ATX Community

In the off season

Janitor Bob

Good for you, JB! That's a lot in a short time so keep on moving whenever you can. Stand and march in place on the phone to use up a few calories.

Marathons and dive trips to great places for me work for me in off season. Last September was 2 weeks in the Maldives and the Chicago marathon in October. I was 4th in my age group (old ladies 65+) out of 23. Could have done better but my I was with my baby (57) brother who had 2 potty stops for 15 minutes total. First marathon jitters, I guess.

• Like 1

Good for you, JB! That's a lot in a short time so keep on moving whenever you can. Stand and march in place on the phone to use up a few calories.

Marathons and dive trips to great places for me work for me in off season. Last September was 2 weeks in the Maldives and the Chicago marathon in October. I was 4th in my age group (old ladies 65+) out of 23. Could have done better but my I was with my baby (57) brother who had 2 potty stops for 15 minutes total. First marathon jitters, I guess.

I would like to do some type of marathon (or half marathon more likely), but I admit to being slightly afraid.....4 miles on the tradmill every day...but not sure if I can pull off a marathon. When I started in September, my goal was (and still is) to lose 55 pounds by my birthday on March 25th.....If I can stick with it, another 15 pounds should be possible.....but tax season will make it soooo much tougher.

• Like 1

Congratulations, JB!!

I'm still hoping to lose the last 10 pounds I gained when expecting Gwen (who is now a college freshman). Nothing seems to make a difference - including biking miles every day culminating in my Idaho trip a couple summers ago. Daily training for months and then the trip itself; didn't lose a pound. Sigh. Was in great shape, though! Haven't lost much of that although in winter I switch to contra dancing.

Catherine, we have the same 'baby' issues. My tummy is from my baby, now 31 years old. And maybe you didn't lose pounds with that great training, but I'm pretty sure you gained great muscle conditioning and, remember, muscle weighs more than fat. I try to think more about my condition now than my weight but it's hard because those flat tummy days are long gone.

Maybe JB's success will keep us inspired and we can be a support group for that, too!

We have here in our nowhere little town a championship body builder and the former front man for Mattel toys - HeMan himself, Larry Opiela. No long blonde locks anymore, but in his mid-50's he's in awesome shape. He has been an awesome trainer for this mid-40 fatty, and I am proud to say that I have lost about 20 pounds since last year. (Well- give or take a little over the holiday....) I have made working out each day a priority and I feel better and have been less stressed. I go every day at lunch. (And hope I don't smell too bad in the afternoon.)