ATX Community

how many returns do you personally complete

Philip1117

I think nobody ever knows about most of the ones that screw up, and they are gone forever. You know, like putting mortgage interest on both Schedule A and Schedule E, valuing that yard sale crap nobody would buy at thousands of dollars, deducting church donations on Schedule C, deducting gifts to individuals, deducting all your meals, deducting both SMR and gasoline. And multiplying by ten.

Ok, I'm depressed.

You mean you can't do those things? Now I'm depressed, too. :o

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

I am a small sole proprietor which operates nights and weekends and do about 200 returns give or take. (mixture of personal-small business-rentals-stock investors) Each return includes federal, state, and local filings.

I work a full-time job (9 to 5) during the week which is my reason I do have to apologize that I don't participate much on the community site; however I do appreciate reading all of your professional input when I get the chance.

I met with my last client for signature and e-filed it on a quick run home at lunch today and I'm so glad to be finished with the bulk of this year. :D

About 12 on extension.

Enjoy tomorrow everyone............I surely know I will be doing something unrelated to taxes............... ;)

A Happy and Blessed Easter to all !

• Like 5

As my part-time gig, I have approx. 120 unique clients...some more unique than others. As my part-time job along with my 8-5 accounting/shipping job, I just physically cannot handle more than that. State returns included OH, IN, KY, PA, MT, ND, CA, and CO.

Lost a few clients due to my policy of not preparing a return that includes questionable deductions (i.e. the total cost of an unlinited data plan cell phone because she just HAD to have it to sell her Mary Kay)...and sadly lost several this year because they passed away in 2012 (I will especially miss Ivan the Mad Russian..."you will do my taxes right, so KGB not break you!".

However, I obtained more than I lost via referrals. What I will NOT miss is the feeling of being a prisoner in my own home....never knowing when its safe to shower or poop for fear of un-scheduled client arrivals. Never being able to schedule anything for myself because my clients see appointments as a general goal rather than a time at which they need to arrive. I will miss the money...paid for my daughter's Spring Semester at college.

• Like 6

Haven't you learned never to go to the bathroom without the telephone? I sent my girl home this AM; just called to see if she can come back in for a few hours. Getting crazy around here. When I finally get to bed tonight, I want to be able to sleep.

• Like 2

I admire and am miffed by the number of returns many people can personally prepare in a year.

My numbers are not enough close and I wish I knew how to do more, especially since I work 7 days a week in this business for 10 weeks. I have very few "just W-2" returns. When people show up, I try to minimize the small talk but that usually ends up being longer than I prefer.

And then when you are working on the return and you ask for business miles for a Schedule C, they always look up at the ceiling, I look to, but I never see the numbers they must be seeing; they move their head back and forth and then I guess it just shows up for them. But consider the time just to fill out that one line. Then you have the education credit and all they have is the 1098-T. Or the the question did you install replacement windows or replace the furnace - yeah, I paid 2300 for a furnace. Now they need to find the receipt. And mom lived with you last year, how much did she make - not much. OK so this goes on and on and before you know it well over an hour has passed, maybe close to two. And you are not finished, not even close. And you need to reopen their return every time they call back with the info because it is not complete. And then you have people calling to schedule/ reschedule; there is copying, mailing, keeping track of the billings, etc.

So HOW do you prepare so many returns in a one person shop? I believe we all have the same amount of time available - 24 hours per day. If the answer is extensions, OK. Or is there something else you do that enables you to prepare so many returns?

• Like 2

As a Prt-time gig working from Home with wife helping with input completed about 280+ Individual, 48 Corps and about 90 Partnerships..(including 15 Ext).

Thank you every one for the great advice and the answers you all give during the season. I have been doing this for about 18year and still learn every day from this place.

• Like 1

I admire and am miffed by the number of returns many people can personally prepare in a year.

My numbers are not enough close and I wish I knew how to do more, especially since I work 7 days a week in this business for 10 weeks. I have very few "just W-2" returns. When people show up, I try to minimize the small talk but that usually ends up being longer than I prefer.

And then when you are working on the return and you ask for business miles for a Schedule C, they always look up at the ceiling, I look to, but I never see the numbers they must be seeing; they move their head back and forth and then I guess it just shows up for them. But consider the time just to fill out that one line. Then you have the education credit and all they have is the 1098-T. Or the the question did you install replacement windows or replace the furnace - yeah, I paid 2300 for a furnace. Now they need to find the receipt. And mom lived with you last year, how much did she make - not much. OK so this goes on and on and before you know it well over an hour has passed, maybe close to two. And you are not finished, not even close. And you need to reopen their return every time they call back with the info because it is not complete. And then you have people calling to schedule/ reschedule; there is copying, mailing, keeping track of the billings, etc.

So HOW do you prepare so many returns in a one person shop? I believe we all have the same amount of time available - 24 hours per day. If the answer is extensions, OK. Or is there something else you do that enables you to prepare so many returns?

Clay:

You should take this to another thread, and then, LEARN from that.

All they have is the 1098-T? Then send them home with a list, books, board, etc. And if the tuition is over $4k, it doesn't matter.

If I have a two hour appointment with someone, I am going to make $1,000 on that return. Not $300.

Control the interview.

Rich

PS: I have a sign with flashing numbers on the ceiling, I just ask them to "pick one" ;)

As my part-time gig, I have approx. 120 unique clients...some more unique than others. As my part-time job along with my 8-5 accounting/shipping job, I just physically cannot handle more than that. State returns included OH, IN, KY, PA, MT, ND, CA, and CO.

Lost a few clients due to my policy of not preparing a return that includes questionable deductions (i.e. the total cost of an unlinited data plan cell phone because she just HAD to have it to sell her Mary Kay)...and sadly lost several this year because they passed away in 2012 (I will especially miss Ivan the Mad Russian..."you will do my taxes right, so KGB not break you!".

However, I obtained more than I lost via referrals. What I will NOT miss is the feeling of being a prisoner in my own home....never knowing when its safe to shower or poop for fear of un-scheduled client arrivals. Never being able to schedule anything for myself because my clients see appointments as a general goal rather than a time at which they need to arrive. I will miss the money...paid for my daughter's Spring Semester at college.

This about what my situation is. I have approx 136 clients that I file Federal and State for, down to 1 Partnership. Some of these are quite complex Farm Returns and Stock Sales. Most of the Farm Returns require quite a bit of bookkeeping (Say No to Shoe Box Accounting). Sometimes some people who use Quickbooks should not be allowed. Takes longer to correct. I no longer do Payroll as I can't compete with what ADP does and is not worth the hassle.

I also work full time in a Tax Department at a large global company that usually requires a 60 to 70 hour work week. I complete approx (With 1 other Co worker) 25 (Large) Corporation Consolidated Federal Returns along with numerous State returns that are either Separate, combined, or unitary. The Massachusetts Unitary return is the most difficult. At least these returns are on Extension until September 15th. But I never get to see the Summer Sun because of it.

I just am not able to complete more returns than I do for Individuals as there is not enough time during the filing period. I wish I could! It seems like this year there was not 1 simple easy return to do. All seemed to either be missing info or more teeth pulling. This part time work does help with the Finances greatly! My husband is disabled and it helps pay for college expenses for my 2 daughters.

• Like 3

I send them home with a list too, if they are missing items, including any kind of valuation for Goodwill, etc. donations. I also file a lot of extensions. One couple, I have most if not all of their stuff, but the final k1 came in very late. Contacted them about amounts due, and said: I could finish this, but yours is a very complex return (it is) and I'd rather be doing the final check when I have had ample rest and have a few more brain cells functioning.

Answer: thank you for being so thorough. And we will be in Sacramento May 4, can we take you out to dinner and finally meet face to face?

• Like 4

It's the nice clients that are keeping me from actually retiring. One couple moved about 200 miles away, but still brings their stuff to me each year. One year the wife left her scarf, but didn't want me to mail it. A couple of months later we were driving through their area so we dropped it off. They fixed us a yummy Columbian (where they were from originally) dinner.

• Like 1

We probably all have more nice clients than stinkers, don't we? I know I do. It's good to have everybody on here to tell my horror stories, but bottom line, I have a lot of fun flapping my yak with my folks, as MAS says, and it's a great feeling when somebody leaves with a big smile because an actual human being talked to them. Sometimes about things I don't want to know, but nonetheless...

• Like 6

I prepare 550 returns per year (most are Federal with Michigan, and Federal with other states for my out of state clients) I am up to just about 500 right now with the rest on extension for the late filers. I have worked alone for many years but last year with 2012 ATX problems I brought in a very capable friend to handle filing and check for rejects etc. What I spend for her to help me is how I "treat" myself these days. She is spoiling me... and I like it!

And this year she took care of the office last week while I was at the hospital with my husband.. she was handling phones, re-arranging appointments, taking drop-off's etc. It would have been a disaster without her.

Pam

Taxtrio

I love my assistant! This has really been the most stress free season I've had since my practice has gotten big. She's learned so much in the last year; some of the returns she keyed were only at my desk for review, not prep. Today she came in to make me clean off my desk and straighten up (found the desk eventually, BTW). We got all the extensions alphabetized except for the few that are not missing items, but we ran out of time. Offices vacuumed and sort of dusted.

I love my assistant! This has really been the most stress free season I've had since my practice has gotten big. She's learned so much in the last year; some of the returns she keyed were only at my desk for review, not prep. Today she came in to make me clean off my desk and straighten up (found the desk eventually, BTW). We got all the extensions alphabetized except for the few that are not missing items, but we ran out of time. Offices vacuumed and sort of dusted.

Does she have a sister that lives near Dayton Ohio??

I do this as a side ministry for pastors and religious workers only. All others I send to other preparers in the area. I have filed 196 returns so far and have 46 in the hopper on extensions. My problem is, this year I have done returns in 30 states and for missionaries in 4 or 5 countries. Really slows me down to make sure they are correct. Thank goodness there are people like Catherine who is willing to bail me out on a state return that I can't seem to get straight. I should have expressed my appreciation for all you folks before now, your knowledge base has proved to be a big help, and then there is Jack solving all my computer problems. This year would have been a lot tougher without all you folks here. Thanks. Have a great Easter! Remember, He is Risen!

• Like 3