ATX Community

NT / The last straw

RitaB

That message about entering a valid 10-digit phone number is what is going to send me over the edge. For the one I'm on right now, the e-file would not create until I entered the deceased filer's work number. I do believe we will have enjoyable work to do in heaven, but surely the phone company will not be needed up there.

But Rita is totally correct, we should not have to know a client's phone number in order to complete their tax return. Some people, even today, do not even have a phone number. Others just do not want their phone number on documents that pass through many hands. Isn't this still a 'free country'?

• Like 2

My phone number has been in the phone book listings for 35 years. The phone company makes a TON of money NOT listing phone numbers, which can be easily obtained anyway. With caller ID technology, and the ease of screening with an inexpensive answering machine, or voice mail, I think people wanting their phone number to remain "hidden" is just an irrational paranoia for attention getting.

"Just because you aren't paranoid, doesn't mean that they aren't watching you!"

I believe a phone number is required only when the choice of payment of balance due is a direct debit. At least that is the only time I have ever seen that message and I don't put in phone numbers. The message asks for a daytime phone number so, if appropriate, it could be a work number. Or mail in a paper check.

I have a hard time thinking that this is an assault on freedom when the address, Social Security number, birthdate and tons of other information is already there. I should think, if there was a problem with the direct debit, I would almost prefer a heads-up phone call to clarify some anomaly with a live person than have it kicked out and potentially subject to penalities or other unfriendly responses. But that's me. The one with the dumb phone who is also paranoid about putting anything at all on a Facebook page created just within the last few weeks. And I think I'm going to delete it. It's scarier all the time, this privacy stuff!

Well, on this return, the widow is due a refund, to be directly deposited. Thie thing is, I had the home number of the deceased husband checked, and had a cell number for the widow in there on her side, but I was unable to create the e-file until I entered a number for the husband's work. I have done these people's returns for 18 years. This is the first year I've seen that message.

I was not really complaining about a number being required, but about having to enter a work number before I managed to get the e-file created. Epic waste of time. Neither of them had anything except retirement income, either. I can't figure why the home number wasn't sufficient.

Well, on this return, the widow is due a refund, to be directly deposited. Thie thing is, I had the home number of the deceased husband checked, and had a cell number for the widow in there on her side, but I was unable to create the e-file until I entered a number for the husband's work. I have done these people's returns for 18 years. This is the first year I've seen that message.

I was not really complaining about a number being required, but about having to enter a work number before I managed to get the e-file created. Epic waste of time. Neither of them had anything except retirement income, either. I can't figure why the home number wasn't sufficient.

And a deceased, retired tp's work phone number to boot! Hope you haven't pulled out ALL of your hair! I'd put 800-829-1040. I'd LOVE to ease drop on that conversation!

I don't know, it's just kinda one of those years. For example, last week, I had already e-filed two clergy returns, then the 3rd one I did, I got that message about clergy worksheets not being approved. Somehow, it went away after I closed the return and re-opened it.

I sometimes picture the tax gods / software gods laughing at me. And, have mercy, I did a partnership return, and it took longer to watch the software work to save it than it did for me to do it. And, if you have to re-create the e-file, might as well get up and get a snack. Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

• Like 2

I don't know, it's just kinda one of those years. For example, last week, I had already e-filed two clergy returns, then the 3rd one I did, I got that message about clergy worksheets not being approved. Somehow, it went away after I closed the return and re-opened it.

I sometimes picture the tax gods / software gods laughing at me. And, have mercy, I did a partnership return, and it took longer to watch the software work to save it than it did for me to do it. And, if you have to re-create the e-file, might as well get up and get a snack. Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

How old is your computer? How fast is the processor? How much RAM memory do you have? We upgraded equipment here and saw huge improvement is program speed. However, if you have more than 200 clients, ATX is slow, slow, slow and there is not a blessed thing you can do about it.

How old is your computer? How fast is the processor? How much RAM memory do you have? We upgraded equipment here and saw huge improvement is program speed. However, if you have more than 200 clients, ATX is slow, slow, slow and there is not a blessed thing you can do about it.

In dog years, it's probably already dead. I decided I'd look into the upgrade during one of those e-file creations from

$%&&.

I don't know nuttin bout hardware, but I found that I have 111 GB of space, and 47 is used. Oh, and this: AMD Sempron™ 2300+; 1.58 GHz, 1.48 GB of RAM. I can barely use the software, so if you tell me my computer is a dog, I have no choice but to believe you.

I do have close to 400 clients. Have done 157 returns this year.

In dog years, it's probably already dead. I decided I'd look into the upgrade during one of those e-file creations from

$%&&.

I don't know nuttin bout hardware, but I found that I have 111 GB of space, and 47 is used. Oh, and this: AMD Sempron™ 2300+; 1.58 GHz, 1.48 GB of RAM. I can barely use the software, so if you tell me my computer is a dog, I have no choice but to believe you.

I do have close to 400 clients. Have done 157 returns this year.

Send me a PM and I will give you info about who I get computers from, and what you need.

I am having the same issue with the 10 digit phone number error. I don't have a phone number entered. The client has a refund, not a balance due. My guess is that this is being caused because last year the client had a balance due. Last year he sent a paper check i.e. no phone number had to be added. I have had this happen to a couple of returns this season.

Rich

I have found that some times I will get an error about the telephone number

When I go to that field it has ( ) in there for the area code.

when I take out the ( ) and leave it blank--- it is happy

This tends to happen on returns that have been rolled over for many years. It used to have the ( ) there for the area code

looks like the new ones don't. Apparently it gets confused

I will qualify with saying that some states require a telephone number

and for direct debit it does

I've had this on a few returns. When I deleted any "x" that appears where the choice is made of which number to show AND delete the "( )" on all the phone # input areas, the error message disappears. I didn't even connect any of these errors to whether or not a refund existed or direct deposit is requested with a particular return.