ATX Community

Bad News

ILLMAS

The same here; kept waiting for them to give him the real thing. That is the sort of joke I've played with my siblings as adults - having my brother open a package that contained only batteries before giving him the one with the Walkman for instance (yeah I'm dating myself!). But you don't do that to a kid ferchrissakes!

Back to Thanksgiving: in the '80s I worked for Tower Records which had to be the first store that was open 365 days of the year. In fact my first workday was Thanksgiving 1983. BUT the store asked for volunteers for the three major holidays (T-day, Christmas & New years), paid double time, gave the option of working a half day, and Thanksgiving & Christmas catered a meal with all the trimmings for us. That first day of work I was literally starving, and was truly thankful for having a full turkey dinner! thanksgiving was an extremely slow day, and was mostly staffed with employees like me that had no family in NYC, so the store was 'family'. The same with Christmas (I took every other Christmas off travel home to be with my family), although Christmas was horribly busy with every non-Christian in NYC shopping IMHO! The store never wanted for staff volunteering to work. This is such a difference from the Wal-Mart experience.

Tower paid full health & dental insurance too. First job I had with benefits.

Those types of employers are hard to come by. My son can't come this year for Thanksgiving because his boss told him last Friday he can't have Friday next week off. It is a 13 hour drive each way for him to come home. :wall: :wall: :wall:

He better get a few days for Christmas.

That thought did cross my mind, but the rest of the family is coming to me!

He has already told his boss that since he missed Thanksgiving, he needs the day before Christmas off to travel and the day after.