ATX Community

Don't upgrade your hardware

borsaid

I know everyone is having, at best, performance problems. I've seen a lot of comments about ATX blaming their customer's hardware, network, etc. Just felt everyone should know what we're running and we have abysmal performance and constant crashes. Don't waste your money by upgrading or replacing your computers.

2x Xeon E5606 Quad Core CPU (8 total cores) @ 2.13GHz

20GB RAM

4x 250GB 15K SAS in RAID10

I know most everyone here isn't in the IT field. . .but I am. . . so the translation of the above specs: REALLY FREAKING FAST

While running ATX standalone, it takes upwards of a minute to launch ATX. 1-5 minutes to open a return. 30 seconds to close a return.

The problem is not with you. . . the problem is with some of the worst software I've ever seen. Seems like ATX decided to use the early 90's engineering team from AOL.

• Like 2

I must be the luckiest ATX user ever. I just timed the program to open - 11 seconds; a very basic return - 4 seconds to open, 3 to close; a complex return (5 rentals, Sch. A,B,C, 8812,2441,8332, state and 2 locals - 22 seconds to open, 4 to close. Intel i5 and 8 GB ram and I don't even know what some of those other things mean. I have had no printing problems, just some annoyance at not having Adobe Pro for filing copies and lack of easy editing capability on letters.

What am I doing differently from so many others? Oh, yeah, living right :unsure:

• Like 2

I must be the luckiest ATX user ever. I just timed the program to open - 11 seconds; a very basic return - 4 seconds to open, 3 to close; a complex return (5 rentals, Sch. A,B,C, 8812,2441,8332, state and 2 locals - 22 seconds to open, 4 to close. Intel i5 and 8 GB ram and I don't even know what some of those other things mean. I have had no printing problems, just some annoyance at not having Adobe Pro for filing copies and lack of easy editing capability on letters.

What am I doing differently from so many others? Oh, yeah, living right :unsure:

Maybe you are living right, Margaret, but I think I must be as well. All of the complaints on speed and crashes and the like are baffling to me. I just have a standalone operation and would be considered a small volume operation.

Honestly, I have none of the noted problems. I am not a cheer leader but it seems like almost a virus with all the complaints. It goes from bad to worse.

Sorry, I will get back to work; I don't think that ATX had its best year but it definitely has picked up the pace.

No righteous indignation here.

• Like 2

I am so glad that I am not alone; I was beginning to feel a bit of paranoia but also boatloads of sympathy for so many users, long time board friends that don't deserve the troubles encountered. I do hope good things are in the near future. Mostly I hope this board remains no matter what software folks use. Y'all are my back office, my front office, my water cooler buddies, my consultants, and my friends.

• Like 4

I am so glad that I am not alone; I was beginning to feel a bit of paranoia but also boatloads of sympathy for so many users, long time board friends that don't deserve the troubles encountered. I do hope good things are in the near future. Mostly I hope this board remains no matter what software folks use. Y'all are my back office, my front office, my water cooler buddies, my consultants, and my friends.

Margaret, you make a great point with that post. This forum is more important to most of us than any software vendor's product. Thanks to Eric, it is most unique in that we aren't hostage to the whims of any vendor. Nobody can take down a post just because they don't like what's being said about their product. The glue that holds this forum together is the camraderie and the independence. I believe this year has proven the value of the independence more than ever.

The predictions for ATX's future are all over the place, but truthfully none of us knows what the future holds for the software. Who knows? - next year ATX might be humming along and there could be huge problems with other vendors' products. Most of us had ATX in common until this year (with a few exceptions), and that likely will be less so next year. But we still need an independent forum.

I haven't said much about this up to this point because I've tried to get out of the way while people worked out their immediate problems & got some work out the door. Since I'm no longer an ATX customer I can't be of any help in that area. But once things settle down, we should have a conversation about how to retain the broad appeal, keep people involved, and even bring others in. Maybe a slight change to the name of the forum or some other ideas will surface. (Assuming Eric is willing to continue doing the magnificent job he is doing). But thanks for bringing it up - we need to be thinking long term even while people are wrestling with the immediate problems.

• Like 2

I have been so patient with this years problems..I have a high volume office with over 1200 tax returns to prepare, and today I am fully down..I can not even open my program, it crashes every time..I can not do one return. This is the worst day yet..I am so far behind. My program has been steadily getting worse each day. On hold with Tech support now. Have to make some hard decisions and soon, if I want to remain in this business. Clients are counting on my firm. I have used ATX since 1994 and have never experienced anything like this. Just needed to get that all off my chest. Now on the the tough choices. Thanks for all your insight, it is comforting to stop by and read other comments from peers and know that I am not alone out here.

I'm having the memory drag issues and found a depreciation calc error, but so far so good. I didn't do the 12.9 upgrade, and wonder if I should, especially now that 12.10 is delayed until tomorrow. Some of the issues other people are having, especially on the official forum, are due to archaic computers. They don't even know their system specs, or post 1GB memory. Heck, I had a return consuming more than that last night-even after rebooting it was running at 785,000 MB. I've started closing damn near everything else while working in ATX; good thing I have my iPad to search the forums while printing.

Actually, Margaret, I have had minimal problems compared to the rest. Only two crashes the entire season; zero printing speed problems, and overall the program is working reasonably well with a few workarounds. I, too, have extreme sympathy for those who are having such severe issues; but it is such a bad year all around that the farther I go, the behinder I get.

• Like 1

I'm having the memory drag issues and found a depreciation calc error, but so far so good. I didn't do the 12.9 upgrade, and wonder if I should, especially now that 12.10 is delayed until tomorrow.

Some of the issues other people are having, especially on the official forum, are due to archaic computers. They don't even know their system specs, or post 1GB memory. Heck, I had a return consuming more than that last night-even after rebooting it was running at 785,000 MB. I've started closing damn near everything else while working in ATX; good thing I have my iPad to search the forums while printing.

Me too with the iPad and being very selective as to what programs are open on my desktop. Apparently, at least in my case, outlook and ATX are both memory hogs so I leave outlook closed so I can have my file cabinet opened on my second monitor. I know I have to upgrade hardware in the offseason, but I love my XP but it only has 2GB of RAM with no room for expansion.

I've got an i7 processor and 9GB RAM. But the program still slows to a crawl when printing if I leave it open too long. I'm still using print preview to check every return before I print, although I'm getting better with selecting the forms and clicking twice for preparer copy to make sure the SSNs aren't X'd out. Pain in the butt. It's another Rockstar evening. At least the appointment are done for the day.

One word is conspicuous on this topic for its absence: windows.

Does the windows version and edition one uses make any appreciable difference in ATX performance?

The ATX tech told me that they're liking Windows 7 but not Windows 8. I'm also finding certain accounting software producers who don't like Windows 8.

Windows 7--Home Premium?

Windows 7--Professional?

Windows 7--Ultimate?

Suggestions for better performance?

• 2 weeks later...