ATX Community

client and her "dominant" husband

Janitor Bob

repeat client comes to me every year with the same situation...I don't think there is any way to help her, but though I'd explain it here to see if any of you know something I don't:

Client and husband are married...have been for many years...although I'm not sure why. He keeps all of his finances separate and secret....He owns the home and pays the property taxes, utilities, etc and gives her an occasional allowance.

She works a low-paying part time job and does some Sch C 1099-MISc work on the side. Every year, he files MFS and itemizes deductions. So every year, she has to file the same way...and every years owes in a LOT....In her words, its his way of keeping her down.

Is there anything she can do in this case.....It would not be so bad if she did not need to itemize...she would even have a small refund.....but since he itemizes she must as well...and she has only state and local taxes withheld as a deduction.

any options for her other than divorce?

The only thing I can think of is whether or not he really is itemizing, and how will she know when he isn't? At some point the mortgage may be paid off, and then will the real estate taxes, other taxes and other deductions continue to be enough for him to itemize?

The only thing I can think of is whether or not he really is itemizing, and how will she know when he isn't? At some point the mortgage may be paid off, and then will the real estate taxes, other taxes and other deductions continue to be enough for him to itemize?

Yes, the mortgage might be for only 30 years. Who knows she might be lucky and only 20 years left.

repeat client comes to me every year with the same situation...I don't think there is any way to help her, but though I'd explain it here to see if any of you know something I don't:

Client and husband are married...have been for many years...although I'm not sure why. He keeps all of his finances separate and secret....He owns the home and pays the property taxes, utilities, etc and gives her an occasional allowance.

She works a low-paying part time job and does some Sch C 1099-MISc work on the side. Every year, he files MFS and itemizes deductions. So every year, she has to file the same way...and every years owes in a LOT....In her words, its his way of keeping her down.

Is there anything she can do in this case.....It would not be so bad if she did

not need to itemize...she would even have a small refund.....but since he itemizes she must as well...and she has only state and local taxes withheld as a deduction.

any options for her other than divorce?

Have her file before him....using the standard deduction . Then he'll have to file the same way.

• Like 1

Agreed Pacun...I mulled this over last year when I considered trying to get her done first. I came to the conclusion that regardless of when she filed, if she filed claiming the normal standard deduction for MFS and got her refund, IRS "could" at some point come back and say "Hey, your spouse itemized, so your deduction should have been zero...give us our refund back...plus some more for interest.

I guess I don't understand this. Both are spouses. Why is the determining factor the one who chooses to itemize even if not the first to file? I admit I've done no research on this but what if they were physically separated and had no contact? Does that still hold? Why isn't the second to file 'audited' with a nasty gram and told to take standard deduction as did the spouse first to file?

I guess I don't understand this. Both are spouses. Why is the determining factor the one who chooses to itemize even if not the first to file? I admit I've done no research on this but what if they were physically separated and had no contact? Does that still hold? Why isn't the second to file 'audited' with a nasty gram and told to take standard deduction as did the spouse first to file?

Simply because the rules is something like this: If you are filing MFS and your spouse itemizes, your standard deduction is 0 but you may itemize.

Client actually called IRS last year and talked to a live person. For whatever its worth, they told her the same thing.....If he itemized...regardless of who filed first, her standard deduction would be zero and her only option would be to itemize using whatever few itemized deductions she might have.

they live in the home together - why wouldn't she get half or part of the mortgage interest, property taxes? is the home in her name as well?

I think you are better off "letting this one go".

You must own the property and PAY the mortgage in order to deduct it.

I remember her sad story from last year's tax season. Think of them as roommates. He pays all the bills, she lives there rent free, except for the amount she pays in annual taxes because of this arrangement.

Maybe she has some other "responsibilities." Who knows. Really, who cares. She has made her choice. She may enjoy the attention and time that you and others invest in commiserating with her about her miserable husband.

Move on. My guess is, she'll be back next year, with the same sad story. :(

• Like 1