ATX Community

12.6 update released

rfassett

OMG!!! Did the download from the support site - - ran the exe file - - -did a HARD REBOOT - - - -opened up ATX - - - GUESS WHAT???????

Did a rollover - - attempted to open - - - -yep - -RIGHT BACK TO FREEKIN SQUARE ONE - - -ROLLOVER NOT POSSIBLE ERROR!!!!!

but - -THE good news - -i HAVE NOONE SCHEDULED TODAY - - -thought I would play catch up and get ahead.

ANY - - - ANY - - - -ANY suggestions?

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Just got off Taxwise TV and they mentioned ATX 12.7 is on its way I think tomorrow and day after to take care of some slow printing issues and some state e-file rejects. I think Stephanie said the blogs will be updated this PM.

OMG!!! Did the download from the support site - - ran the exe file - - -did a HARD REBOOT - - - -opened up ATX - - - GUESS WHAT???????

Did a rollover - - attempted to open - - - -yep - -RIGHT BACK TO FREEKIN SQUARE ONE - - -ROLLOVER NOT POSSIBLE ERROR!!!!!

but - -THE good news - -i HAVE NOONE SCHEDULED TODAY - - -thought I would play catch up and get ahead.

ANY - - - ANY - - - -ANY suggestions

Terry - is this the message you get? "The return cannot be opened due to an issue with the roller service. Please try restarting this year's program then re-open the return." If so, I have been getting that error on every return, before and after the update. There is a work around that has beeen working for me. Takes about 3 seconds but has to be done for each return. I have no problem if this NEVER gets fixed for me. There are bigger issues that need to be dealt with. BTW, I printed a 28 page return after the update and it took exactly one minute - printing it to pdf and then printing it to the printer. Marked improvement. Same return before the update would have taken 4 to 5 minutes. Back to work. I just opened a 1041. Woohoo!

Mine kept crashing during the update process too so I closed the program and went to the ATX Support site and downloaded the update from there. Once I loaded the update the program opened very quickly. I haven't tried opening a return, yet, but instead told the program to do an update - and it downloaded 57 more forms. Now that the forms download is complete I'm in the process of opening my mother's tax return. She or more younger son as usually my test returns. So far, so good. I even figured out how to add the fricking letter and to go into letter options to tell it that the return will be e-filed. The separate privacy notice is still MIA so I have printed several from the prior year's program and made copies to insert into my client's copy of the return. I am keeping my fingers crossed the rest of the day progresses nicely.

I can't rollover any one that has any meat to their return. I can rollover simple W2 clients, which I have about 10 of. Not exactly paying for the software yet, but keeping the lights on. I never thought that by this date we would still be dealing with such mickey mouse problems as rolling over a return. this is very frustrating.

I can't rollover any one that has any meat to their return. I can rollover simple W2 clients, which I have about 10 of. Not exactly paying for the software yet, but keeping the lights on. I never thought that by this date we would still be dealing with such mickey mouse problems as rolling over a return. this is very frustrating.

Did you update from within the program or from the support site?

This is from the ATX Blog:

Tuesday, February 5, 2013
Updating to 12.6 in a Network Environment
Scenario: You are on a network and you downloaded the 12.6 update via the Updates button inside the application.

Symptom: You see the following behavior:

• The program crashes after the update appears to have applied
  • When you go to Support>About you are still at version 12.5
Solution: Download and run the 12.6 update from the Solution Center by doing the following:
  • Go to the Solution Center: Solution Center
  • Select the Download Center link
  • Login with your client ID, Username and password
  • Select ATX 2012 Updates (left panel)
  • Save the ATX 12.6 update to your server
  • Run the update 12.6 update on your server
  • Open and close the ATX 2012 application on your workstations so they utilize the 12.6 update.
Reason: 12.5 contains a situation that is not allowing the update from within the program to apply. This is fixed in 12.6 on a "go forward" basis, but for 12.6 you will have to manually download and apply the update.

That's the way I did it this morning at about 8am. Update crashes otherwise. Again - very little improvement over 12.5. Even after disabling all anti virus thinking that was the problem. Rollovers take 5-7 minutes; creating E-files takes 2-3 minutes. Just clicking the state box to include in efile is "delayed." I click the box and about 15 seconds later the check mark appears. Delays and crashes make it almost impossible to prepare returns in front of clients. My "network" module is pretty much useless. All my other preparers either get stuck on the splash screen or the program freezes then crashes. I've already made arrangements with another software provider but CCH still needs to answer for what it's done to so may tax professionals this season.

