ATX Community

WhatSup..?

Elrod

Tying up tomato plants again since the storm blew them around the stakes and onto the ground. Flattened half our green beans that were BEAUTIFUL before the storm.

Will be canning about 1 bushel of beans from the garden tomorrow.

Getting ready for IRS Forum in Atlanta.

Staying in bed till 8:30 every weekday and 10:00 on Sat & Sun.

Working on convincing my kids (29, 27 & 25) that it is a good thing to come visit.

• Like 1

Raspberries need picking but it rained and thundered all day. Blackberries are starting to ripen. Waste of time meeting tonight; glad it's over.

Have only two (of ~12) IRS letters for 2011 left to respond to; they all arrived suddenly last week sending clients into panic mode. Just about all of them were IRS errors (well, one was a MassDOR error), and one was a small error on my part now all fixed.

Have been practicing my fiddle tunes for the NHHG competition come September. Got a new type of rosin to try and it seems to be better for this real humid weather we've been having. Have only been on my bike once or twice - it's either raining or obscenely hot.

• Like 1

UFO week - - -"Un Finished Objects" - - cleaning up the office - -cleaning up the house - - - doing rehab on 4th knee surgery - - AND - - part of my "non-court mandated community service" a few sewing projects for Our Lady Of Victory Basilica - - a FABULOUS building with a unique history - - the Founder, Fr. Baker is up for canonization - -and after this past taxseason - - - -I need ALL the purgatory time I can get removed!!!!

• Like 2

Being Lazy Time! Wish we would get some of Catherine's rain. Our berries need it. Have been getting hubby's VA papers in order and now have to fill out his paperwork for the "Honor Flight" to DC in October. Got all of our Doctors' appts behind us, (knock on wood)!

I need to do some "serious" cleaning, but that has no appeal. Am working on bags for GoodWill. Our closets are running over with things we haven't worn in a long time. OUT WITH IT! Waiting for first Great Grandbaby in Oct. So exciting! Flower gardens are at the peak of beauty (as can be seen on Pinterest). Getting supplies lined up for next go around with tax clients.

• Like 1

I had some down time after tax season ended where I -

caught up on my CPE before my 6/30 reporting deadline,

shuttled my mom to a variety of places, doctor's appointments, and helped her with things around her house,

did stuff around my house and didn't do other stuff needed to be done,

stayed inside and watched the torrential rains and then the soaring temperatures,

finished some knitting projects,

made some lovely, soft handspun wool yarns for future knitting,

some reading,

and was lazy in between all of that.

Now I'm back to being very busy with the office workload!

Was somewhat "blah" after the tax season. Developed some pains that I couldn't explain. Began to look at side effects of some medicines. Cholesterol medicine side effects matched all the things I was experiencing. Quit it. The pains went away. Life became an excitement again. Feeling so good I began walking (had not been able to for more than two years because of hip pain that went away when I quit the medicine). Now running and walking almost every day. Have more energy than I have had in a number of years. Looking for things to do. It's great to feel like a teenager when I am now a senior citizen! Excited about life!

• Like 2

I wish I could be lazy. Work is still there. I've been tackling lots of returns on extension (many brought in on April 10 or later), doing them to the point where I know what info is still needed. And how many of those clients have delivered the info? You guessed it. They'll wake up October 10. Except, of course, those clients who suddenly need to refinance their business or home or whatever. They show up will all the missing info and start calling the next day to see if their return is done. I keep repeating to myself "your problem is not my problem." I refuse to let them stress me outside of tax season.

There's also the estate and trust returns with their own deadlines. The gift tax returns where no tax is due so being a little late doesn't matter that much. I do find that the clients I'm working on at this time of year tend to be disorganized and their returns are complex. I just finished one who had NINE LLCs (each with its own issues), two with foreign income exclusions, one whose "Quickbooks accounting" consists of nothing but his bank statements, a couple theft losses (internet scams, had four others during the season), a partnership that just dissolved, etc. Good thing it's off season so there's time to do the research. Oh, and lots of amendments--everything from really late corrected brokerage statements (or corrections to the corrected ones) to people suddenly finding yet more student loan interest or property taxes.

What's nice, though, is that the pace is so much different. Hours 9 to 5, no 7 days a week (actually trying to do four). Coming home, having a real dinner, and then being interested in booting up the computer. During tax season I have no interest in my personal computer after staring at one all day and half the night. Like others here, I too am behind in so many things that just got pushed aside during tax season. I will not stress, I will get to them when I get to them, and who wants to bet how many of them actually get done by the time 2014 filing season is here? Is it just me?

• Like 2

Extensions, extensions, extensions. You started a partnership? You moved to Singapore half-way through the year? You hired a Japanese national with a 3-year work visa? You need all five returns yesterday to refinance? You found more deductions for 2011? You didn't know you had $50,000 in interest during 2011? You want me to do your payroll starting 1 July, as in over three weeks ago? You have your dozens of K-1s now, including those you sold and partially sold and bought, so you expect to pick up your return today? You have your third correction of your 1099-B with 99 double-sided 8 point font pages, so you expect to pick up your return today? My clients are just as crazed, but I'm procrastinating more.

I spent the beginning of July on Appalachia Service Project in Washington County, VA. We helped our daughter move a couple of weekends ago and attended her housewarming party last weekend (which is where I picked up the Singapore couple, cousin of her boyfriend). Maybe I'll actually get a few more returns complete before we leave for my husband's annual family reunion in July on the Cape.

• Like 2