ATX Community

NT / There's always THAT ONE GUY

RitaB

They can actually find things that we have entered incorrectly (heaven forbid). Usually it is personal info such as phone number, house number, but I have already had to amend because of a client finding something missing. At least they are looking. However, the majority will call and ask for a copy of their return. When you ask what they did with the one you gave them, it is usually "I don't know!"

Yeah, I too love my clients who go over their return, with me or later, and ask questions throughout the year. Especially those that ask questions BEFORE they make a financial move. However, I hate questions in April and October! Now those planning questions -- I can make an appointment or telephone appointment to discuss next month. But, those niggling little questions about that one specific item on their return...it sometimes takes more time to explain than I have right now.

• Like 1

Is it always a guy?

Yes. Yes, it is.

I actually like those customers. It might be a little bit of a PITA to answer their questions, but they have to sign the return too and I think it is a good thing that they actually are reviewing it.

Oh, I love it when clients pay attention and ask me questions, but if they can't tell those are part of the form, and have been for all twelve years we've been doing this? Hey, "maximum" and "threshold" and "dollar limitation" might be clues...

• Like 4

The questions that I mind are the ones where the program does a calculation, and the result doesn't resemble the input. If the client asks "what's that"....it takes more time for an explanation than doing the return.

My general response is "it's a calculation in the program"....but if they want a deeper explanation I send the worksheet.

These people may get classified as PITAs. While I think it's good to go over the return and ask questions, I am not a "tax theory" teacher.

I don't ask my doctor "how the body works" or a pilot "how to fly".

The questions that I mind are the ones where the program does a calculation, and the result doesn't resemble the input. If the client asks "what's that"....it takes more time for an explanation than doing the return.

My general response is "it's a calculation in the program"....but if they want a deeper explanation I send the worksheet.

These people may get classified as PITAs. While I think it's good to go over the return and ask questions, I am not a "tax theory" teacher.

I don't ask my doctor "how the body works" or a pilot "how to fly".

I always like my answer when they ask me to explain how the AMT affects them and why they have to pay it. I just tell them it's because Congress thinks they make too much money. Hopefully they'll remember that on their next trip to the voting booth. (Did I just cross a line here?)

• Like 2

I always like my answer when they ask me to explain how the AMT affects them and why they have to pay it. I just tell them it's because Congress thinks they make too much money. Hopefully they'll remember that on their next trip to the voting booth. (Did I just cross a line here?)

NOPE - when a client starts bitching about their taxes I hand them a sheet I keep handy with all the local politicians contact info!

• Like 3

My all time most disgusting clients ever (did them once...and I prayed the return would be accepted) who made lots of $$$ (him...engineer...wife...attorney) asked how they could lower their tax. I said "make less money"........ Well, that didn't go over too well.

Both parties in this couple completely lacked personality....they had those permanent sour looks on their face.

If people ask me "to explain" and "what's the magic number" I tell them it's a formula.

Call this morning....

"4 years ago I bought a rental property with money I withdrew from my 401K and I started a business in my home as well fixing computers. I filed a 1040EZ for the last 3 years. I need to get this mess fixed. Can you get this fixed for me by Tuesday so I can file by the deadline? I did file an extension."

I have an appointment with her Saturday, October 19 at 10:00AM. Big upfront cash retainer will be the first subject of discussion.

• Like 1

It's always one, isn't it? This past week I've had one client that has been a total pain by calling every. single. morning. First it was the son with questions on ACA related to their corporation, then look something up in his records that I currently have (that couldn't wait a day, seriously?!), then dad calls because he's buying a new house/then he isn't/then he is and banker needs info, then banker calls twice and emails, then their company had chargebacks on credit cards, then it was dad signing up for Medicare and not on social security so they are getting billed, then a second bill because they are high income and have to pay the additional medicare. Today was the first morning no one from that family called!

• Like 1

I'm putting on my To-Do List for after the 15th to compile that list of politicians so I can do like Michael does! Lots of AMT with my clients. Maybe I can upload my explanation to YouTube and just give clients the link when they ask what's this AMT and why do I have to pay it?!

Ok, here's one from yesterday. Client and I went over every single piece of paper in his folder (and there were a lot). I entered and reviewed every line item with him as we went along. He had a 1099-R code 3 distribution from Fidelity that he cannot remember receiving the money. He grumbled about it, went home, I finished his return for him to pickup the next day.

Meanwhile he calls Fidelity and is not getting a satisfactory explanation from them. So he calls me and wants me to exclude it from his return. I said no, we can amend if it is wrong. He then starts to get edgy with me because I won't budge. Once I know about something, I can't unring the bell. It stays on the return. Period.

Sometimes we get these obsessive personalities. I am good with them. It's OK. They either end up extremely loyal or continue to bop along from preparer to preparer. In any case, I don't care. I chalk it up to them and like teflon, it bounces off me. On with the show!

• Like 4

I had one of those a couple of years back. CLient had several 1099-R forms from various places. He kept telling me the taxable amount on a 1099-R from one fund was wrong, asking me to call them, etc. I did finally speak with the agent, who waffled and said it "might" be wrong and he would look into it. I think he just didn't want to tick off his customer.

Extension time rolled around and there was no new 1099-R forthcoming, so I told him the return had to go in "as is". I explained that I had to use the info he gave me and we can't arbitrarily change it.

Last year he gave me his info and there was no 1099-R from that particular fund. When I asked about it, he said he didn't take a distribution from this fund in that year. So I made a note of his response and moved on. I suspect we will be revisting this in a couple of years when the CP notice shows up.

• Like 3