ATX Community

Microsoft office 2007 3 user pack - best prices?

BulldogTom

I am replacing my 6 year old computers for this year (what great machines they were, but the laptop gave out and the two desktops are making funny noises). Got one desktop and one laptop so far. Looking forward to the improved performance of ATX with more horsepower pushing it.

But I need to get Microsoft office for my computers. Anyone know where I can get a deal on Office pro 2007 or 2010? Need the 3 user pack. Looking on the internet is making my eyes go crossed. You guys always know where there is a good deal.

Tom

Hollister, CA

My plan with my new computer (waiting for me to configure it) is to go with Open Office. Free (that's a _real_ nice price). Can open all Office programs, plus can save to Office formats (or be converted to those with free or cheap programs). No Outlook but I don't/won't use that.

Say good bye to the easiness of using excel, you are going to find it very difficult to sum up totals, create columns, etc.... almost made me want to cry when I couldn't perform those simple tasks.

http://www.techsoup....re/page4765.cfm

According to this comparison, you can do with Calc the same things you do with Excel?

Yes, but just imagine you are using Lotus123 from back in the day, someone here on the forum should give it a try and let other know how it works. My experience with Calc was terrible, I couldn't perform a sum, sort, add a decimal point and I am talking about simple stuff, so the next time I visited my client I took my laptop and used excel. Client eventually bought office.

Hey, I understand. Remember, I resisted switching from the DOS version of my tax software until they actually stopped offering it! And it is logical that unless the purchased program was better in some significant ways, they could not sell it. My guess is that Open Office is adequate for people who just want a program to write letters and receipts on, basically. Just as a Netbook may be fine if all you use it for is email, but it does not have the power or the capacity to handle real work that needs computational power or a lot of storage. Lots of people who own Office never even open the Excel portion, but those of us who need that capability do not want to give up any of the functionality of Excel, once we learned to use it. I used Lotus 123 for a long time, it was a good tool, but Excel is a better one. And when you are using any tool professionally, using the best you can afford will always pay off in the long run. Time, after all, is the asset in shortest supply during tax season, and good tools save you time.

I was a Quattro user for a long time. (IIFC, Quattro was originally a Borland product that was later bought out by Word Perfect). I had developed several dozen macros and scripts to automate calculations and conversions within my financial analysis packages.

When I finally converted to Excel, all of my Quattro spreadsheets would load and function correctly, except that none of my macros worked anymore. As I began the laborious task of re-writing the macros, I was delighted to find out that Excel had built-in functions that achived most of what I had to write macros for in Quattro.

Stopped by staples today to look for an adapter for my network cables and looked at the price of office. $489. I saved a fortune. Thanks MAS.

I remember the days of Quatro, of dot matrix printers with green bar paper. I used to do grower crop accounting for a big farmer in Fresno. We would tape the pages together and lay them out on the conference table to review them. Incredible how far we have come in such a short time. My first computer cost me $2800 and had a 4 Gig hard drive. I just bought a laptop for $600 that has 8 Gigs of RAM.

Tom

Hollister, CA

My first computer had NO hard drive, but it did have TWO floppy drives so I didn't have to swap out the program disk for the data disk and back and forth! I do miss DOS, though; as you could cut right to the command you wanted, see all your directories and files easily, and not lose something in layers of menus.

• Like 1