ATX Community

Learned a valuable efile lesson!

HV Ken

Created a new return for dependent child, but by mistake put in father's SSN. Fortunately, the son's first name was after the father's alphabetically, so the son's efile was rejected due to the duplication of SSN. If it was the other way around, that would have created a very embarrassing scenario for me to explain!

From now on, I will efile the parent's first, wait for the ack, then efile all the kiddies afterwards.

• Like 5

Created a new return for dependent child, but by mistake put in father's SSN. Fortunately, the son's first name was after the father's alphabetically, so the son's efile was rejected due to the duplication of SSN. If it was the other way around, that would have created a very embarrassing scenario for me to explain!

From now on, I will efile the parent's first, wait for the ack, then efile all the kiddies afterwards.

I have been doing that ever since I had a scenario where it was the other way around....

A little more work tracking the e-files, but much less than fixing the mess the other way....

Lesson learned.

I appreciate hearing of "stupid mistakes" as they make me feel better knowing I'm not the only one. And I realized my most recent stupid mistake certainly wont be my last. Im amazed I dont have more given the increasing pressure and time constraints brought on by tax season.

• Like 4

My experience is that clients can forgive mistakes easily....even the embarrassing ones. They've all made mistakes too...we're all human after all. What really matters is accepting repsonsibility and offering a solution, even if it means that you need their help to get it done. I offer the same respect/compassion to professionals that perform services for me because thats how I want to be treated when it is my turn.

• Like 7

The guy who just picked up got two amended forms. Five minutes after I got the return done, he would come in with an amended form. I gave him all three tax returns I did. Not counting the one with blood from the stapler incident.

Next year I won't even start on his till April 10.

We don't even have four months any longer for tax season. By the time IRS opens up, then you have to wait for the 1099's. One of my Wells Fargo client's has had four amended 1099's already. Several of mine had problems even getting 1099R's. I am seriously exhausted.

Some of the 1099R forms had to be faxed to me. Others that were sent as amendments had absolutely NO changes on them whatsoever. This has been investment nightmare year. In some cases if I hadn't asked where their 1099 consolidation sheet was, it would have gone totally ignored until the CP2000 came a callin'.

• Like 1

Hey, Rita, I tell my clients they're lucky I don't charge by the pound of paper. I do have one now that hasn't returned signature pages; if they ask for another rerun with more "found" deductions, I'm going to charge them for the rerun. Or return their papers.

• Like 2

Yesterday I gave the client back all her documents - originals plus my copies. I walked her out and when I returned to my desk, my copies were nowhere to be found! I have been known to give the client the (only) 8879 rather than their copy. But this was the first time I ever gave them everything.