ATX Community

Mind your own business (cough cough)

ILLMAS

Laugh of the day material
Mind your own Business
I was walking past the mental hospital the other day,and all the patients were shouting.
" 13 ...... 13 ...... 13 ...... 13 ...... 13 ...... 13 ...... 13 ...... 13 ...... 13 "
The fence was too high to see over, but I saw a lttle gap in the planks,
so I looked through to see what the hell was going on .....
Some idiot poked me in the eye with a stick!
As I rubbed my eye, and walked away they all started shouting again
"14 ...... 14 ...... 14 ...... 14 ...... 14 ...... 14 ......"
  • Like 6

jokes are usually irreverent

When the opposite is reverent, that's fine. It is good and healthy to make jokes about our own beliefs and what makes others strong. But it is cruel and unhealthy to laugh at others' pain and misfortune.

This is an old joke with new poignancy. First, society is much less tolerant of such insensitivity. The joke makes a pun on the word idiot, but that word has changed meaning; across the country laws and even state constitutions have been rewritten to put it in perspective.

At the same time, those two numbers have become incredibly inflammatory. A group shouting or chanting either of those numbers is committing a felony in every state of the union. They have caused incalculable suffering, so they also need to be understood with kindness. Please put an end to this thread.

When the opposite is reverent, that's fine. It is good and healthy to make jokes about our own beliefs and what makes others strong. But it is cruel and unhealthy to laugh at others' pain and misfortune.

This is an old joke with new poignancy. First, society is much less tolerant of such insensitivity. The joke makes a pun on the word idiot, but that word has changed meaning; across the country laws and even state constitutions have been rewritten to put it in perspective.

At the same time, those two numbers have become incredibly inflammatory. A group shouting or chanting either of those numbers is committing a felony in every state of the union. They have caused incalculable suffering, so they also need to be understood with kindness. Please put an end to this thread.

Really? You need a dose of "how to understand and treat humor" medicine. Maybe several HUGE doses!!

I think this is an old joke, and I did not understand Mr Pencil's comment about the gang reference either so I googled. My search showed that the numbers 13 & 14 are used by gangs to relate to the letters M & N in the alphabet and are used to indicate the Mexican Mafia and a large drug cartel run by a family whose name begins with the letter N.

I'll lock the thread so we don't continue down the path of discussing why someone finds the joke offensive.

• Like 2