ATX Community

Tax Season 2011

Hugo

Why is this year so different? I, too, am so not ready. Worked on W2s all day today, but no heart in it at all. Have clients balking at Direct Debit for WI "My Tax Account" and EFTPS. And, who can blame them. Nobody likes to be controlled. Calls and e-mails are coming in and I just want to hide. Perhaps the first big snowstorm of the year which is expected tonight and tomorrow will help to clear the air. Good Luck to the rest of you. :mad:

I started getting calls in December; I already have appointments set with new clients and have seen a few already for 4th quarter estimates and projections. It's my first year fully self-employed and I'm scared & excited; excited by all the new calls, and scared I won't have the energy for them. And I may not make enough to cover the rest of the year. But I haven't really stopped at all except by ignoring the work on my desk periodically since Oct. 15.

• Like 2

Hey, Joan, if you're not seeing enough bookkeeping, tax planning, whatever to take you through the year but are getting lots of calls for tax preparation, then put people on extension to take as many tax clients as possible. You can prepare a lot more returns in 12 months than you can in three. New clients where you need to review past issues, complex clients needing research, clients who come in after 15 March, any criteria you choose. Offer them a discount if they'll go on extension if you have to. Most effective if they don't owe and aren't in a hurry for what looks like a small refund or seem disorganized, would take up a lot of your time, need hand-holding, are already bringing in info in drips and drabs, etc. Save your most time-consuming returns for later so you can prepare as many as possible now.

My first year, learning new software, I offered discounts to some of my nicer clients who followed me if they'd go on extension. Only one preferred their return by 15 April.

• Like 1

I've practiced 'anything after March 31 goes on extension' for a few years now. I may move that up based on workflow. Last year (I lost my job March 25) I was working nonstop til the end of May on extensions. I took a break when I came home from work on 3-25 to be depressed, but didn't have time to fret since I had appointments booked up all day the 26 & 27th, took a look at the stacks of returns backlogged since I had more new clients coming in than I had time or energy to work when I had the job, and started in 10-12 hours a day 7 days a week to get them done, and still had work til the end of May and more calling in all the time who had put themselves on extension.

I've been happier & less stressed than I've been in years. My biggest problem is a serious lack of energy. I'm taking mega vitamins, getting enough sleep, taking naps, but still have a hard time getting going at times. That is what I'm nervous about; that I won't be able to keep my commitments to my clients.

I do have a roommate that cooks and brings my dinner up to my desk though, so I won't have to resort to JB's astronaut food!

I have been to the doctor, but so far all they found was low vitamin D. I suspected low B12 as well, but had been taking mega doses for a few weeks before I saw her, so it came back in the normal range. But I'm continuing on the Bs as well as D. I had a heart monitor for a day, but haven't gotten the results yet.

Since the weather here is nice, I am going to make a point of taking a 'turn' about my yard each day with my dogs. Since my yard is several acres, it's a nice walk, the dogs like it, and being out in the sunshine helps. Being able to take or schedule my own breaks will be a nice change from being locked to a desk and phone.

Well, I'm off to bed. I'm a night owl, but have my tax update class all day tomorrow.....and it starts at 8am!

• Like 1

This is my first weekend. Tax season officially began!

And I have a lot more clients already chewing at the bit early this year. I think its the good weather that were having that keeps people motivated and busier. When it gets cold, we tend to "hole-up" and watch TV. Well - I use the word "we" loosely..............You and I go to the office.

This is year 30 for me - - --semi-retired a few years ago. I could NOT handle the 600+ - - - -YES that was 600 tax returns that I prepared about 10 years ago. Thank heavens tuition was done, so there was no urgent need for me to kill myself every eyar. Did I mention, I work alone - - -yep - - all by myself. And for some reason, I agree, I have no interest this year.

Maybe it's the 2 new knees I was fortunate enough to get in May - - -maybe it's that my husband semi retired and is home more - - -maybe it's the REALLY unusual weather we have had here in Buffalo lately. But, I am ever grateful for ev eryone on this forum!

Good Luck this season to all!

• Like 1