ATX Community

NT U.S Mail

ILLMAS

Just found this out yesterday, the U.S no longer will charge for delivery confirmation, it is now free and called tracking, for example if you send a package priority, the tracking is automatically added :)

This is good for those of us who occasionally send tax returns via mail.

MAS

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

I believe you could always track the package at the website free. Unless I am in a rush to use priority mail, I use good old first class mail for most of my tax return mailings. I believe the average postage is around $2.70. Priority mail is $5.20 2nd day delivery and in my neck of the woods first class mail get to its destination in 2 days, 3 days tops.

USPS does not provide "tracking" in the sense that we are used to seeing with UPS. Not all destinations scan and record, and not all carriers scan when delivered or picked up. I sell many items on e-Bay, and postal workers NOT SCANNING is a huge problem as e-Bay uses the USPS confirmation as proof of delivery.

USPS service has become dismall. To have 1/3 less items to deliver, and providing far less services than just 5 years ago, you would expect service to improve.

We had several Priority Mail packages take 5-7 days to be delivered from only 3 states away. One took 17 days from NM to OH and the Post Office could not even find it.

For dependable delivery with dependable confirmation, Fed Ex or UPS 2nd day. USPS has become a poor excuse of a business.

Most of the time I don't pay for priority either because, like Taxed, the local mail gets there the next day or the 2nd. I've even had first class mail get to FL from DE in 2 days.

But I can top Jack's story. I live in northwestern DE in a town right on the PA line. I sent a 10x13 envelope with tax documents to the next local town over from me in PA that is at most about 5 miles away. That first class envelope took 7 days to reach the recipient because it went to Philadelphia first. I could have walked there and back many times over. How's that for inefficiency?

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

I have used and still do use Priority Mail for many years without problems like delayed delivery or missing package. Granted the electronic tracking is not as robust as UPS or FedEx, but in my case it did showed the date and time it was delivered and that is all I care as proof of delivery. I really do not need all the enroute info though it is nice to have. Most of my mailings are to north east states.

I have used UPS and FedEx as well for packages under a pound but Priority mail is least expensive of the three. I suppose if you have a commercial account with some volume with FedEx and UPS you can get a better rate but I am not there yet.

Guest Taxed

Most of the time I don't pay for priority either because, like Taxed, the local mail gets there the next day or the 2nd. I've even had first class mail get to FL from DE in 2 days.

But I can top Jack's story. I live in northwestern DE in a town right on the PA line. I sent a 10x13 envelope with tax documents to the next local town over from me in PA that is at most about 5 miles away. That first class envelope took 7 days to reach the recipient because it went to Philadelphia first. I could have walked there and back many times over. How's that for inefficiency?

That happens quite often to first class mail if it is going to the next town over and you live in a zone where the mail is sent to a processing center not in your state. A postal client of mine told me that if you want a first class letter to go real quick drop it off at the post office that is also the sorting center. In my town there are 2 post offices but only one is a sorting center so instead of leaving my first class mail in my mailbox for them to pick up, I drive the 3 miles and drop it off at the post office for all my business mail.

Our office is in between two houses. We have had both FedEx and UPS drop packages off at the houses on either side of us, and the delivery receipt for the sender shows that it has been delivered because they scanned it when they threw it out the door of the truck. One FedEx overnight delivery of a client's tax information was placed on the basement steps of our neighbor, and sat there for a week until the client called to see how we were getting along and we started hunting for where the package had been delivered. The USPS is not perfect, but for what they charge, I think they usually do an excellent job. They could probably be more efficient if they were allowed to develop their own business model instead of being constrained by Congress to operate a certain way.

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

At least with first class mail they will deliver it to the mailbox or mailslot of the residential address. UPS and FedEx will just place the package at the doorstep and drive away. I have had box of office supplies ruined because they left it at the front door and it rained. They are better suited for delivery to a business or office address.

My mailing costs would go through the roof if it were not for reasonable first class mailing rates.

When you need verified confirmation of delivery, USPS loses to all others. Too many employees do NOT scan pallets or items. Especially upon delivery. I have over 50 first person examples of packages being delivered, but the delivering postal worker did not scan the item when it was delivered. These were first class with delivery confirmation at additional cost.

