ATX Community

Am I missing Something?

Tax Prep by Deb

:scratch_head:Just loaded my new ATX Program, all went well. I have been trying however to set up a password so that when I open the program I have to log on. I'm a one person shop, so I went with admin for the user name (as I couldn't change it), set a password, closed out of the program, opened the program and it didn't have me log on. Am I doing something wrong?

Deb!

I haven't loaded my 2012 ATX yet. But in the past, my current year ATX doesn't have a user or password prompt, but my prior years seem to prompt me for a user name (not a password). And I don't remember ever establishing this for any year. It's strange. It sort of just happens when I load the new year's app. I'll see if my 2011 ATX does it when I load my 2012.

It's not just you. The program is slower than in past. My return that I rolled over showed up immediately. As to my password problem, I'm a one person shop and will be using the admin user name but when I assign it a password it doesn't take. I can open the program and see everything without having to log in. I prefer a password just in case, as a security measure, but what good does it do to set up user's and passwords if anyone can log on under admin? With no password.

Deb!

My roll over problem may be due to network version. I will investigate later. My other preparer also notice he did not have to log in. We shall see as we get closer to more updates and such. One thing he noticed that it rolled with a 1040 for 2011 not 2012.ATX said form not avaiable at time of release.

I think rollover being slow is the fact that they have it using formats for last year's forms. In addition, the new program has an entirely NEW "engine." The basic program is different, so rolling over involves more steps than in the past.

I am going to the seminar on Saturday, Dec.8 in Kennesaw, and you can be sure it will be discussed, either in the seminar or in the "time out room" somewhere.

I should be able to log in here on Saturday, so anyone that wants to be here and ask things, I will attempt to pass the questions and answers on in real time.

Thanks Jack. Anything we can learn now gives us a head start. One thing I noticed is that the payroll program did not import in. May be in my settings. I will check this futher. Ask them if there is a way to time check a return. In other words how long a return was worked on or open? Also on billing options can we add a worksheet that ATX doesn't pickup in billing options. I know I can add it. I noticed that in turbo tax they give a real good worksheet for determining deduction for Long term care deduction in state where allowed. Virginia for instance. Just some food for thought.

Thanks Jack. Anything we can learn now gives us a head start. One thing I noticed is that the payroll program did not import in. May be in my settings. I will check this futher. Ask them if there is a way to time check a return. In other words how long a return was worked on or open? Also on billing options can we add a worksheet that ATX doesn't pickup in billing options. I know I can add it. I noticed that in turbo tax they give a real good worksheet for determining deduction for Long term care deduction in state where allowed. Virginia for instance. Just some food for thought.

In return manager, there is a column showing date created, and another colomn showing last modified date.

I have not checked on the VA return to see if it pulls the information form Sch. A for long term care insurance.

I am still in process of installing the payroll program as well.

I will post any discoveries I make.

Jack, one thing I want to know is about the engagement letter. They put out an email that it's available in the 2012 program - I can access it but only in 'Edit' mode, and not in preview. And I haven't been able to print it, unless I export it to my documents as an .rtf document and print from there.

Thanks,

Lynn Jacobs, EA

kenner, LA

Jack, one thing I want to know is about the engagement letter. They put out an email that it's available in the 2012 program - I can access it but only in 'Edit' mode, and not in preview. And I haven't been able to print it, unless I export it to my documents as an .rtf document and print from there.

Thanks,

Lynn Jacobs, EA

kenner, LA

Lynn,

There is a little box on top left corner that need to be clicked for Review/Edit.

I'm concerned about not being able to password protect the program as well. I'm also a one person shop, and having my tax programs, and not just the returns themselves, password protected is important. I don't want just anyone to be able to come up into my office if my computer is on, to be able to open the program.

Jack, if you could please ask about this.

With the engagement letter open, I'm looking for that box 'review/edit' with the engagement letter open and don't see that 'review/edit' box. I see the toggle switch for 'edit' vs 'preview' and the only LIVE option is 'edit'. When I click on 'view' the only option is 'edit'. Nothing happens when I try to change to 'preview' in the view box. I've updated the program daily since downloading.

With the engagement letter open, I'm looking for that box 'review/edit' with the engagement letter open and don't see that 'review/edit' box. I see the toggle switch for 'edit' vs 'preview' and the only LIVE option is 'edit'. When I click on 'view' the only option is 'edit'. Nothing happens when I try to change to 'preview' in the view box. I've updated the program daily since downloading.

Lynn,

I just updated the program (Just to make sure).. When I am in edit mode I am able to switch to preview either by selecting from View at the top or toggle between Preview/Edit.

To print you will need to attach the Engagement letter to the current return and than print it.

I'm concerned about not being able to password protect the program as well. I'm also a one person shop, and having my tax programs, and not just the returns themselves, password protected is important. I don't want just anyone to be able to come up into my office if my computer is on, to be able to open the program.

Jack, if you could please ask about this.

Ok. Looks like I have figured it out. I just tried and it is working.

Open with Admin and click on Tools / security Manager. In the Popup box open double click on Administrator. Another pop up bix (Modify User) enter PW in Password. Close the program and open it again. Admin will not open without the password.

Devesh Mehta, EA

New Jersey

I tried that repeatedly but I can not get the password to hold. I finally set myself up as a user and I have to sign in but admin still doesn't require a password.

Deb

Ok. Looks like I have figured it out. I just tried and it is working.

Open with Admin and click on Tools / security Manager. In the Popup box open double click on Administrator. Another pop up bix (Modify User) enter PW in Password. Close the program and open it again. Admin will not open without the password.

Devesh Mehta, EA

New Jersey