ATX Community

Do you give free estimates?

Tax Prep by Deb

Every year I get that phone call from someone wanting to know if I give free estimates? They aren't asking me to estimate how much I charge for preparing taxes, noooooo! They want me to enter there W2's and give them an estimate of their refund. If they don't like my amount than they go somewhere else.

I've had a couple of calls already asking this and I guy just walked into my office and asked me if I could give him an estimate. In the past I may have been inclined a bit towards this but not now. I have been burned way to many times with clients asking that, taking their W2's with them and I never see them again.

What do you you guys and gals do?

Deb!

I don't get that from people who are not customers. What I do get is being asked what I charge, I inturn ask them some questions about their sources of income..... I just finished a guy that said he had a "little bit of interest" RIGHT. He had interest from 6 sources. And they always after geting a prices say something like, oh I have some energy credits, or I have .....

Then there are the people that come in and ask a million questions about this that and the other thing and take up an hour of my time.

I don't get that from people who are not customers. What I do get is being asked what I charge, I inturn ask them some questions about their sources of income..... I just finished a guy that said he had a "little bit of interest" RIGHT. He had interest from 6 sources. And they always after geting a prices say something like, oh I have some energy credits, or I have .....

Then there are the people that come in and ask a million questions about this that and the other thing and take up an hour of my time.

I don't really get that much either except from clients who will sometimes call and say, "I think my income is up/down by $x. How do you think this will affect me?" Most of my clients have been with me 15-20 years or more so in these cases I am familiar enough with their situations and have a good enough relationship with them that I am comfortable giving them an idea of what to expect.

I've led a pretty sheltered tax preparation life. Prior to the 2011 filing season I prepared taxes through a local attorney's office for 25 years. They did not allow me to advertise so any new business I got was from word of mouth and client referrals. However, now that I am out on my own, advertising for new clients, I am constantly getting calls wanting to know how much I charge. I always tell them that my fees are based on the complexity of their return. I will have them tell me what forms they ususally file or what sources of income/expenses they have and then I will try to quote a fee based on their answers. What I am finding out with most of these though is that when the rubber meets the road there is usually always more to the return than what I based my quote on. I guess I either just need to start tacking on a little padding to my fee quote or just stop quoting all together. It has been a real eye-opener. Having had an established client base, most of whom have been with me for as long as I have been preparing taxes and who I consider friends, it has been difficult to get used to being lied to and taken advantage of by a few less than honest taxpayers.

I have obtained several new clients who had VITA do their returns the prior year. Had a call this year from an 82 year old that did not make his RMD. His wife was very ill at the end of the year, and he overlooked it. The VITA preparer did not have any idea what to tell him to do. I told him to ask for a refund of the fees he paid. "It was free." Me - "Sounds like you got good value!"

VITA preparers are exempt from PTIN rules. Nuff said...

I have obtained several new clients who had VITA do their returns the prior year. Had a call this year from an 82 year old that did not make his RMD. His wife was very ill at the end of the year, and he overlooked it. The VITA preparer did not have any idea what to tell him to do. I told him to ask for a refund of the fees he paid. "It was free." Me - "Sounds like you got good value!"

VITA preparers are exempt from PTIN rules. Nuff said...

I had one of those last year where the preparer had put over $4000 of Mtg Interest onto the Interest Income line; so we were looking at an $8000 plus taxable error because these folks could have itemized. Also, Nuff said...