ATX Community

Installed Forms that will not open...my experience on fixing VALUABLE

FLORIDA TAX MAN

After Tax Man 60601 gave me the secret on how to unhide my hidden files on my XP SP3 computer, I tried the following AND hoped it would not screw up ATX2012 anymore than it is. I was prepared to uninstall ATX2012, reinstall original cd, update to 12.5 and update ALL those forms again...that's how desperate I've become. I AM NOT A COMPUTER GEEK and MAKE NO WARRANTIES TO YOU. YOU ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK

I could not open Schedules A & EIC, Forms 2106,2106EZ & 8812. I decided to try and find my computers library of forms, delete the bad or corrupted forms, and then run the update process. To backup what I was going to do, I created a folder on my deskstop labeled "Screwed up ATX". Within that box I created 5 new folders labeled "Original", "Latest" "Patch 1" "Patch 2" and "Patch 8".

Sizing down and putting this desktop folder to the right side, I drilled down to the ATX file folders (on the left half of my desktop) that corresponded to my 5 folders, went into each folder, found ATX's corrupted files and moved them to my "Screwed up ATX' desktop folder by dragging them across the desktop. This removed them from the ATX library (and changed the status of the form from "installed" to "available now") Running update caused ATX to reinstall them and they opened.

Drilling down procedure: clicked on a series of folders: My computer, then C: drive, then documents & settings, then all users, then APPLICATION DATA (if you don't see this one, you will have to unhide your files--see Tax Man 60601 posting), then CCH Small firm services, then ATX2012, then Assets, then 2012, then Masters.....

Within the Masters folder are three folders " original", "latest". "patches".

Within Patches are more folders P1 contains Schedule A and EIC. P2 had "2000" forms like 2106, 2106EZ, P8 has the 8000 series i.e. Form 8812.

In the original folder I found one file for Schedule A (1040_A.2012.1.53.SFSFMZ)......in the LATEST folder I found 2 files for Schedule A ---a 1.54 revision and a 1.55 revision. In the Patches 1 folder I found one file for Schedule A.......Making sure I removed ALL Schedule A files.

The other forms had similar treatment....the LATEST Folder may contain a few files relating to your form.

After the update, All these files were back in the respective ATX folders and the forms opened.

Then I deleted the corrupt versions that were sitting in MY "screwed up Atx' desktop file.

I hope this helps someone out there.

Note: I did repeat this procedure on Form 8812 twice as the update still did not open after the first try.

• Like 1

WIN 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files Show hidden files

Here's how to display hidden files and folders.

1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab.

3. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

To learn more about hidden files, see What is a hidden file?

Thanks for the hints. North Idaho Rich, when I follow what you wrote, my screen does not have a Tools option. XP was like that, I think, but not Win 7 Pro. Lloyd Hudson, I tried your steps, too, and the link but my Control Panel has only a Personalization choice, not an Appearance and Personalization. I tried the Personalization choice but it shows only Desktop Background, Window Color, Sounds and Screen Saver. Time to call my computer geek.

Thanks!

Update: Just for kicks I typed into the search box, Hidden files and VOILA! up popped a window called Folder Options and show hidden files and folders was already checked. I guess my machine maker did that already. Back at Control Panel I found the icon for Folder Options - just not smart enough to make the connection before.

Thanks again.

I tried this fix and it didn't work for me on XP. I have tried all of the fixes and nothing has worked so far. So I exported the returns I have done so far to a thumb drive and deleted ATX. I am now reinstalling and will suffer through the downloads. If this finally gives me my desperately needed sch eic, it will be worth it.

ARGGGG! Now what? I uninstalled the program and reinstalled from the download center. And the updates. Now I can't open any returns. So I uninstalled again, searched my computer and found another folder which contained some ATX2012 stuff and deleted that. I will now install from the CD and see what happens. Has anyone had any luck with doing this?

I am having serious problems on my XP machine but not on my Windows 7 machine. Just found info in the kb about anti-virus interference. Here are the pages; perhaps something will help you:

http://cchsfs-atx.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13994/kw/13994

http://cchsfs-atx.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13919

http://cchsfs-atx.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13867/related/1

http://cchsfs-atx.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13778/related/1

• Like 1

OK most of my forms opened, only certain ones did not. I reasoned that some were corrupted in the download. My computer is slow in updating because I don't have the recommended internet connections and was read the riot act over this issue by ATX tech via a customer service person.

So I needed a surgical method not a shotgun method. Some posts have said that ATX recommended deleting the whole ASSETS folder which would take with it and subfolders like the MASTERS folder. If the MASTERS folder is deleted gone would be it's subfolders like ORIGINAL, LATEST and PATCHES. This shotgun approach might work but obviously you will need to Upload/Update the whole library of forms not just one or two forms.

Not only would this take time on my computer, it might also corrupt forms that were already working like form 1040 or schedule B.

If you have a fast internet connection , you might try the shotgun approach.

When I asked some people where are the ATX forms in XP they told me the Drill down route in the first post of this thread. AS I said paragraph 4, If you don't see the APPLICATION DATA file folder, then your computer is set to hide certain files.

Why ATX made these files "hidden" is beyond me. TAX MAN 60601 told me a procedure on another post on here with I repeated paraphrasing my own words to un-hide your XP computer files. Its the second post on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Florida Tax Man:

On the MYATX Community they have a similar process for fixing what you are fixing.

You go in and try to replace various individual forms.

They propose that you delete and reload ALL the forms. You just delete the entire "Assets" folder that you describe.

Then you restart ATX program and update and reload all the forms.

Detail here:

FIX: Can open program, but not any returns
Posted by Go200mph:

Just got off the phone with ATX and this is what Tech guy showed me. I am on a stand alone laptop, Windows 7, 1.66 ghz, 3 gigs ram. Could open program but not any returns. Files in the Asset folder are being corrupted. Here's the fix.
1. Right click Windows Start button
2. Click on C: Drive
3. Click on Program Data Folder-(this could be a hidden file and if so click on Organize header on Tab Row, click on Folder and Search options, Click on View Tab, under Advanced Settings you will see a line that reads Show Hidden Files, Folders, or drives. Make sure that is highlighted. Click Apply and then OK)Then hit Program Data Folder.
4.Click CCH Small Firm Services Folder
5. Click ATX 2012
6. Click Assets
7. Click 2012, once highlighted, Delete Folder
It is resident folder for all forms and Instructions, so deleting it will seem like you are losing a bunch of info. No Client data is in this folder, so don't worry.

Since all forms and Instructions are deleted, you must then go to Return Manager tab, go to Updates, click on Adjust Form Update setting, choose all federal forms but only the state you need now.(this will shorten time of update).
This has allowed me to open Existing and New returns. Still takes about 2 minutes to open return but I can now do returns, Hallelujah.
He also said if future problems opening returns means that files again got corrupted so do the above process and it should allow you to work.
They are working on solving problem now.
------------
Posted by WDMoss: This worked earlier in the week for me, too.

I am running Windows XP, so the address string to get to the Assets folder is a little different, but I have had no crash/won't open problems since.
-----------
NOTE: I posted earlier in this topic telling how to make hidden files visible

• 1 month later...