ATX Community

ATX question. Trying to print label on Avery 5160

Pacun

OOPS! Try .25 inch first. Since it was an issue last year and never has been in the past, I am surprised and disappointed that ATX didn't correct this. Two years ago, I asked for more flexibility in printing labels. (such as in being able to pick the start spot on the sheet of labels). Since this fiasco, I will never mention labels to them again.

All the tax prep software I have ever used, I always export the contact information to Excel and then use Word to print letters,mailmerge and labels. It works all the time and just requires an initial template to be created and then you reuse it each year.

All the tax prep software I have ever used, I always export the contact information to Excel and then use Word to print letters,mailmerge and labels. It works all the time and just requires an initial template to be created and then you reuse it each year.

I will have to have my assistant show me how to do this when she comes in. I have never learned to master either Word or Excel; simply because there has been no need.

That is exactly why I have to print my client labels on a 20 per page label like avery 5161/8161 labels. 1" x 4"...

If I don't I loose part of many of the names.... and the Bldg # and/or Apt # run off the 5160 labels.

I have requested ATX allow a "choice" of label in the software.. I also have to get someone to help me with Excel... and Word mail merge... The point is ... I shouldn't have to. ATX should work easily; and it never has as far as labels...

I don't hold it against any Tax prep software if they can't line up labels etc. That is not their primary function. As long as i can export the contact information to a CSV or an Excel file,I am good to go.

Using Word is easy, once you know how to do it. Watch the Youtube videos.

I don't hold it against any Tax prep software if they can't line up labels etc. That is not their primary function. As long as i can export the contact information to a CSV or an Excel file,I am good to go.

Using Word is easy, once you know how to do it. Watch the Youtube videos.

I have never had any issues in the past and I was able to select different types of labels. In this case, I think the software is limited to 3 columns and they feed constantly as if the paper you are using is not 8.5 X 11 but rather 8.5 by 9999999999, depending on the size of your database.

In the past, I have always changed the font size (this can still be done) and I have indented as needed.

>> paper you are using is not 8.5 X 11 but rather 8.5 by 9999999999, depending on the size of your database.

The last time I used continous labels with my dot matrix printer was over 20 years ago! What a pain they were when it got misaligned or jumped the sproket :wall:

• 1 month later...

Yes. I was able to print by selecting 30 at a time.

How far do you go to get ATX2012 to crash? In your case, I would make sure that the default printer for Windows and/or ATX is a printer capable of printing labels. Then I would select only a couple of clients.

I was very frustrated printing labels in ATX2012.

Printing to the 3 across #5161.

First, I BOLD the labels, they look much better.

I also found out that the labels do not print from the "Return Name" column in the Return Manager, for 1120/1120S/1065/990 but from "Company Name" Column. Found that out after labels printed with no names, but Address, City State.

Reposted the company names in the return manager to the Company Name Column. You can also update the 1040 names as well if they are too long.

The next problem was that they were no lining up with the top of the labels.

Found out there a block on the "print client labels" that pops up, "Margins" at "Top" should be set to .55 in my case, your printer may be .5 or .45 or something else.

Yes, I wasted about 5 pages of labels.

However, once I learned this, I could print as many as I wanted.

I also know how to export to Excel, and create a letter in Word and mail merge and all that....

But I just want 20 fricking labels right now...

Rich

I was very frustrated printing labels in ATX2012.

Printing to the 3 across #5161.

First, I BOLD the labels, they look much better.

I also found out that the labels do not print from the "Return Name" column in the Return Manager, for 1120/1120S/1065/990 but from "Company Name" Column. Found that out after labels printed with no names, but Address, City State.

Reposted the company names in the return manager to the Company Name Column. You can also update the 1040 names as well if they are too long.

The next problem was that they were no lining up with the top of the labels.

Found out there a block on the "print client labels" that pops up, "Margins" at "Top" should be set to .55 in my case, your printer may be .5 or .45 or something else.

Yes, I wasted about 5 pages of labels.

However, once I learned this, I could print as many as I wanted.

I also know how to export to Excel, and create a letter in Word and mail merge and all that....

But I just want 20 fricking labels right now...

Rich

This will be fixed in the program update scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 6, 2014.

Let this be a lesson. Rather than waste five sheets of costly labels, print on a plain sheet of paper first. Hold it and the label sheet up to the light and see if they align. I copy my addresses first so in case I have to do it again I don't have to type anything over again.

I can't imagine working without Excel. Take a course at a local community college or buy "Excel for Dummies." I have one client with over a dozen brokerages, and the only way I can check if I've entered all the qualifying/nonqualifying divs, basis reported or not, cap gains, state taxable or not, etc.in the right places is by entering it all in an Excel worksheet.

This year the IRS is giving us a break with these Sch Ds. If basis is reported, we only have to enter the totals directly on Sch D, no F 8949 required. No F8453 either. Just think, in 50 years when people have given up the stocks they hold now all brokerage statements will have basis reported and we won't get dizzy trying to enter everything in the right place with the right code.