ATX Community

Dumb Client

Terry D EA

Client comes to my office, gets taxes prepared and completed on Feb 11th. Fairly simple return, client asks if she can post date her check till she gets paid on Feb 15. I grudglingly accept. Check is dated Feb 14 and stupid me, I go to the bank and make a deposit on Monday Feb 14th. You guessed it, client's check bounced, she was charged $35.00, me nothing got my money. Now, client thinks I should reimburse her for the $35.00 fee for not waiting to cash a check dated earlier. Huh? I forgot, I didn't read her mind and didn't know she made a mistake on the dating of the check so again, it is my fault. Huh?? Well now, here is my final response to the client, remember when you asked me if I would turn you in to the IRS for telling me you were doing something illegal after your return was transmitted???? for $35.00 I'll keep my mouth shut. No, I don't know what the illegal thing was cause I asked her to leave, don't care and am glad she is pissed enough to not come back next year. Geez!

Client comes to my office, gets taxes prepared and completed on Feb 11th. Fairly simple return, client asks if she can post date her check till she gets paid on Feb 15. I grudglingly accept. Check is dated Feb 14 and stupid me, I go to the bank and make a deposit on Monday Feb 14th. You guessed it, client's check bounced, she was charged $35.00, me nothing got my money. Now, client thinks I should reimburse her for the $35.00 fee for not waiting to cash a check dated earlier. Huh? I forgot, I didn't read her mind and didn't know she made a mistake on the dating of the check so again, it is my fault. Huh?? Well now, here is my final response to the client, remember when you asked me if I would turn you in to the IRS for telling me you were doing something illegal after your return was transmitted???? for $35.00 I'll keep my mouth shut. No, I don't know what the illegal thing was cause I asked her to leave, don't care and am glad she is pissed enough to not come back next year. Geez!

WOW! Must be having a really bad day. Not exactly a picnic here, either.

I think some of us may have reached that point in the tax season where the amount of money we are making is not worth the crap we are putting up with. Every year, I cannot wait for tax season to start so I can start filling up my checking account. At some point in the tax season, I can't wait for it to get over.

ARE WE THERE YET?

Tom

Lodi, CA

Hang in there, Terry! Offer her a free retun for next year. Maybe she'll forget & go somewhere else :-)

Eli

I did consider being the nice guy here and giving her the $35.00. I wouldn't take her back next year at all because of the question she asked. Matter of fact, if she wants to further harass me, I'll probably give it to her. Stupidity on her part doesn't trigger sympathy on mine. This girl is playing some kind of game here that I knew nothing of until the return was transmitted and because I refused to listen to her I still have no idea what illegal thing she is talking about nor do I want to know because of the position it puts me in. I didn't use this in a stupid way, I simply went to the bank and deposited the check on the date it was written as she asked. Agreed $35.00 is nothing and that in and of itself is not my concern.

I don't accept post-dated checks.

I don't "wait till I get my refund to pay you."

Tax preparation time comes the same time each year.

I offer Fee-Collect at an additional charge.

I have not ever been shorted by the Fee-Collect method and I make an additional $5 for all the hoops that have to be jumped through.

I no longer have to worry about whether to take back a client that paid very late, or did not pay at all.

If my services and knowledge are not worth a little responsibility on the part of my client, then I am not the preparer for them.

My Electric company or phone company will not be so accomodating.... Neither will Wal-Mart or the Grocery store.

• Like 1

... Well now, here is my final response to the client, remember when you asked me if I would turn you in to the IRS for telling me you were doing something illegal after your return was transmitted???? for $35.00 I'll keep my mouth shut. No, I don't know what the illegal thing was...

If I ever get a question like this from a nice looking lady, I will say "it depends".

I think your client practces the oldest, illegal profession and she saw in you a potential client. lol.

Bouncing a check is still a misdemeanor in many states. Tell HER your going to file a police report if she doesn't cough up the balance due within 30 days.

You did nothing wrong. You deposited a check on the date it was dated. It was her legal obligation to have the funds available.

Which brings me to another point. Ever since the recent consumer protection law passed regarding banks and credit cards, I may stop taking checks all-together. Customers now have to opt-in in order to allow checks to be paid by the back even if they don't have the funds to cover the check. Otherwise, the default action is for the check to "bounce", causing a fee for the accountholder and the depositer.

In tha last few years, I can't remember having a bounced check. This year, I already have seen one. $20 fee on me. I may stick to cash, credit card, or RAC. Can't do FeeCollect because I still have a number of unbanked customers.

>> It was her legal obligation to have the funds available.<<

That is not accurate. A post-dated check is nothing more than an I.O.U. Terry has no reason to be upset because she already knew there were no funds when she accepted it. A better way to handle it would have been to insist on a current date and promise to hold the check until funds are available.

>> It was her legal obligation to have the funds available.<<

That is not accurate. A post-dated check is nothing more than an I.O.U. Terry has no reason to be upset because she already knew there were no funds when she accepted it. A better way to handle it would have been to insist on a current date and promise to hold the check until funds are available.

You are correct. BUT Terry waited until the I.O.U. matured and then he cashed it. What's in writing one time is more powerful than what it was said a million times.

By signing and dating the check she is liable and it is a felony signing checks without having the funds.

>> it is a felony<<

Well, I admit that felonies are sometimes committed in our offices. But post-dating a check is simply promising to pay in the future. And must I point out that Terry WAS paid exactly when promised?

Come on, folks, it's still only February. We shouldn't start ragging on our clients for at least another month.

Besides... $35? No biggie! Try my problem last week when Intuit Merchant Solutions double-billed my client who I processed a credit card for, and then caused her to have two overdraft fees. If it were any client... than that would be fine. But it was one of my most difficult clients to begin with. :angry: