ATX Community

Bad News

ILLMAS

Everybody hates bad news, but the only bad news here is that the old server no longer hosts the ATX forum, and if you feel Eric is doing a good job with the site don't forget to click on the "Donations" link, lets show our appreciation to him.

MAS

This is a non-lawyer spokesperson or paid actor

• Like 2

When I explain what's going on with the site, hosting changes, things like that, it's not because I'm looking for donations. Seriously, I just want to keep you folks informed like I do all of my clients.

Thank you though, the donations are appreciated. I'll use them to pay for the next big forum upgrade (version 4.0) which looks like it'll be released soon at the rate they're teasing about new features.

• Like 1

We are tired of turkey, will be trying out something different this year.

attachicon.gifCreamed-Possum.jpg

How about a nice Glazed Ham?

1 large ready to cook smoked ham (12 to 14 lbs)

Glaze:

1 cup brown sugar, packed

2 tablespoons corn syrup (If you like maple flavor use maple syrup)

2 tablespoons flour

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

2 tablespoon Louisiana Hot Sauce

2 tablespoons water

Preparation:

Heat oven to 325°. Line a roasting pan with foil. Wrap the ham in foil, keeping the ham fat side up.

Place it in the baking pan.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes per pound, or until a meat thermometer or temperature probe registers about 145°.

Make the glaze as follows:

In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, mustard, Hot sauce and vinegar. Stir

over medium-low heat until smooth. Add water and bring to a simmer, stirring, for 1 minute.

Remove the foil from the ham and remove excess fat. Score the ham all over the surface, creating a diamond pattern.

Return to the oven and continue baking to about 155 to 160°, basting with the glaze mixture frequently.

Serve with your favorite trimmings.

Ok, I'm drooling over the ham and turkey. Not so much over the possum. lol

I'll be thinking of you all next Thursday when you are feasting. Our turkey day is still TBD because two of the gathering work retail, one on Thanksgiving, one extra hours on other days following. At this rate, it may be combined into Christmas!

• Like 2

What have we become as a society? Now shopping takes priority over spending a holiday with family?

Did you see Walmart cancelled all employee vacations for that day. No excuses.

I have never shopped on Thanksgiving or Christmas at a retail store.

• Like 1

Ok, I'm drooling over the ham and turkey. Not so much over the possum. lol

I'll be thinking of you all next Thursday when you are feasting. Our turkey day is still TBD because two of the gathering work retail, one on Thanksgiving, one extra hours on other days following. At this rate, it may be combined into Christmas!

My condolences to any loved ones working retail on Black Friday. I've never had the opportunity to experience such a hell, but I have heard stories.

My condolences to any loved ones working retail on Black Friday. I've never had the opportunity to experience such a hell, but I have heard stories.

I have never worked Black Friday either, and as a rule I don't shop that day because I hate crowds. But I am thoroughly disgusted with all of the stores that are now opening late on Thanksgiving day (8:00? not really that late). Can't they give their employees a little break? I miss the days when you had to plan ahead because almost everything was closed on Sunday.

• Like 2

I also don't like crowds and don't shop on Black Friday. And, I won't shop on Thanksgiving either. I think we all need a few holidays, including those that are nearly universal so families can get together. Well, as least as far as my family's universe extends!

My son and daughter-in-law work at an Inn open 365 days, so she'll be on her feet all next week cooking dozens of turkeys. We don't go near the Inn when they're busy. We'll drive up Christmas day to eat with them when the restaurant closes for the evening and open presents under the Inn's tree when they can put their feet up. We stay a few days between the holidays while the Inn is mostly empty and leave before they prepare for New Year's Eve.

My stepdaughter is in a serious relationship now so has "his" family and her mother's family and her mother's live-in boyfriend's family and her father's/my family to schedule. I told her not to let visiting us add any stress to her holidays and that we are happy to see them whenever it fits their schedules. She and her boyfriend will come to church with us on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and we'll take them out to lunch, No shopping!

• Like 2

This has been my policy for all 7 major holidays for the past 30 years. We do not do ANY business on the Holidays for the reason mentioned in the picture. It would need to be life or death situation for us to do any business.

On the other hand, I have been in line at 3:00AM on Friday after Thanksgiving to get some great electronics and technology deals.

• Like 3

When I was a young whipper snapper I used to work for a department store called Goldblatts, which merge with a store name Ames and Zayres and I always enjoyed watching people spend their money or putting stuff on layaway, I might of not been a productive person but I was always there to pick up my paycheck.

• Like 1

When I was a young whipper snapper I used to work for a department store called Goldblatts, which merge with a store name Ames and Zayres and I always enjoyed watching people spend their money or putting stuff on layaway, I might of not been a productive person but I was always there to pick up my paycheck.

I remember Goldblatts and Zayres. Used to go to Goldblatts with $20 and buy enough for a week. (About 50 years ago). (When I was a young whipper snapper