ATX Community

Single residential address refunds

OldJack

More than 700 tax returns were filed in 2010 from a single residential address in Belle Glade, Fla. The IRS reportedly issued over a million dollars in refunds to the Belle Glade address that year.

Either one particular home in South Florida is really, really crowded, or there's something shady going on.

In 2010, 741 tax returns were filed to the federal government from a single address in Belle Glade, Fla., the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports. In response, the Internal Revenue Service issued over $1 million in combined tax refunds to that address, which is, y'know, embarrassing.

Most or all of those returns were probably filed by identity thieves, and the Belle Glade case isn't even the worst of it, according to a report issued last month by the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration. That report notes that in addition to the Belle Glade home, there was an address in Tampa that sent in 518 tax returns and got back almost $1.8 million in refunds, and an address in Lansing, Mich., sent in 2,137 tax returns and got more than $3.3 million back. The returns from these addresses all bore the hallmarks of identity theft, according to TIGTA.

>>look for duplications of an address<<

We all want the IRS to process our refund immediately, and check the return later. But we want the IRS to check everybody else's returns before issuing refunds. Imagine if you were the IRS Commisioner--do you think making taxpayers wait six to twelve weeks would increase or decrease compliance?

MY office might be the next one on this list. My partner uses our address for most of the business entities we do as well as many high net worth individuals that have multiple homes. His logic is this way we are sure to get the notices timely. I guess we have 300 returns from this address.

....which may be why there is no real effective address matching program.

>>which may be why<<

They could get around that problem by first matching return address to PTIN or preparer address. Beyond that, the database does already exist. It's big but they could cut through it pretty quick with zip codes. Then what--let the first one go through, or the first five? There are plenty of legitimate multiples, like nursing homes and shelters and communes and general delivery.

<<<There are plenty of legitimate multiples, like nursing homes and shelters and communes and general delivery.>>>

Ok, granted there are many situations where addresses are the same. If the threshold is set at 100, there would have been some review of those and, if the reviewers are savvy enough, the problems could have been spotted, and fraudulent payments stopped.

I doubt that 741 people living at the same address without apartment numbers, room numbers etc, would exist.

If the IRS WANTED TO address this, they could hire more competent programmers and this could be sorted by so many different factors in the seconds or minutes it would take the computer to do the comparison. I have a son who is a programming engineer, and he informed me that cross checking many databases for duplicates and then comparing duplicates for other parameters to look for fraud is NOT difficult programming. So processing a given return is slowed by 2-3 minutes for this process before being cleared, or set aside for further review is not "extensive delay" if the programming and supporting programs are competent and of the right quality.

• Like 1

If it could be handled by software, the IRS would most likely have done it by now. But the problem is the IRS does not have the matching information until July or August., so even if they were to flag the multiple addresses, they would have no way of knowing if the W-2's submitted with the tax returns were legitimate or not until the matching information from the employer's W-2's comes in.

>>If the IRS WANTED TO address this,,,<<

Why would they want that? They need to keep us all twisted up about bureaucratic inefficiency so we can't follow what's really going on. They used to keep us hating single moms with EIC, but we're starting to see our own friends and family there. So now it's zombie-apocalypse soul-snatching identity thieves.

A lot of these fraudulent returns come from prisons. Well, guess what!. Belle Glades, FL is home to a correctional facility.

Seems to me that the IRS could flag all the prison addresses and hold those returns until verified. After all, those folks aren't going anywhere in a hurry.

Seems to me that the IRS could flag all the prison addresses and hold those returns until verified. After all, those folks aren't going anywhere in a hurry.

Your wish may have already been granted. The Korean Free Trade Act (S 1642) requires all prisons to report the names and SSNs of inmates serving sentances of one year or more to the IRS. This will save $122 million over ten years.

In fact, the IRS could do a lot of things, if they had the manpower and budget to support them and they were a priority. Obviously they DO have the software to detect and enumerate multiple returns sent to the same address, otherwise we wouldn't know about the specific problems identified in the news release.