In my case, e-Bay will only accept electronic verification of delivery confirmation. If the delivering carrier does not scan, I lose proof that it was delivered, and the recipient can claim non-delivery. Has cost me many times.

I stick to the old-fashioned way. If it's important enough to track, it's important enough to take to the post office, get a certified mail receipt, and pay for return receipt. Well worth the $ 6.11 cost. I have my proof of mailing, and I get the green card back for my files (about 95% of the time). I also photocopy the envelope (front and back) after everything is inside, stickers are stuck on, and it's ready to go to the post office.

I've heard people claim it's useless because you can't prove what's in the envelope, but I think that's bogus. The few times I've had to produce this info IRS always accepted it - in one instance it saved a proposed corporate return penalty in the thousands of dollars.

I've never had an issue with priority mail, and the price can't be beat. I usually combine trips (bank, post office, grocery store), and the round trip is only about 6 miles. One post office near the bank & grocery store has one of those automatic postage/package machines and since the lobby is open late, I can send mail even when the post office isn't open. I had to get a return sent overnight, and the difference between FedEx and USPS express mail was $30!

Has anyone ever visited Chicago main post office or any it's city post offices? Just a warning, most of time there are long lines, the main post has about ten tellers and usually there are only two or three people working, I think it against the law or religion to get you in and out fast, you are on their time. Last time I was at the post office, I seen a worker move in slow motion to get a mail bin, after he return to his station, I swear it took 5 minutes for him to get comfortable in his chair.

Guest Taxed

Anyone still using stamps.com? I don't have enough volume after tax season to justify paying the monthly fee! Almost 90% of my newsletters and other communications are electronic now.

I create all package shipping labels online and print them on my printer. No monthly charge, no special printer or labels, and a 5-8% discount. USPS delivers rolls of first class stamps to me for a single $1 service charge. In the last 5 years I have shipped over 800 packages both first class and priority, all with delivery confirmation and many with insurance, and have gone to the Post office maybe 20 times.

My postal carrier picks up my packages, scans them, takes them to the processing point and I rarely travel to the post office. Our local post office is staffed properly, but it is typically 30 minutes to get to the window because they have no incentive to be efficient.

Same thing for Fed Ex or UPS. Create the shipping labels here, carrier picks them up.

I use first class mail to send return packages under the "magic" 13 oz limit. Above that weight, they want you to bring the packages to the post office. No such restriction on Priority Mail! My time is worth far more than the extra $1.50 to send Priority, plus I get the delivery confirmation. Plus the discount for buying online, and my carrier picks everything up.

As for stamps -- yes they will send rolls for $1.00 fee through USPS dot com -- but there is still the free-delivery "stamps by mail" available. Ask your carrier for the envelope. You can order rolls and booklets, forever, postcard, and make-up (1-cent, etc) stamps that way.

Stamps dot com is too pricey to be worth it for me. However, I have Endicia stamps through my Dymo label printer -- as long as you buy the postage rolls from them, it's a free monthly service. They are coming up with some changes in the next few months, though, so we'll see if I continue. It's not quite as all-encompassing as stamps dot com; you can get many variations on postage but it doesn't do Media Mail or packages (whereupon I go to usps dot com at least to get rates).

• Like 1

I use first class mail to send return packages under the "magic" 13 oz limit. Above that weight, they want you to bring the packages to the post office. No such restriction on Priority Mail! My time is worth far more than the extra $1.50 to send Priority, plus I get the delivery confirmation. Plus the discount for buying online, and my carrier picks everything up.

As for stamps -- yes they will send rolls for $1.00 fee through USPS dot com -- but there is still the free-delivery "stamps by mail" available. Ask your carrier for the envelope. You can order rolls and booklets, forever, postcard, and make-up (1-cent, etc) stamps that way.

Stamps dot com is too pricey to be worth it for me. However, I have Endicia stamps through my Dymo label printer -- as long as you buy the postage rolls from them, it's a free monthly service. They are coming up with some changes in the next few months, though, so we'll see if I continue. It's not quite as all-encompassing as stamps dot com; you can get many variations on postage but it doesn't do Media Mail or packages (whereupon I go to usps dot com at least to get rates).

I get 10-15 rolls at a time once a year (usually just before the rate goes up), so the delivery charge is inconsequential. Agree with all you say!

• Like 2