ATX Community

Windows XP: It's time to say good-bye

Crank

It's one thing to keep an old machine for old programs, but stop the email when MS stops the security updates. Don't use an XP machine to access the internet, connect to your WiFi, etc. Use it as strictly stand-alone without it reaching out to anything. Connect it to your printer via hard wire. The techies can put it in the right language for us.

My old XP is sitting in my techie's workshop, not working due to hardware failures; but we've yet to destroy the hard drive in case I think of one more thing I need to get from it. After tax season we'll give it a decent burial.

3 of my 4 workstations are XP and I haven't hadn't any problems. My server/workstation is 8.1 and zero problems as well. We will be upgrading XP machines AFTER tax season. We were too busy to deal with it last fall.

XP was the first OS that didn't freeze several times a day so many of us remember it fondly. But having worked with 8 for over a year, I hate when I'm on one of my XP computers.

Maybe a better analogy would be:

How many XP users still have a black and white TV or a rotary phone?

Nah, I think you still a few decades off. XP was released 10/25/2001, and it's just now, in 2014, becoming unsupported. I'm still rockin a flip phone, because I just want a PHONE, my car is a 2004 Tahoe, my farm truck is a 1998 Z71 with 200,000 miles, my TV looks hideous from the side cause it's as deep as it is wide, but I'm not throwing it out while it works, plus it's in a nice cabinet (made of wood born prior to 2001 even) so nobody has to be offended, and I still have clothes in my closet from 2001. True story. Not ashamed.

• Like 4

Drake works fine on XP.

Yes, that's what I hear. ATX 2012 and ATX 2013 don't, so I got me a super duper computer Feb 2013 to accommodate them. And, I gotta say, I hate Windows 7, and MS Office How-Much-Crap-Can-We-Put-on-Here-to-Drive-Rita-Crazy. I really don't want a sexy tax program or spreadsheet. I'm a simple person.

I'm the only one that does not procastinate when it comes to technology? I've been on my own going on my six years now, I have gone through two computers so far, three printers and I have my third computer on it's way, and cell phones too. I will not talk about my car, it may be a :poop: but it gets me from point A to point B.

Lets focus on business use machines, not personal use computers, that can be another discussion on it's own, computers that run your business application software.

I agree with you, Rita.

I still like Office 97 for speed and functionality of Excel.

At least you don't have to click on two or three icons to do a simple task.

Good grief, it's a spreadsheet!

There are just too many bells & whistles on the later versions.

As for Windows and associated hassles, I'm becoming more and more happy about the changeover to Mac. I think I'm going to keep moving in that direction.

• Like 1

I agree with you, Rita.

I still like Office 97 for speed and functionality of Excel.

At least you don't have to click on two or three icons to do a simple task.

Good grief, it's a spreadsheet!

There are just too many bells & whistles on the later versions.

As for Windows and associated hassles, I'm becoming more and more happy about the changeover to Mac. I think I'm going to keep moving in that direction.

How are you running your business programs on your Mac? As far I as know you still need windows to do so.

I still like WordPerfect for ease of use! But, I went cold-turkey to MS around Office 2003. I'm on Office 2010, but don't know half the menu items. It takes so long to find things sometimes, especially when I'm at a client's site with Macs and their version of Office and then return home to my PC version. Same with QB where I have to upgrade when any client upgrades, and those same two clients use QB for Mac.

Anybody make use of Office on their iPad? Or, QB on their iPad? Maybe I could get up to speed in the off season so I'm not so lost when at my Mac client's sites.

How are you running your business programs on your Mac? As far I as know you still need windows to do so.

I'm transitioning, so some things are still running on a PC. (Drake & QuickBooks, for example).

But the Mac has several PC emulators, which I'm going to evaluate after tax season is over. Some are free, but I'm looking at one which costs $130 because it seems to offer the most seamless transition. I do think I need an emulator which doesn't require you to reboot.

The MS Office program for Mac works exactly the same as the PC version. And I can switch flash drives from the Mac to the PC and back without taking any extra steps. So I'm already covered with Word & Excel. I don't use Power Point since Keynote is far superior to it. All in all, I wouldn't be surprised to see myself completely out of the PC market by summer, except of course for archival and legacy stuff.

As time goes on, more and more software providers will find that they need to develop a Mac version or else lose a large segment of their market. I say this because the traffic is definitely flowing toward Mac, not away from it. After a month of using a Mac, I'm beginning to see why.

Lets focus on business use machines, not personal use computers, that can be another discussion on it's own, computers that run your business application software.

Yeah, you're right, I can't fight Peachtree, either. Even though the forced updates do nothing to enhance my life. It's like updating a Math textbook. Was there a new discovery? No, but we like selling software, so get with the program. And operating system.

I'm transitioning, so some things are still running on a PC. (Drake & QuickBooks, for example).

But the Mac has several PC emulators, which I'm going to evaluate after tax season is over. Some are free, but I'm looking at one which costs $130 because it seems to offer the most seamless transition. I do think I need an emulator which doesn't require you to reboot.

The MS Office program for Mac works exactly the same as the PC version. And I can switch flash drives from the Mac to the PC and back without taking any extra steps. So I'm already covered with Word & Excel. I don't use Power Point since Keynote is far superior to it. All in all, I wouldn't be surprised to see myself completely out of the PC market by summer, except of course for archival and legacy stuff.

As time goes on, more and more software providers will find that they need to develop a Mac version or else lose a large segment of their market. I say this because the traffic is definitely flowing toward Mac, not away from it. After a month of using a Mac, I'm beginning to see why.

It's never going to happened, no window base software developer is going to reinvent the wheel, lets use ATX 2012 & 2013 as an example, it had many problems just changing the design within Windows O/S, picture what would happened if they changed operating systems. Apple is very happy with it's market share already.