Ultimately, the IRS does what congress and the executive branch tell it to do. For the new few years they have additional funding to hire more employees to enact the procedures required by the Affordible Health Care Law. I wouldn't count on too many extra projects being added to their plate except for the usual changes required by political year-end tinkering with the law, and specific problems of over-riding national interest (like taxing of Olympic medals,)

>>This will save $122 million over ten years.<<

Sure, big savings--let's see, that's 12 million per year, less than $250K per state. How much will it cost to add the new administrative procedure? A total waste, because the government ALREADY has the information over at Social Security and SEPARATELY at Justice .Department. But I guess some data processing company made a campaign contribution so there's a little earmark in a foreign trade bill.

Well, with there being something in the range of 10,000 large prisons in the US, it would be possible to electronically flag returns claiming refunds at those addresses for additional review. Might it be worth $12 million a year in savings to take this extra step?

Nah, probably more trouble than it's worth...

http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/irs-employees-discouraged-identifying-fraudulent-itin-applications-tigta-63588-1.html?ET=webcpa:e5941:61496a:&st=email&utm_source=editorial&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WebCPA_Daily_080912

Note that the real problem here is that some in the IRS MANAGEMENT LEVEL were [are?] actually discouraging those honest employees who were trying to actually do their job and stop fraud. And of course, the IRS response mentions not a single word about even reprimanding those supervisors, much less firing any of them.

We are talking about BILLIONS here, folks, not mere millions. And for those who cal it 'stimulus', keep in mind that we are talking here just of the ITIN fraud, which means that much of those billions will be going to Mexico's economy rather than ours.

>>the difference between a billion and a million<<

A billion is a thousand times bigger than a million. Since the US. population is 300 million, a million tax dollars is less than a penny per person. A billion tax dollars is three bucks each.

Now, a trillion is a thousand times a billion. So saving three bucks each would only reduce the federal budget deficit by 1/10 of one percent (assuming they don't just spend it on something else). That's why all this is just political scare tactics with little genuine fiscal impact.

I live in a big building and my address is something like, 4302 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Apartment A343C. If I want to receive a bunch of refunds at this address, I could use:

4302 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Apartment A343C

4302 Mass Avenue, NW, Apartment A343C

4302 Massachusetts Ave, NW, Apartment A343C

4302 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Apartment A343C

4302 Massachusetts Avenue NW Apartment A343C

4302 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Apt A343C

4302 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Apt. A343C

4302 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Apartment 343C

4302 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, # 343C

4302 Massachusetts Avenue NW, # 343C

4302 Massachusetts Ave NW, Apartment A343C

4302 Massachusetts Ave NW Apartment A343C

4302 Massachusetts Ave NW Apt A343C

4302 Massachusetts Ave NW Apt. A343C

And many, many more addresses. For a computer, each address above (and the many more that I haven't written down) is unique. So, a computer program will have a lot of difficulties identifying the fact that these addresses are the same. Now, they will have to audit all my skyscaper neighbors if they want to audit all the address that start with:

4302 Massachusetts Avenue

4302 Massachusetts Ave.

4302 Massachusetts Ave

4302 Mass Avenue

4302 Mass Ave.

4302 Mass Ave

This question is for the mathematicians on this board, how many unique address will I generate with variables I have used on the example and the ones below?

I could also use Unit A343C, Unit 343C, Suite A343C, Suite A343, Apartment A343C, Apartment A343, Apt A343C, Apt A343, Apt. A343C, Apt. A343C, Apt #A343, Apt # A343C, Apartment # A343C, Apartment # A343

This is without counting that I could spell Massachusetts as Masachusetts, Massachussets, Massachusetts, Massachussetts, Mass, etc.

The Post Office already has this figured out as well as being able to optically scan hand written addresses as well. Even sloppy almost illegible writing. Computers can easily be programmed to spot those as same addresses.

Your Microsoft word program scans the entire dictionary every time you type a word, and it does it in the time it takes you to push the space bar.

Nice try, but those would be child's play for todays computers and programs. Just look at the Post Office....

• Like 1