ATX Community

Continuing Education

Chowdahead

I get most of mine from my local NY/CT-ATP group with 14 more credits (plus CT and NY updates that don't count for my EA) coming from this weekend's seminar. I also got a bunch at CCH's User Conference. I use free IRS webinars as well as a package from Tax Talk Today. I used to use our local NAEA chapter CtSEA's education, but it's a bit farther away than NY/CT-ATP. I also belong to NATP; between them and NAEA I could get what I need online and from reading their publications and taking the tests.

I use Tax Insight which is Wisconsin based and have used them for many years. This is a two day seminar with a variety of accomplished speakers and teachers. I have never come away from any of their classes feeling that I haven't learned "something" even though much of the subject matter doesn't necessarily pertain to my practise. After completing the class early this month, I had my CE Certificate by E-mail the very next day.

I have used several different sources for CPE in the last few years. Purdue University Tax School, IU Tax practitioner institute, IN NATP chapter conference, NATP self-study, IRS tax forum, TaxTalk, various free IRS webinars, and the TaxBook self-study. My favorite source of CPE is the IU tax practitioner institute (Choose the French Lick location!!) or the NATP chapter conference and my least fave was the IRS tax forum (although the expo was good - the speakers sucked - zzzzz!!).

Why am I only seeing tyhat it costs $27.95? Is this the entire 15 hours or the cost per course?

You are correct - only $27.95 for the entire 15 hrs.

I completed mine from the comfort of my computer.

(Some people found a deep discount somewhere and only paid $15.00, but I didn't have time to scout that out.)

NSTP 1040 update. Two days, 8 hours each day. Learn every year, 16 CPE including 2 Ethics. One stop shop. Our Professional Tax Preparer organization sponsors it every year. Usually 50-60 in attendance.

Cost for members - - $225 and that includes 2 delicious lunches.

For some of us, like Jack and I, it isn't just about getting the credits. The interaction with other preparers as well as live teachers means a lot. I will continue with the two day live seminar in the future because I actually learn something and, as Jack says, two delicious meals. We had over 300 in attendance.

• Like 2

I prefer live seminars too. I get a bit from CSTC, both dinner meetings, a full day update class and the Summer Symposium, plus ASWA meetings, and webinars on subjects as I find I need to study the topic. For example, I've done quite a few webinars on same-sex couple tax, FATCA, filing Form 5471, etc. I did go to the CCH Small Firms Conference this year, and also went to the ASTPS Tax Resolution Boot Camp and found both very good.

Some years I can afford to do more than others, but for me, live classes beat all other CPE.

• Like 1

If you only want to "buy" CPE, $15-$30 options are available.

I continue to work regularly to improve my knowledge. That is the reason that between now and Jan 15, I will attend 64+ hours of seminars and classes. I have been doing this for the past 8 years. "Needing" the CPE credits is just an additional thing to stay in compliance.

I have been "earning" over 40 CPE credits each year for many years. Continuing Professional Education Credits.

I guess it depends on your objectives.

I prefer the live updates as well. I usually attend meetings of our local chapter of EA's, at which I sometimes teach the topic we are reviewing. For me, having to prepare to teach about something is the best way to learn about it. I also have attended the VIrginia Society of Enrolled Agent's conferences, the Virginia NATP chapter's meetings, IRS tax forums, NCPE's seminars on Individual, Non-Profit and Corporate/Partnership, Thomson's seminars,etc. Some speakers are better presenters than others, but most are knowledgeable about the subject they are discussing. And quite often they are willing to answer questions that might come up after the seminar and will provide contact information for that purpose. Plus many times IRS or Va. Department of Taxation employees participate in these educational forums, and I have the opportunity to network with people whose assistance I might one day need. Plus it is fun to get out of the office and associate with other professionals to exchange ideas or just gripe about the ins and outs of the tax business.

• Like 1

The speakers (teachers) we have always had at Tax Insight are from both the Federal and WI. The will take a certain number of questions during the lesson; which is a real learning experience. Then, as Gail says, they provide contact numbers and websites to further enable questions and research. They are extremely knowledgeable, polite and never condescending. With groups as large as ours, there are preparers from all stages of accomplishment and credential. However, in that room, everyone is equal. Nice!!!

• Like 1

I have used CPEdepot.com in the past but this year I switched to a bundled package with Checkpoint learning Thomson Reuters. I am finding that I really enjoy the live webinars..

INCLUDES

:

• CPE Tracking & Monitoring
  • Over 200 Standard Online Courses
  • Over 40 Ethics Courses
  • Enhanced Online Courses with Multimedia
  • Unlimited Online Grading for PPC Self-Study
  • Unlimited 1-4 Hour Webinars
  • Up to 24 CPE Hours of Discounts on Public Seminars & Conferences

https://checkpointlearning.thomsonreuters.com/Bundle/Index

You are correct - only $27.95 for the entire 15 hrs.

I completed mine from the comfort of my computer.

(Some people found a deep discount somewhere and only paid $15.00, but I didn't have time to scout that out.)

For what it's worth, I simply mentioned that "someone" received a discount, and was given the $15.00 price.

Jim

I believe CPE is what you make of it. I have been to live seminars where some of those attending were engaged in activities such as reading the newspaper, sleeping and working on crossword puzzles.

I have been using an online package from Surgent MCcoy to earn my cpe credits. They have a wide range of tropics and I try to choose courses that I will benefit from. I will admit that on occasion I have downloaded the most basic course available in the final hours of the renewal period.

In order to keep up to date on tax law changes, I rely on the daily updates from Checkpoint via e-mail.

Ed, thanks for pointing out the Checkpoint CPE bundle. I am going to try the Premier Package.