minus starting number, 50 minus 20). I insisted there were 31. Finally I said, "just count each one." They said that it didn't make any sense, but they were too tired so they wrote down 31. That is how I saved democracy!

Counting ballots - what a novel idea!

Glad you were there.

Just think, if you were in Illinois and these were military ballots, you wouldn't have needed to bother with any of this pesky counting nonsense.

(anyhow, thanks for performing a sometimes thankless task. Poll workers are the glue holding the system together.)

>>It's election day.<<

I was a poll worker. When it came time to reconcile the closing counts, I had a long argument about a partial pack of unused ballots. They were numbered 320 to 350, so everyone else said there were 30 (ending number minus starting number, 50 minus 20). I insisted there were 31. Finally I said, "just count each one." They said that it didn't make any sense, but they were too tired so they wrote down 31. That is how I saved democracy!

Good for you Jainen....We voted first thing in the AM and I still had calls all day long asking me to vote. I was happy to tell them that I already had.

I worked on a US Congressman's campaign once, and there is no doubt, that poll workers are under appreciated. Thanks for your contribution to making a system work, especially in CA. Inclusive numbers, why do people let them confuse them so? It is a good way to get a free diet Coke for lunch though.

I also worked the polls yesterday, as I have for several years. In the brief time we had between rushes, we discussed how privileged we felt to live in a democracy, particularly one where we do not feel intimidated or harassed when we vote. I like Catherine's comment, and heartily recommend throwing the old rascals out when they become rascals. I was thrilled by the high turnout we had in our precinct yesterday.

I also worked in a campaign once. I was the campus coordinator for the Democratic candidate for governor when I was in college. Got to go to all the meetings with the County officials, precinct bosses, and various other big shots. Pretty heady stuff for a college sophomore.

Of course, I also labored under the illusion that the election was a contest of ideas and principles rather then the raw exercise of power by ruthless political operatives. I was so naive at the time - when they started handing out the envelopes of cash for "gas money" the night before the election, I actually thought the precinct bosses were going to use it to pay for fuel to transport people to the polls...