ATX Community

NT - -Off Season "Hobbies"

Terry O

OK - -after just finishing a rather large & time-consuming project last week, I am wondering - - -just how many other tax preparers have sewing or woodworking as their off season hobby.

I belong to a sewing guild, and it appears that about 20% are in the bookkeeping/accounting/tax prep business - - -must be that right/side or left/side brain thing - - -very interesting.

As my annual "NON-court mandated community service" this year, we (family & I) re-upholstered 12 altar chairs, 5 kneelers, 7 ft Cedelia cushion, 16 kneeler pads, and re-worked a 90 yr old original to the Basilica gold embroidered altar cloth. Yeah - -last week - -good thing I am semi-retired!!!!

This is all for tomorrow's celebration of a local priest Fr. Baker who just moved up to Venerable on the sainthood-food chain. Celebration is at Our Lady of Victory Basilica - -which if you are ever int eh Buffalo/Lackawanna vicinity - -I highly suggest - -stop in & see one of the most beautiful churches in America - -very European style - - olv.org

I like to do needlepoint in my free time. I prefer kits with multiple stitches (hard to find) because I tend to get bored just doing continental & basketweave. I just don't have enough artistic talent to do my own patterns / designs.

I used to do a lot of different needlework projects while I watched TV--felt that I had to do something worthwhile while vegging. I watch very little TV now so my needlework projects have fallen away. I really enjoyed counted cross stitch. Now I work at playing golf and volunteering at the AF base pharmacy. After this season I will start volunteering at the local public library and who knows what else. MM

I am a dilettante - I like to do a little bit of everything. Unfortunately, for the last few years I have been trying to work and go to school, so most of my hobbies have been abandoned. But when I have time I like to sew, embroider, cross-stitch, crochet, refinish furniture, latch hook, cook, and I want to learn to knit. But church activities take a lot of my time, and even though my son is no longer a boy scout, I am still active as a Merit Badge Counselor. And during tax season, who needs a hobby?

I used to make all my own clothes (back when there was no such thing as the "petite" section in the stores). I still do lots of mending and alterations and make things when I can, or help my girls with their projects. I have a few cross-stitch projects floating around, half-done. I knit and crochet but am better at teaching those things than completing projects on my own. I have re-upholstered chairs (including a channel-back wing chair that my grandparents bought in 1926 -- I finished it the day before Gwen was born (and she turned 18 yesterday)). I have a lovely small collection of sewing machines (including a treadle machine).

I garden (and can some of what I grow), I bicycle, I play fiddle, in the winter I shoot in a pistol league and in the spring I shoot in a rifle league. Used to do martial arts, too (Wah Lum style kung fu, 15 years) but gave that up a few years ago. And for the last year I've been running a monthly US Constitution study group.

I keep myself kinda busy, I guess.

I like to work in my yard. Have several fruit trees and a small garden. Lots of roses.

I also like to BBQ, or what you folks down south call "grillin". We do it Santa Maria style out here on a hotter grill for less time. Tri-tip is my specialty, but I also like ribs, brisket, and of course rib eyes.

The best possible weekend for me is to get up early on a Saturday in September, get the yard work done, take a dip in the pool, light off the BBQ and watch a WORLD CHAMPION GIANTS game, followed by a Fresno State Football game.

Tom

Lodi, CA

You say we could bore people, I say we can talk them all into trying diving after things slow down!!! I teach here in CA when my schedule allows it for a local shop. We finish all our training in Catalina. Due to the fact I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 9 month old, I am sticking to the Western Hemisphere (6-7 days is the max time we will leave the kids). This year repeating places I like: Bonaire in May, Belize in Aug and looking to books something for December...

Good to hear it. I teach PADI as well and am also a SDI/TDI instructor because I like teaching TDI's tech classes more than Padi's DSAT programs.

Lets get these returns done and go diving!!!

I go to every Bulldog game, I am gonna stop by and try your tri tip and the next tail gate!!!!

I am A SCUBA instructor and try and spend the off season spending as little time as possible maintaining my clients and traveling the world diving.

I used to be a season ticket holder when I lived in Fresno. Haven't been to a live game in years. Last one was 2 years ago in Reno. I was going to get the tickets for the Cal game at Candlestick, but my oldest son will be playing his first college game that day, so I will have to keep up with it on my iphone.

Where do you live that you can go to every game?

Tom

Lodi, CA

My sons and I are baseball umpires. USSSA tournaments and High School. It was one of those strange twists - instead of complaining - we decided we should "put up" and are now in our ninth season. The most fun is the couple of times a year when we work a game together.

Retired Greyhound racing dogs. One owns us, and we help get others adopted. Heading out after work to get nine more to place in foster homes in the area - twenty-nine are on their way (as I type) from Oklahoma to California to work hard at being retired.

Formerly, Sprint Car, Kart, and BMX racing... and if you go way back, hardtops at Vallejo Speedway most every Saturday from April to October from birth until the track closed.

Dennis

Can I use program help if I don't have the program downloaded? I use quickbooks but I refer any of my clients that want to do payroll and can't afford or don't like QB to use Medlin. Will the email question work if I don't own the program. She doesn't have internet access. always has the disc mailed.

thanks

My sons and I are baseball umpires. USSSA tournaments and High School. It was one of those strange twists - instead of complaining - we decided we should "put up" and are now in our ninth season. The most fun is the couple of times a year when we work a game together.

Retired Greyhound racing dogs. One owns us, and we help get others adopted. Heading out after work to get nine more to place in foster homes in the area - twenty-nine are on their way (as I type) from Oklahoma to California to work hard at being retired.

Formerly, Sprint Car, Kart, and BMX racing... and if you go way back, hardtops at Vallejo Speedway most every Saturday from April to October from birth until the track closed.

Dennis

Our son has a rescue greyhound - -and Miss Daisy has the BEST winter coat thanks to Granma Terry O! Do you have any suggestions for greyhound coat patterns?