ATX Community

OK, I have a suggestion

samingeorgia

Because of the two-step process in transmitting E-Files, this now requires more management to make sure everything goes in with no problems. There's so much text on the E-file manager screen that I tag accepted E-files as complete, and then click to view only the "Incomplete" E-files. That has helped.

But I think it would help if the "status" messages could be in different colors. They already use red for rejected, why not use green for created and blue for everything else?

Transmitted to EFC, transmitted to agency, accepted -- it's all the same to me. But I sure need to see what is created that needs to be transmitted! What do you all think?

There's one or more members of this community that have the ear of TPTB -- maybe they could pass this on?

This is an excellent idea. We could have a rainbow when we go to efile manager and that would also refresh our day.

I agree. Haha!

I would like a way to view all returns where e-files have NOT been created. When we were waiting on Sch A, I was worried that I would forget to create and send once the floodgates opened. Also, the hold up on Clergy Worksheets made me wonder if I would forget the preach. I always compare the number of e-files to the total returns, but would love to see the returns that are NOT e-files yet so I know I didn't forget anybody.

One tool that I find helpful is to sort the e-files by status. If I click on the word status at the top of the list, the returns sort themselves according to their status rather than alpha by return name. This makes it easier for me to be sure I have found everything that has a status of created when I am getting ready to transmit returns.

I have made this suggestion many times over the years.... I would like to see "efile Status" on the regular

Return Manager.... Then it would be easier to keep track of returns that have not been efiled...

Why can't the two managers "share" information?

What say you all??

Taxtrio

I agree, although I basically do that by moving the 'status' field next to the phone number, and then entering my codes for 'data received' 'in process' 'ready', 'transmitted', 'extended' and 'acked'. I can then sort by that status with a single click. But yes, I would like to see the filters for Incomplete, Complete, Marked expanded to include Efiled.

I agree. Haha!

I would like a way to view all returns where e-files have NOT been created. When we were waiting on Sch A, I was worried that I would forget to create and send once the floodgates opened. Also, the hold up on Clergy Worksheets made me wonder if I would forget the preach. I always compare the number of e-files to the total returns, but would love to see the returns that are NOT e-files yet so I know I didn't forget anybody.

We used the client ID box and put in "Sch A" for all the returns that we were holding for e-file. It was pretty easy to see.

I also use the completed button for accepted e-files and only look at the incompletes.

I agree with Rita. I would like something in the return manager to say that a return was not e-filed. Occasionally there is a good reason (like the homebuyer credit)that the return was not e-filed.

For the first time in the history of my practice, I actually forgot to e-file a client's return last year. I have no idea how that happened. They got a letter from the state of CA saying very politely that they always file a return but they did not get one last year. Talk about an "OH CRAP" moment when I went to the e-file tab and did not see their return. Totally my fault. We are going to go through every completed return on April 10th this year and double check that the returns have been e-filed.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I use the "STATUS" field on the Return Manager to help with this.

When I receive the signed 8879, I change the status to "e-file".

Now I leave the Return Manager and work begins in the E-File Manager.

The Federal is in the "Created" state and the State is in the "Held" state.

For the E-file filter, I use Created and Held, so these are all I see in the display.

I e-file the Federal returns that I changed the status to "e-file" for.

When they are accepted, the state moves from Held to Created.

Transmit those.

When they are accepted, I mark the Complete box for Federal and State in the E-file Manager,

then I change the Status field in the Return Manager to "complete" and mark the Complete box

in the Return Manager.

Have not missed an e-file following this procedure for several years.

Hope this helps!

p.s. Here is the complete list of STATUS values I use:

have

entered

need info

printed

assembled

e-file

complete

I understand all that... and we all have our ways of keeping things in order. But all these things take up precious time. And I for one, need all the time I can get to get returns done and returning client's calls etc.

I would be a real time saver for me if I could just "filter" returns in the return manager to see who's been efiled and who hasn't... I'm sure it wouldn't be that complicated for the programmers to allow the efiled status to "crossover" to return manager. Or at least give us an easier way to compare the return manager with the efile manager. The only real way to compare and be sure everything has been efiled is to print them both and compare by hand.

The way I keep control of things is this. My paper file (8879 and copies of W-2's etc.) stay in the file next to my

desk. Every Sunday afternoon (the only time I don't have a client in front of me) I pull out the paper files

and look it up on the efile manager. If it's accepted, it's marked complete and put in the "to be filed pile".

It doesn't get filed until both federal and state show accepted. I find this easier than comparing the managers to find who's missing in action.

Taxtrio

Maybe I'm think of something different, but I asked ATX, when it was still ATX, if something like this could be done automatically in the return manager. Say, like when the return is transmitted, pending, accepted, rejected, held; etc so you could see the return status fromt he one screen. Unfortunately, it never happened.