ATX Community

Dell Users

Tax Prep by Deb

I'm in the market for a new computer. I definitely want to stick with Dell. But I'm not sure which make or model, or configuration. Any suggestions? I've heard there are some issues with the 64 bit operating system. I don't do any gaming or watching of videos, I will be using this computer strictly for business. I run mainly ATX software and Quickbooks.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Deb!

I am not a dell user, however I would recommend the optiplex 780 series with Win 7 professional 32bit, these work horses are built for businesses so you don't have to worry about games or extra software being install on it, the only problem I see you don't really get any savings if you buy Microsoft Office from them, it's pretty pricy but can be bought for cheaper somewhere else.

I'm in the market for a new computer. I definitely want to stick with Dell. But I'm not sure which make or model, or configuration. Any suggestions? I've heard there are some issues with the 64 bit operating system. I don't do any gaming or watching of videos, I will be using this computer strictly for business. I run mainly ATX software and Quickbooks.

Deb!

Deb-

I just bought an Optiplex 380 (business class Dell) at their small business site. I found it at a link on Slickdeals but all the discount notifiers show it. Irt was 4GB RAM Dual Core 250 GB HD. Check it out. It was supposed to be available until March 17th. Price = $304 (pre tax)

Deb!

what version of quickbooks will you be using? I bought a new computer in January with a 64 bit and windows 7 and I could not get older verison of quickbooks to work on it. I know there is a work around but for me I could not do it in January. also heard on this board that some of the older atx programs wouldn't work on 64 bit I wnet back to using by old computer just put more ram in it and made sure I had double back up

what version of quickbooks will you be using? I bought a new computer in January with a 64 bit and windows 7 and I could not get older verison of quickbooks to work on it. I know there is a work around but for me I could not do it in January. also heard on this board that some of the older atx programs wouldn't work on 64 bit

The Dell deal I mentioned includes a free upgrade to Widows 7 professional (64 bit)

Why would you buy a 32 bit when all the new software will be for a 64 bit processor?

I know very little about computers, but what is the difference between a 32 and a 64? My main reason for wanting the 32 is because I've heard of some issues with older software.

I will be installing 2011 Quickbook Pro, but I have ATX going back for many years.

Deb!

>>issues with older software<<

For the first time in my life my new computer is not old technology. I ordered an Affinity from Costco.com for the least I've ever paid for a computer, less than building my own. Awesome machine that runs all my silly old shareware flawlessly. (The day it was delivered Intel recalled the Sandy Bridge motherboards, so I'll have to deal with that next month.)

I know very little about computers, but what is the difference between a 32 and a 64? My main reason for wanting the 32 is because I've heard of some issues with older software.

I will be installing 2011 Quickbook Pro, but I have ATX going back for many years.

Deb!

By this time, all major software are compatible with 64bit OS.

This is what you do. You keep your old computers with your old programs and buy the greatest and latest and install the previous year and the current year. 98% of your work is from last year and current year. No problems with 64bit OS at this point since they have been here for a while.

I set up a Dell Vostro 64 bit in January. ATX works fine going back several years. The only problem I had with ATX was the Document Manager which I had not purchased this year, and the old version would not work. I had not updated last year's version, and they said the updated one should have worked. Quickbooks is another thing altogether... There is some way to make 2010 work (I did not have it so I'm not sure what it is), but other than that only 2011 will work on Win7.

One major warning - do NOT transfer via PC Mover. I did that and it corrupted files, supposedly because I was going from XP to Win7. Dell had suggested it. It may have had a way to choose specific things to move, but I did not see it. I had a total of about 12 annoying hours on the phone with tech support with QBooks and about 5 with ATX. The ATX techs were terrific. They tried so hard to find a solution. But in the end I had to purchase the new Document Manager. Then had to pay a tech company to wipe the computer and re-install the operating system. Word to the wise...after the fact, all of the tech people told me I should not have used PC mover!

When I purchased the computer Microsoft Office 2007 was included at no cost. 2010 would have been an extra. I actually still like 2003 better, but accepted the 2007.

Good luck.

Wendy

One major warning - do NOT transfer via PC Mover. I did that and it corrupted files, supposedly because I was going from XP to Win7. Dell had suggested it. It may have had a way to choose specific things to move, but I did not see it. I had a total of about 12 annoying hours on the phone with tech support with QBooks and about 5 with ATX. The ATX techs were terrific.

PC mover is good for virtual machines but not when you are upgrading to a very good OS such as Windows 7.

Why will you move your old hardwood floor when you are building a house that comes with marble floors?

I know very little about computers, but what is the difference between a 32 and a 64?

In simple terms. A computer has one or more processors (brain) that read data like a choo choo train and do math with the data. A 64 bit processor can read 64 train cars at a time, and you guessed it a 32 bit processor can only read 32 train cars. Which processor do you think would run your programs faster?

In simple terms. A computer has one or more processors (brain) that read data like a choo choo train and do math with the data. A 64 bit processor can read 64 train cars at a time, and you guessed it a 32 bit processor can only read 32 train cars. Which processor do you think would run your programs faster?

A very good illustration. Costco had a real good buy on one but it was a 64 bit and I was a little shy. Sure wish I had gone ahead and ordered it.

Deb!

Why stick with Dell (or any particular brand), Deb -- really?

I faced the same question, last December, when my 'second major' desktop suddenly died. As I still had enough time to shop, thoroughly, I ended up with a *blazingly*-fast HP (Hewlett-Packard) that offered *much* more (including 3-year, on-site/same-day support) for much *less* cost than Dell would offer -- despite my being in Dell's "preferred customer" programme since 2005. I got a 'numbers-only,' dual-core desktop with max Ram and installed video capable of supporting dual-monitors, etc., for under a grand -- including that maintenance package AND Office 2007 AND Quickbooks 2011. Also, it's 64-bit; and it's *never* frozen or crashed, unlike my XP Pro SP3 'primary' desktop (a Dell 3000, by the way).

Half a decade ago, I would've spit on HP; but, they've since reclaimed prowess & reliability -- also according to 'Consumer Reports.'

VERY truly yours, TaxCPANY

Deb!

:huh:

A very good illustration. Costco had a real good buy on one but it was a 64 bit and I was a little shy. Sure wish I had gone ahead and ordered it.

Deb!

They will be releasing SP1 very soon. As far as I and my "guru" can tell, Windows 7, 65 bit is very solid. At first there were issues with printer drivers, but two weeks ago I installed an older printer on my Win 7 laptop and it automatically went looking for and downloaded the driver that I needed. All those automatic windows updates are there for a reason. Of course, if my desktop with XP never dies, I will be a happy person, but one has to move with the times. Thankfully I was able to avoid Vista :mellow: totally.

Because you feel more confortable with a brand, price and services. I would say that we stick to a particular brand the same way some clients stick to us.

Exactly!

My first computer was an HP and it left a very bitter taste in my mouth. It had problems from the start and fortunately their customer service guy had my dad do something that totally fried the machine and HP had to buy it back.

Next computer was an NEC. Great machine but my business soon grew to the point that it could no longer keep up. Was talked into another HP, bought two of these for my office, totally a piece of junk. Finally purchased a Dell, actually within one year I purchased 4 Dells. All have been trouble free, not even a hiccup, and the youngest of these is 6 years old.

Nothing is technically wrong with my work computer now, except either it is getting slower or I'm getting faster. Anyway I love my Dell's and at this point would not even consider anything else.

Just my thoughts!

Deb!