ATX Community

Deceased taxpayers SS numbers locked

SaraEA

Anyone else having this issue? We have had a number of returns rejected with the code that the taxpayer is deceased and their SS number has been locked. This means calling the person who filed the return back to the office so we can give them a paper return and pull the federal copies of withholding docs from their paperwork and attach it to the return they have to mail. (We scan everything and keep no originals.) With mandatory efile, you have to try to file first and then put the reject code on Form 8948.

Can we no longer efile returns for deceased taxpayers? It would be nice if the IRS told us so so we didn't go through the motions and then have to call the taxpayer back into the office.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

In that thread, Don referred to a March 5 NATP newsletter with information on the reject.

http://www.natptax.com/TaxProSolutions/Pages/default.aspx

Some Decedent Returns Being Rejected

The IRS has discovered a programming glitch involving some accounts for decedents who passed in 2013. Any returns attempting to process electronically for taxpayers deceased in 2013 are incorrectly rejecting from MeF processing. Programmers are looking into the problem and the IRS anticipates a fix in the near future. Until the programming has been resolved, the IRS recommends paper filing the return.

I have 2 returns in right now with spouse's that passed during 2013. They both come from quite a distance and I'm contemplating recommending that they each paper file the returns. I'll leave the final decision up to them, but tell them that they could have this problem and might have to come back for a paper return.

I have 2 returns in right now with spouse's that passed during 2013. They both come from quite a distance and I'm contemplating recommending that they each paper file the returns. I'll leave the final decision up to them, but tell them that they could have this problem and might have to come back for a paper return.

WHY would you have them come back when you can mail them the paper returns? I avoid clients in my office as much as possible to save time "chatting" with them

WHY would you have them come back when you can mail them the paper returns? I avoid clients in my office as much as possible to save time "chatting" with them

Agree 100% but these people don't want anything mailed. They want to pick them up, and that's why I'm going to suggest paper filing right from the start, to avoid the possibility of one or both of them rejecting.

• Like 1

I have come up with this solution to this reject problem. I efile return, but I give them a printed copy ready for them to mail if the reject happens.

To paper file a return you have to attach the explanation of not efiling to return... I already know what the reject code is for this one... so I prepare it and attach it to the return to be mailed (if necessary). I use this method when I know I can rely on the client to follow my instructions and NOT mail the return unless I call them and tell them to! I have them sign it, and it is ready to mail--- if needed.

Then I am basically done.... and the client does not have to come back to the office again.

One client asked me just to keep the return and mail it for them if needed.... but it is not my "policy" to mail returns for the client.

Too much chance for a problem there... if it doesn't get to the IRS... then client holds me liable, might accuse me of not mailing for them.

Since this appears to be a systemic problem, I've contacted our IRS liaison and she's looking into it.

I think the solution will be to print page 2 of the return and have the client sign it. Also keep originals of the Fed filing copy of withholding docs. If the return bounces, we can print the whole return, substitute the signed page 2, attach the withholding docs, enter the code on the 8948, and mail it without having the client return to the office.

taxtrio, the reject code is not always the same. It varies by where on the return the decedent is located. I've had some with just the IND-9XX whatever, and others with IND-9XX-0X (probably relates to primary taxpayer, secondary taxpayer, first or second or third dependent).

I have not had any rejects for clients who died in 2014. In 2013 I had a couple for clients who died that year, but both were instances of identity theft where the thieves filed before the family did. In those cases the reject was for returns already filed using that SS#. I never saw one about a locked SS# until this season.

I have used Sara's method when I think a paper return might be needed/expect a possible efile reject. I am set to mail if needed. If efile accepted, I shred the extra signature page. (Did that for a few trusts the first year I efiled trusts and was concerned about the exact legal trust name matching for those returns that came to me from prior preparers with little in the way of trust documents and no former efiling.)