ATX Community

client and her "dominant" husband

Janitor Bob

"She works a low-paying part time job and does some Sch C 1099-MISc work on the side"

Why does she work a "low-paying" part time job? Perhaps she is comfortable and doesn't need to work full-time? That would be nice.

LIKE. (I am still out of likes from yesterday.) Also, what Jack said. She's staying in it, and I'm guessing it's not a deep spiritual conviction going on, and hoping you rescue her. Sometimes you gotta rescue yourself.

• Like 4

Only thing to do for her is to get her to pay estimated taxes so she isn't hit with a big bill year after year. And for yourself, stay on top of the "innocent spouse" rules as I would not be at all surprised to see those come into play at some point. Finances kept this secret is a BIG red warning flag.

• Like 2

I say "dominant" because they only arrived together once...many years ago (the first year I did her return). I remember it vividly...he wanted to make sure I was not going to try to review his return. Since MFS, I needed at least his full name, SSN, and to see if he itemized. He was not going to give her a copy of his return, so he came with her to briefly show me his 1040. He would not let her talk, and every time she tried, he would give her this look..it was kinda frightening...and she would cower in the corner.

I know the reason she stays with him is that the alternative is to be homeless. She works as I mentioned...and makes enough to survive, but it would be tough if she also had to pay rent....so its a personal choice for her...be comfortable and abused (in my opinion) or scrape by on her own. She did tell me that she is actively looking for a place and will move out when she does.

Yes...Catherine...both she and I fully expect innocent spouse rules to apply at some point. She tells me that he brags to her every year about how large his refund is because all of the deductions he takes. I'm not sure if he is really deducting the crazy things he has mentioned to her...but if he is, he's gonna get caught one day.

$975 is not too far off from the damage each year....From what she tells me, she either has to scrape pennies to come up with it (she's on installmen plan currently to pay for 2011 and 2012) or beg him for money to pay...which is what he wants...to keep her dependent. She goes on to tell me that sometimes he makes her "do things" to earn the money...didn't ask...don't want to know.

This has been going on now for approx. 7 years...every year, its the same story. I feel sorry for her, but at the same time...7 years? I just try not to judge...have a few drinks before she arrives...and listen to her complain about the "bastard husband"

Maybe offer her the number of the local hotline for abused women. At least she could have someone to talk with to ponder options. Is she foreign? A 'bought' bride? I think she sounds like an 'economic slave.' But it seems as if she has resources (she has a job so has some skill set) and could make it on her own with a little help from agencies.

It's sad when one sees situations that are detrimental and ongoing. Sometimes, though, the involved person hasn't yet reached their bottom so won't make the decision to change the course of their lives.

Just keep being a supportive person, JB, within your professional limits. It seems she has few folks in her corner.

• Like 1

On the subject matter at hand. No one should have to be forced to sacrifice their liberty for the illusion of security.

I have seen similar situations in life and I did step in. Later on in the years, I would ask the woman. Why she did not change the situation? The reply was "I didnt know what to do"

Fear does things to a person's mental structure and usually it is mental but sometimes it is physical. The look you mentioned he gave her. Well thats the one thing she endures every day. Some people just do not fight back cause they cant.

If you believe you should step into this situation Janitor Bob, You will be in a fight. Make no beliefs otherwise. It wont be easy but contact the sheriff's department. They have homes for women that will be a great source of help. They will get her to a better place in her life.

• Like 1