ATX Community

Good ideas, can you share? Do you like this one?

Pacun

This is a good idea. If a child needs to file a return but he/she will be claimed on parents return, now matter how easy his/her return is, DONT FILE IT FIRST. File the parents return first and when it is accepted by the IRS, then file the child's.

If a child has been claimed by his/her parents and now he has to file his own return and will not be claimed on parents' return any more, file his return FIRST and then file parents. This is very important especially if a new dependent will take his/her place. A lot of times, if you don't save and close the return, ATX insists on keeping the old SS#. As you know an incorrect social security number on a family return is devastating because the last name is the same.

Another good idea is to keep in my records, enough W-2s and other records to file a paper return. Normally, I keep both the federal and state copies of the W-2 if the return is rejected and I must paper file it, I print out the forms, sign them and prepare the envelopes and I ask the client to come and sign and mail them. The client only spends 5 minutes in the office.

How about your good practices or experiences?

• Like 3

I always enter the "certain distributions" on line 4 of Form 8880, whether it's currently necessary or not, so I don't have to find that information later. Also give a copy to client in case (gasp) they ever leave or forsake me.

I always give client a depreciation schedule. It's the right thing to do.

• Like 4

I don't track clients down. And, I think that's a good idea, to not track them down. The first time you forget, you're the bad guy.

And, I try to handle little things that take under two minutes immediately, rather than try to get back to them later. I think I probably got that from JohnH, and that it was in a book he read. I forgot all the details except the tip.

• Like 2

I don't track clients down. And, I think that's a good idea, to not track them down. The first time you forget, you're the bad guy.

And, I try to handle little things that take under two minutes immediately, rather than try to get back to them later. I think I probably got that from JohnH, and that it was in a book he read. I forgot all the details except the tip.

The book is "Getting Things Done" by David Allen.

Best productivity book I've ever read.

I think I'll review the main points again - thanks for the reminder Rita.

• Like 2

Scan all client documents and notes and save them to a folder on my PC and external drive (as well as pdf version of their return). Clients love it when they need a copy of a document later in the year (or years later) and I can print /e-mail it for them quickly and easily.

I've been doing that for about 5 years now. Best idea ever! I have a ScanSnap right at my elbow. It was about the best investment I have made to date.

• Like 1

I've been doing that for about 5 years now. Best idea ever! I have a ScanSnap right at my elbow. It was about the best investment I have made to date.

ScanSnaps rock! They never die either. I took my old one home when I upgraded everyone to the 1500. Bought a Canon once and it last about a year and a half.

On a more serious note, here are the good ideas I implement constantly:

1) Extensions - start filing them around mid-March on every return as it comes in. If you finish the return before Apr 15, no harm has been done. But if you get swamped in the next 2-3 weeks, you're not wasting a lot of time & energy in early April trying to double back and persuade people to LET you file extensions.

2) US Mail - get clients to mail their info to you, rather than drop it off.

3) Email & Texting - get your clients accustomed to emailing back & forth (texting for younger clients since they rarely use email these days). Email & texting prevents them from tying you up on the phone.

4) Do everything possible to keep your clients out of your office. This will enable you to get some work done.

• Like 8

so a once a year client that usually goes on extension that you bill $5000 for each of the past 3 years, you wouldn't try and call him if its march 8th and you haven't heard from him yet.

I really appreciate email because I can save it easily into their file as a pdf. What do you do with texts? I have only a couple of folks that even know how to text (I just got into it this year) but really don't want info that I cannot save somewhere besides my phone for future reference.

There are several ways to preserve texts. The easiest and simplest is to just do a screenshot of the text and then email it to yourself. But most conversations via text are more along the lines of "You forgot to give me your mortgage statement, please send it", and other informational type things.

We had a long conversation about texts on another thread, and I can say with absolute certainty that if a tax preparer isn't interested in texting, you will find many of your younger clients changing to someone who is (assuming they ever become your clients to begin with).

This isn't important for anyone nearing retirement, but for anyone who has a professional time horizon extending out more than 3-5 years, it is critical information. If you don't believe me, just spend some time hanging out with some 14-15 year-olds and watch how they interact with one another. They are your future clients.

Thanks KC. I paid a couple of hundred dollars for a set of CD's by David many years ago, which had about 12 hours of teaching. A quick look at this 45-minute clip seems to summarize most of his key points in that series. Understanding the Matrix of Self-Management and Mind Like Water at the mid-point of the talk is really the heart of GTD.

• Like 1

I never transmit an e-file until the day after the client picks up. Gives them time to find errors. I just got a text from a client who picked up this afternoon: "Hey, Rita, I forgot to tell you our address is now..." And, yes, their refund is being mailed to them.

• Like 1

I never transmit an e-file until the day after the client picks up. Gives them time to find errors. I just got a text from a client who picked up this afternoon: "Hey, Rita, I forgot to tell you our address is now..." And, yes, their refund is being mailed to them.

I had one of those last year. Argh!

• Like 1