After updating I opened one test return. With the program open and that one fairly simple return with minimum entries, my memory usage started in the mid 20s % wise and gradually ticked up to about 66%.

I closed the test return, checked acks only to test a function (wasn't expecting any). Tried to close the program with the red "X" in the upper right corner and it won't close now. Title bar remains and the rest of the screen is black. I had the task manager running on top and had to use it to shut down the application. Physical memory used barely decreased even though the program is no longer running.

What, am I supposed to reboot after looking at one return now?

Some remember years ago when CCH promised the world in an internet product, in November that year they were giving us 100% assurance they had a 100% ready to deploy internet product. Several I know and I bit off and lost out big. It was not just inaccurate info, it was a SCAM. Complete lie, we find out later what they were showing as a "live demo" was really a video. There was no product, no hope of a product, and the programming department KNEW it was never going to work as promised.

After a meeting in Orlando (December 2012) trip I flew to CCH corporate offices in Atlanta with staff for training, it has now been shown that was as much a dog and pony show a the last time I was in their corporate office.
Its not Taxwise, its not ATX, it's CCH. My tech guy is a programmer, writes software for all the industrial plants around here, owns a program writing company, etc, etc, etc. He dug deep into the software code and found they never beta tested the software in a server environment (Server 2008 or 2012). Gross negligence, massive sections of code missing. When you beta test software it leaves a trail in the program itself used to trouble shoot code. And it is why it is working on a Windows XP machine in other office acting like a server, but will not work in my main office. Its the permissions needed in a server environment causing files to lock up with only one user in the program.
ATX was written around forms and access data bases, if you can use access on a server, you should be able to use ATX on a server. But this re-write is way different. When I question CCH on this they said "we were hoping to roll that out in a later update". Well, today's update still does not work. CCH simply does not devote the resources necessary to beta test their own software. Been this way for years. They cut their own programming department really deep.

Obviously I am pissed off. And I am up, working, and turning out returns on Drake today. Drake has been very strong, Warren Drake helped me get the conversion package to work on a Saturday, while he was at home messing with his dogs (I could hear them in the background). Drake stepped up, so we are okay. I ordered Drake Friday night, and was turning out returns in 2 hours. AND It cost less than HALF what ATX does with my tax groups discount.
Hell will freeze before I buy another CCH product, and I been buying for 15 years and was quite satisfied January 1. I open two offices, and buy extra licenses so employees can use it when off site. I just purchased the write up package. I will get a refund on all if it from Discover.
Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent. Just sharing real life stories, we will live, and be stronger for it, but for folks using CCH anything, I would not be your friend if I sugarcoated it, and were the rolls reversed, I hope you would use as strong a tone. No need to spread misery.
On the plus side, several near retirement age tax pros in the area use ATX. None of them have the relationships we do, and the back up I got from a peer group. They are getting crushed. Looks like a silver lining might be in all this after all. I am in a mode to buy firms, those in a mode to sell them, well, they just took a giant hit to their personal asset list. Hate me for saying it, it just is what it is. This is the loss suffered when dealing with liars.
  • Like 1

OK - -I had to back into the Program files - -tried the rollover exe click - -nada - -however, if I click on the .config file - -open a return - -then to to Tax manager - -and kinda watch the progam chug away - -I can actually get the darn ting to work - - -S___L____O____L____Y.

WHY did I have to do this AGAIN??

Oh yeah - -make SURE you are not online at the time.

for the record - -Vista 86 - -stand alone -- still no response form tech support - -I was told 3 WEEKS ago they would get back to me.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

I was actually able to get into an 1120S that had no depreciable assets and get it done! I did not efile, as the client wishes to mail. Printed 3 Filing, Client and Preparer copies of the return, a total of 22 pages in all to print.........took 42 minutes. I am now trying to send the 8879 and the first 2 pages of the 1040 as a pdf to a client so they can fill out a FAFSA form; 3 pages to be saved to pdf has taken 8 minutes and counting. I'm not even going to bother to call ATX as I will be on hold forever. Fortunately my clients are ok with things moving slowly, but it feels so unprofessional to have clients sitting across from you while the program slowly revolves and tells you that it is Not Responding. A real confidence builder...

Does anyone who downloaded the 12.6 update file still have that file (atx2012.update.12.6.exe)? If so, could i get it from you? Please contact me. I have a way that makes it possible for me to get it from you. Thanks.

Bart, Do you not have access to the ATX support website? I do have the update saved to a thumb drive, but I'm curious why you don't just download it from the site.